    in the past as long as it was Dell OEM OS to Dell PC with same owner for
    both there was never a problem but wondering if Vista is going to be
    different with Dells..

    Pinger, Mar 14, 2007

  2. Pinger

    PeterD Guest

    So to get this straight, you are asking if it is OK (or possible) to
    steal Vista to put on your other computers?

    PeterD, Mar 14, 2007

  3. Pinger

    Steve W. Guest

    No, he is admitting that he HAS already stolen software before and wants
    to do it again. Just a typical criminal looking for validation that he
    isn't doing anything wrong.

    Steve W., Mar 15, 2007
  4. Pinger

    Doughnut Guest

    yep oem disks from the vendor will usually install on another pc if that
    model is still in production, you may need a bios update as the disk looks
    at the bios before installation. If your bios is not recognised you may
    well have to give a cd and they activate it.
    Obviously i dont condone piracy ;)

    doughnut

    Doughnut, Mar 15, 2007
  5. Pinger

    Jackie Guest

    You two can't be serious?? That had to be the two single most rediculas
    responces I ever heard here!! He BOUGHT the computers from Dell with the
    "operation system" so it is HIS to uninstall or reinstall if he likes or
    install on other computer he owns!! WOW!! You monks better get back to the
    monestary before role call... I've done what he has asked, my brothers have
    done it, my friends have done it, my teachers have done it and I could go on
    and on.. AND when a newer version of Word or Works or Roxio or what ever I
    use the new software to update my other computer too.. I paid for it and
    that's that.. I'm totally blown away by you two!!

    Jackie, Mar 15, 2007
  6. Pinger

    Tom Scales Guest

    Sorry, but you have no clue if you believe this to be true.

    The operating system is 'owned' by the computer on which it came. Same with
    any eligible upgrades. It is ABSOLUTELY STEALING to install a Dell OS on
    any machine other than the machine on which it came.

    Period.

    You are too. If you put an upgrade version of an application on one
    computer and the original version on another computer, YOU ARE STEALING.

    You know, I know it, we all know it.

    Rationlize however you want.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 15, 2007
  7. Pinger

    Bob Levine Guest

    You're the one who can't be serious! But on behalf of all the honest
    people out there I'd like to thank you and all the idiots like you who
    are responsible for all the activation headaches the rest of us have to
    put up with to keep jerks like you from stealing.

    BGob

    Bob Levine, Mar 15, 2007
  8. Pinger

    Jaycob Guest

    "Obviously i dont condone piracy ;)"
    Me either ;) ;) But I also upgrade software to my old computer from my
    new discs to keep work I do on one interchangeable with the other(this
    includes operating systems as rare as that happens since it takes 5 years
    for MS to come up with useable ones, god knows I'm still looking for my
    refund for Windows ME LOL). To be honest I thought Steve W. and PeterD were
    kidding in they're responses but I guess not.. A bit over the top if you
    ask me, they probably never downloaded from napster or limewire either ;)

    Jaycob, Mar 15, 2007
  9. Well, you may or may not be able to do it ... trying it will be the only
    way to find out. Regardless, it won't be legal (but not everyone cares
    about that).

    Barry Watzman, Mar 15, 2007
  10. Re: "Me either ;) ;) But I also upgrade software to my old computer
    from my new discs to keep work I do on one interchangeable with the other"

    You are contradicting yourself. Installing a single purchased copy of a
    later version of software on multiple machines IS theft, and doing it
    makes you a thief. Your opinion to the contrary is simply irrelevant.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 15, 2007
  11. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    I certainly don't. But Windows Genuine Advantage certainly encourages
    compliance. I will find out if my very old student XP Pro passes that
    test.

    Journey, Mar 15, 2007
  12. Pinger

    Pinger Guest

    Sorry for causing the uproar here, to be completely honest I have to plead
    innocent by ignorance.. I thought when I bought the computer I bought the OS
    also, kind of like buying a book and letting others in the house read it or
    buying a video tape and making a copy for my kids to watch on their VCR( I
    know I'm showing my age now), so I thought the OS was mine to use but not
    abuse by copying it for others to use or making a copy and reselling it...
    I actually only did it twice, win95 to win98 and Win98 to XP (dell computers
    of course) but I guess that was 2 times 2 many. I always run Windows
    Genuine Advantage tool on both computers and never had a problem when
    updating, weird it didn't notice? Darn, sorry again, Definitely MY BAD!!

    Pinger, Mar 15, 2007
  13. Pinger

    S.Lewis Guest

    Good rule of thumb: if the machine you intended to install any MS OS doesn't
    have a COA/license/label that matches the specific version you're going to
    install, then it's illegal.

    There are one-time exceptions, such as legit MS upgrades.

    S.Lewis, Mar 15, 2007
  14. Pinger

    RnR Guest

    Frankly, I've had too many problems with MS (in one case directly with
    MS) to care any more.

    RnR, Mar 15, 2007
  15. Pinger

    Lez Pawl Guest

    you ever done 55/60 in a 50 limit...............no of course you haven't

    if you have, you too have broken the law.............but then you never have
    have you.

    Lez Pawl, Mar 15, 2007
  16. Pinger

    Lez Pawl Guest

    who gives a ding dong, if you have bought and paid for both computers and
    all the software and you the only one using them, then do what you want,
    that's my Phil Osofy.................many many many others have and after
    all you aint killing anyone are you.

    Lez Pawl, Mar 15, 2007
  17. Pinger

    Tom Scales Guest

    Pretty big difference between speeding and theft, don't you think? I don't
    know what you do for a living, but would you like it if for every item you
    sold, someone stole three or four? I've made a living on software for a
    long time and theft hurts.

    Tom Scales, Mar 15, 2007
  18. Pinger

    PeterD Guest

    Very serious...

    Right, I've never downloaded from Napster or Limewire!

    The bottom line is that I write both software and books for a living.
    What was suggested was stealing, plain and simple. There is no
    justification for doing that, and if one wants to 'upgrade' their
    computers, they can buy upgrades from the local store, or from Dell
    (who, IIRC, offer a discount to Dell owners).

    PeterD, Mar 15, 2007
  19. Pinger

    PeterD Guest

    I *AM* serious.
    The OS that came with the computer, not one that came with a
    *different* computer.
    No, it is NOT! He agreed to a license agreement. If he does what he
    suggests he wants to, he is stealing, plain and simple.
    I'm no angel, but I do know the difference between right and wrong.
    So, I know someone who raped a 13 year old girl. That doesn't make it
    right, does it?
    So you are an admitted thief. Puts the value of your opinions right at
    the bottom of the barrel...

    PeterD, Mar 15, 2007
  20. Pinger

    Paul Guest

    Technically not legal, ALTHOUGH my feelings are if you buy the Retail
    Version you should be able to install it on another computer as long as 1.
    Another computer in YOUR Household 2. That computer has a LEGAL version of
    XP already on it (I feel Vista is just another update of XP).. OEM should
    not be reinstalled on any other computer for it was purchased by Dell for
    ONE computer at a reduced price where when YOU buy the Retail Version you
    pay full price.. Just my 2 cents here...

    Paul, Mar 15, 2007