    Is it only the Thoroughbred type B that can be overclocked to 200MHz FSB, or
    can the Barton core 3000+ also be run at 200MHz?

    John

    John Boy, Jul 21, 2003

  2. John Boy

    jibby Guest

    Depends how lucky you are with the chip t-breds tend to oc better but you
    should be ok just lower your multiplier and up the vcore if needed make sure
    your ram/power supply etc are up to it and also your chip cooling should be
    the best you can obtain

    jibby, Jul 21, 2003

  3. John Boy

    John Boy Guest

    Thanks for the advice.

    John Boy, Jul 22, 2003
  4. John Boy

    Ben Pope Guest

    The Barton core is the only core that officially supports 200MHz FSB.

    The 3000+ is 166MHz * 13 = 2.17GHz, so 200MHz * 10.5 or 11 would work fine.
    If you don't change your multiplier, you're up at 200MHz * 13 = 2.6GHz, a
    big no no.

    In order to get your multiplier below 13, you would need either need to use
    a motherboard that supports the 5th multiplier bit, or hard mod the chip.

    You may want to let us know exactly what you're trying to achieve.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 22, 2003
  5. John Boy

    John Boy Guest

    Thanks Ben;
    if the T'Bred 2600+ can be run to 200MHz FSB (I have Corsair PC3200 and
    A7N8X rev 2) then that would be a much cheaper option in the UK than buying
    a Barton 3000+, assuming fairly similar processing ability. On the other
    hand, if the 3000+ can be run at 200MHz FSB then I would probably buy the
    3000+.

    John

    John Boy, Jul 22, 2003
  6. John Boy

    Ben Pope Guest

    Well, since the Barton 2500+ is identical to the 3000+, is cheaper than the
    2600+ last time I checked, and all can be run at 200MHz FSB, you know what
    to do.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 22, 2003
  7. John Boy

    The Cybrow Guest

    Just a footnote guys, one of my buds just built a system using the new
    3000+ 400. It is about $30 more expensive than a 3000+ 333. As you
    noted the 2600+ is much cheaper, about $150 to $175 cheaper.

    The Cybrow, Jul 22, 2003
  8. John Boy

    Ben Pope Guest

    Ben Pope, Jul 22, 2003