Will Hitachi Travelstar 60GB Internal Parallel ATA Hard Drive for Notebooks fit Inspiron 600M notebo

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by vamsi.aluru, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. vamsi.aluru

    vamsi.aluru Guest

    vamsi.aluru, Jul 21, 2006

  2. In general you can use any drive with the proper interface that fits
    (the issue being thickness, everything else is the same). The thinest
    drives are around 9mm thick, but some drives are 12.5mm thick. Most
    laptops will take a 12.5mm thick drive, but a few won't. So check that
    out. Of course if the new drive is 9.5mm thick or less, it's not an issue.

    Do watch the interface. Older laptops (and not all that old) use IDE
    drives, newer ones use SATA drives. You have to get that right, they
    are totally different and never the twain shall meet. I ***THINK***
    that the 600m uses SATA but I am not certain of that.

    Best Buy is probably not the best place to buy a laptop drive unless
    it's on sale. Check on Pricewatch, or check Newegg and ZipZoomFly. And
    I have not seen ANY notebook drives at Best Buy with a SATA interface
    (Parallel ATA = IDE).

    Barry Watzman, Jul 21, 2006

  3. vamsi.aluru

    vamsi.aluru Guest

    Hi Barry,
    THanks a lot.

    Actually I have tried to order in Dell site itself. I
    have found that they are also supplying EIDE ATA-5 interface type for
    600M laptop. The one I have to seen in BestBuy is Parallel ATA.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks
    Vamsi

    vamsi.aluru, Jul 21, 2006
  4. EIDE ATA-5 is just another name for Parallel ATA; as would be IDE.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 21, 2006