    being hurt by these programs, they put they're life into music and limewire
    and Napster creates a place for musical internet theft.. Believe it or not
    people are trying to make a LIVING creating music and software!!

    Paul, Mar 15, 2007

  2. Pinger

    Tom Scales Guest

    MS offers a family upgrade pack for Vista for just this situation.

    One license = one computer

    Tom Scales, Mar 15, 2007

  3. Such rationalization.

    There is a big difference between violating an ordinance (which isn't
    even a misdemeanor) and a felonly.

    Speeding is illegal, but in the absence of an accident, there is no
    victim. Copyright infringement is theft, and there is a specific victim.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 15, 2007
  4. Pinger

    Ork . Guest

    MS has a bargain:
    If you buy Boxed Vista Ultimate, you can install it on a second computer
    and get a license for about 50 bucks..

    I have used my W-Xp upgrade disk on several computers and obtained
    licenses from MS for $82.00 plus tax.

    Ork ., Mar 15, 2007
  5. Pinger

    S.Lewis Guest

    Two wrongs/still wrong.

    Speeding is speeding. Stealing is stealing.

    Noise to the contrary is rationalized fluff.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 15, 2007
  6. Pinger

    Tom Scales Guest

    I thought the bargain was to buy Ultimate, put Home Premium on a second
    computer for $50, isn't it?

    Love a link, as I have a lot of computers I 'might' upgrade.

    Tom Scales, Mar 15, 2007
  7. you are making assumptions that may not be true.
    i don't assume the worst in people.
    perhaps he wants to see how good or how miserable it runs on a particular
    machine before he wastes his money on it only to find that he not only
    wasted his time with misleading promises of compatibility but also wasted
    his cash (since no store allows returns of opened software as far as i
    know). if i had any interest in vista i certainly would test a copy of it
    before purchasing it for upgrading an entire office full of machines. i
    think all the talk about piracy is a waste of time and know that the
    security measures by software companies is definitely a waste of time for
    honest people like myself. most people are honest. if that wasn't the case
    then there would be rampant crime in all aspects of life. but if it works
    for you, then go ahead and assume the worst in others. if you just wanted
    to caution him that his license does not permit multiple installations or
    some similar warning (assuming that you even know what sort of license he
    has) then fine, but you just plainly called a total stranger a thief. i
    find that absurd.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 15, 2007
  8. Pinger

    georgie Guest

    georgie, Mar 15, 2007
  9. Pinger

    Lez Pawl Guest

    in the absence of an accident.................and if there is an accident
    what then.

    Lez Pawl, Mar 15, 2007
  10. Pinger

    Tom Scales Guest

    Tom Scales, Mar 15, 2007
  11. Barry Watzman, Mar 15, 2007
  12. Pinger

    PeterD Guest

    He can see that on the computer he bought with Vista. Besides, he
    already agreed NOT to do this... So he agrees to one thing, does
    another, and tries to justify violating his original license
    agreement...
    He has a 'test' copy of vista, on a computer. What he wanted to do was
    'upgrade' all his other computers.
    I agree, *most* people are honest. But the few bad apples, so to
    speak, have really messed things up for the reamining honest majority.
    The OP is in the 'bad apple' category.
    He already knows that. He read the license agreement, agreed to the
    terms. The OP is not an innocent victim, he is the victimizer and the
    victims are you and me, we end up putting up with higher prices,
    bloated 'protection' against the likes of him, all so he can get a
    free ride.
    OK. But since he started by posting that he wanted to steal software,
    I tend to think there is little defense to his being considered a
    thief.

    PeterD, Mar 15, 2007
  13. Pinger

    Joe Guest

    So, let's all shed some tears for Bill Gates and his starving children.

    Joe, Mar 15, 2007
  14. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    A person's values are not absolute, especially when dealing with a
    monopoly that is allowed for all practical purposes to continue
    unhindered.

    I personally feel that, for myself, it's a moral imperative to steal
    from Microsoft whenever possible :) I think Bill Gates has enough
    money, companies have been put out of business and lives affected,
    because of that monopoly.

    I won't impose my values on your or others though.

    Unfortunately, I haven't had many chances to steal from MS, and I can
    get software at deep student-rate discounts, so my life is simpler to
    not have to deal with Windows Genuine Advantage.

