  1. ERIC

    ERIC Guest

    will a pci express 2.0 card work in a pci express 1.0 slot ?

    ERIC, Jan 31, 2009

  2. ERIC

    Paul Guest

    Yes.

    The only exception I'm aware of, was some early problems with 8800 GT.
    That was resolved with those cards having their onboard BIOS flash
    updated. With any other modern video cards, that problem should be
    resolved. (That means, the manufacturers will now be testing
    for problems, before the customers do the test for them.)

    I do see reports of a certain motherboard, having problems with a
    wide range of cards, and again, I would not conclude from that,
    that the standards are not backward compatible. If both the
    chipset and motherboard conform to standards, it should work.
    Research your own motherboard, if you have suspicions that the
    video slots don't work well.

    There is a hint here, as to how it works. The real PCI Express
    standards cost money, and I'm too cheap to buy a copy.

    See PDF page 14... Page 18 and 19 demonstrate some operations.

    http://www.pcisig.com/developers/ma...c_id=61e36ecb21d77e8899b9eb90964eb648a3ce54ae

    "Revert back to Gen 1 if a higher speed is totally inoperable
    Revert back to prior speed if a speed change did not succeed"

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 1, 2009

  3. ERIC

    deimos Guest

    To the best of my knowledge, there was like _ONE_ motherboard (some
    micro ATX Asus board) that had compatibility problems with PCIE 2.0 cards.

    deimos, Feb 1, 2009