    no confusion about how the product can and can not be used and that would
    probably have more impact on stoping piracy than all the copy protection
    schemes that are not only a nuisance but virtually all able to be broken.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 16, 2007

  2. Pinger

    Tom Scales Guest

    What exactly is it that makes you eligible for deep discounts? That you
    can't afford it?

    Are they necessities? Where are they on Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

    If you can't afford it, do without.

    And yes, I understand the irony that it is coming from someone that can
    write a check for whatever he wants. Where do you think my money came from?

    I worked HARD at it. Many years of 100 hour weeks, busting my ass. In the
    software industry.

    Tom Scales, Mar 16, 2007

  3. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    It never hurts to ask. They can say yes or no and sometimes they say
    yes, sometimes they say no.

    There is a financially legitimate reason for me to ask, and the
    software supports specific needs in my life.

    Without going into too much detail, I am on about 14 different
    medications, and that drastically affects my memory. (I am hoping
    that someday I don't need a liver transplant due to my body having to
    process all of that).

    Most of the software I have requested supports logging and retrieval
    of information (maybe all of it -- I don't remember, I'd have to check
    what I have requested which I stored in one of those programs).

    I too was a software professional in various roles including systems
    analyst, DBA, data analyst (there is a difference but my
    responsibilities were combined), trainer, etc., and put in my time
    too.

    Journey, Mar 16, 2007
  4. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    I'm glad that you had the chance to vent your feelings.

    Now back to regular programming.

    Journey, Mar 16, 2007
  5. It also applies to the EU, not to the US.

    So it's okay to steal from MS? This is the most self serving post yet.

    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 16, 2007
  6. If the MS monopoly is such a bug up your ass, why don't you go to work
    the the govt's Anti Trust Division? (probably a good idea to have JD
    after your name, but they might need a few tech types to wade thru the
    crappola)

    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 16, 2007
  7. This topic comes up repeatedly. I believe what's tied to the computer is
    the COA on the side of the case. If I use the Dell OS CD/DVD to install
    Windows on another computer, perhaps not even a Dell, which also has a
    COA for whichever OS you're diddling with, I see no violation of MS's
    EULA. The software is tied to the COA, not to the CD/DVD.

    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 16, 2007
  8. I was cited for 79 in a 50 about a year ago, does that count? ;)
    Not a very good analogy, IMHO. Speeding is a trivial violation, perhaps
    not "breaking the law", which could be regulations, ordinances, etc.

    Theft of intellectual property is not.

    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 16, 2007
  9. What are the specifics of the accident?

    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 16, 2007
  10. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    I'm already employed by the CIA, and don't want to spread myself too
    thin :)

    Journey, Mar 16, 2007
  11. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    Viva la revolucion.

    Journey, Mar 16, 2007
  12. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    If I had a choice, I'd rather be a hypocrit [sic] than a hippopotamus.

    (on second thought, being a hippopotamus might be cool, but only for a
    day)

    Journey, Mar 16, 2007
  13. Pinger

    S.Lewis Guest

    That's the way I treat it as well. I have to at times. There are plenty of
    people with a COA on the box but no media (lost, didnt order it, whatever).

    S.Lewis, Mar 16, 2007
  14. Pinger

    Steve W. Guest

    Yes I can be serious. He DID buy the computers but he got OEM versions
    of the software. That means that software is tied to the computer it
    came with NO OTHER COMPUTER. Happens to be a fact that your method is
    software piracy AKA being a thief. Glad to hear your surrounded by thieves.

    Steve W., Mar 17, 2007
  15. Pinger

    Steve W. Guest

    Yes I have. Responding to emergency calls. The rest of the time I drive
    in the limit, ask the folks who have flipped me off or honked at me when
    they think I'm a roadblock. I KNOW all too well what happens to speeders
    when they get wiped out.

    --
    Steve W.

    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    skid in sideways, BBQ in one hand, martini in the other, body
    thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "WOO HOO what a ride!"

    Steve W., Mar 17, 2007
  16. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    The safest way to drive is with the flow of traffic, unless weather or
    visibility considerations dictate otherwise. Otherwise you're a
    moving obstacle which actually increases the risk of an accident.
    Nice quote, I have seen it several times before but have never gotten
    an attribute. Do you happen to know who wrote it? (or variations
    thereof). I'm a big fan of living life's journey to the fullest.

    Journey :)

    Journey, Mar 17, 2007
  17. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    Actually, this kind of stuck with me. Many people struggling to make
    it flipping burgers at McDonald's put in their time as much as an IT
    CIO or DBA.

    Just because they were born in a different environment, with fewer
    lucky breaks, or with certain DNA doesn't make them more or less
    worthy.

    A single mother struggling to raise 3 kids can be as much or more of a
    hero than an NFL quarterback (and certainly more heroic or competant
    than a US President).

    So, I'll opt out of my "I put in my time too" statement. Almost
    everyone is putting in their time in order to survive in this world. I
    am no more or less worthy than most people.

    And neither is someone who busted his ass in the software industry.

    Journey, Mar 17, 2007
  18. Pinger

    Tom Scales Guest

    OK, so let's talk about the McD's kid. Would his job last long if 50% of
    the hamburgers he flipped were stolen? Don't you think that McDonalds might
    go out of business?

    Who cares about what you do for a living? I used software developer as an
    example because 1) it is what I used to do and 2) we were talking about
    stealing software.

    Next discussion I'm in about stealing hamburgers, maybe I'll use a different
    example.

    Tom Scales, Mar 17, 2007
  19. Pinger

    Journey Guest

    This has been a useful thread for me. I really don't feel good about
    "stealing", even from Microsoft. That's why I have purchased software
    that I could have "shared" with a friend, such as all the versions of
    MS Office from XP on. Having a student discount helps. With Office
    6.0, MS let people use software at home for free that they use at
    work.

    I do have strong feelings about the "MS Monopoly", but that doesn't
    justify stealing. Two wrongs don't make a right.

    If I didn't have the student discount, I'm sure I'd use Open Office. I
    am glad that is available.

    I don't use MS Word though. My favorite word processor is Atlantis.

    http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/

    It's only $35, lightening fast, works well having and navigating
    through multiple open documents, and now is also available for the
    U3-smart flash drives with the same license.

    I looked at Macs recently because I am helping some elderly people
    find a computer that is easy to use for e-mail and other basic things,
    and the Mac store here sells "student discount" versions of MS Office
    to anyone for $150. I think they are violating MS's licensing.

    (my guess is that Macs are a better choice for many people that don't
    want to deal with things like blue screens of death, missing .dll's
    etc...)

    Journey, Mar 17, 2007
  20. if the worker was stealing hamburgers he would be fired.
    if the restaurant required that i make a 15 minute telephone call for
    permission before i could eat my hamburger because the car i was driving
    when i bought it crashed on my way home, or required that i eat it only in
    the particular car i happened to use when i picked it up at the drive
    through window then i would only buy that hamburger if there was no other
    restaurant to go to. in this case there really is not another restaurant to
    buy the hamburger given the momentum and critical mass that this one has
    achieved.
    i understand that there are development costs with software, and that
    developers need to get paid in order to be motivated to continue research
    and development, but the fact remains that the marginal cost of producing
    software is next to zero (the cost of a cd), and despite the ever increasing
    installed base of computers the price of operating system software has not
    decreased. and the monopolistic nature of operating system software remains
    unregulated when every other industry with monopolistic tendencies is.
    something is wrong with this picture, and it is larger than just the people
    making copies of things that they did not legitimately purchase.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 17, 2007