    Journey, Mar 16, 2007
  15. Pinger

    S.Lewis Guest

    No, rather, let's shed some tears if we care to sacrifice our own integrity
    by stealing software from him whether or not we like or respect him.

    ?

    You first.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 16, 2007
  16. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    P.S. -- I do support companies for all my other software, and the cost
    of it is very significant. Many companies have given me software for
    free based on my activity in their forums during product development,
    and some even have given me discounted or free software simply because
    I wrote an e-mail asking for it, saying that their software would be
    very useful in managing my life, but I can't afford the cost of the
    software.

    There are three very expensive programs that I can think of off the
    top of my head, which, of course I am not going to post the names of
    because that would be doing them a disservice for their goodwill to
    me.

    Journey, Mar 16, 2007
  17. Pinger

    Tom Scales Guest

    Wow, what a great rationalization.

    So, for companies and owners that are losing money, you'll pay extra, right?
    Say I created the next best operating system out of my garage, but was
    losing money on it. What would you pay for it? $100? $1000? $10,000.

    Or do your moral victories only work in YOUR favor?

    Tom Scales, Mar 16, 2007
  18. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    LOL, let's see how judgemental we can get.

    The fact is that Microsoft's monopoly steals billions of dollars,
    depending on one's viewpoint. Want validation about that? The EU
    fined MS about $600 million for unfair trade practices, and that was
    just a random article I happened to catch.

    For software developers like you, on the other hand, in contrast to my
    statement about MS, I do think it's a moral imperative to support
    them.

    Examples are:

    - Acronis True Image -- $49, a good product.

    - The company that sells Object Dock, which is a great launcher
    similar to the Mac's for Windows.

    - Agent 4.2, which I am using to post this.

    - The Journal, by David Soft -- much more than a journaling program.
    It can be used for info. management, project notebooks, logging.

    - All of my Palm software.

    - MP3 tag software

    .... and many others ...

    And I have gotten a lot of software free or at deep disounts, as
    stated in another thread, just by asking.

    (and I _do_ know how to pirate software, in ways much more efficient
    than the peer to peer programs -- I could easily have had most of hte
    above)

    Even prior to Windows Genuine Advantage I did buy MS products even
    though I could have gotten them for free or shared the cost with a
    friend. That included Windows XP, all versions of Office since XP,
    and all versions of MS Visual Studio Enterprise (or equivalent) since
    Visual Studio 6.

    The school that I go to gives out free copies of XP Pro, Windows
    Server, SQL Server, and other software (even non MS) required for the
    classes. It may be time limited.

    The student discount for Office 2000, for example, was around $35. XP
    Pro, $45. Office 2004 for the Mac, when I dabbled in that, $80.
    Office 2007 was try before I buy, I tried, and no thanks.

    Journey, Mar 16, 2007
  19. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    In another thread I talked about non-MS software. If I am a
    rationalizer, so be it. I'll take that moniker when it comes to doing
    my role to oppose the MS monopoly.

    There are a lot of caveats that are too much to post here, such as if
    one is using it for a living, developing software for sale.

    As stated though, student discounts have kept me legal, for the most
    part :)

    And yes, Tom, I would pay for your OS software, but it has to be able
    to run Windows programs. After all that's for all practical purposes
    the only game in town. You would be fighting a monopoly though, and
    would lose, even if you had a billion $ backing you up.

    Journey, Mar 16, 2007
  20. Pinger

    Tom Scales Guest

    OK, why aren't you running Linux with Lindows and StarOffice?

    Isn't Dell too big for you? Shouldn't you be getting machines from your
    local Mom and Pop?

    Clearly you've never been in the software industry. Do you really think all
    the money goes to Bill Gates? What about the janitors at Microsoft. The
    receptionist. The other hourly workers. You're stealing from THEM too.
    Gates is just a shareholder. It's the employees and their potential for
    small end-of-the-year bonuses that you're stealing.

    Yes, stealing. Wrap whatever words around it you want, but it is stealing.

    Let me guess. You've got a great rationlization for all those mp3s you've
    downloaded too. The record companies are too big. I won't pay for a CD if
    I only like one song. Who does it really hurt? All those artists are too
    rich.

    I can't STAND hypocrits.

    Tom Scales, Mar 16, 2007