    to play quite a few of the games coming out in the next few months such as
    Half Life 2 and Doom 3 etc.

    Thanks for any advice.

    Interesting Ian, Apr 25, 2004

  2. Interesting Ian

    Ed Guest

    Asus shows up to a 3000+ Barton for that board, see here,
    http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    I run a Barton 3200+ w/Radeon 9800 Pro 128, fast enough for all of
    todays games, not sure about tomorrow. ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Hmmm . .dunno what a Barton is really. Seems I will have to flash my BIOS
    though :-(

    BTW, a 9800 pro should be getting even lower in price over the next couple
    of months with the introduction of this new nvidia card shouldn't it? With
    a bit of luck I should be able to get an XP2800 and a 9800pro for £200 :)
    That's if I don't destroy my MoBo when flashing the BIOS :-(

    Interesting Ian, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Interesting Ian

    Ed Guest

    The Barton (Model 10) has 512K L2 cache and runs on a 333 or 400 FSB.
    T-Breds (Model 8) have 256K L2 and run on a 266 or 333 FSB.
    I would expect prices to drop but not any faster then they have been.
    With DDR ram prices going sky-hi IOW if video cards/ram is next?

    Flashing shouldn't be a problem, just follow Asus's directions for
    *your* board.

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 26, 2004