    If I upgrade my AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Thoroughbred 333FSB) to an AMD Athlon
    XP 3000+ (Barton 333FSB)?

    Cheers

    Logan, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Logan

    Toshi1873 Guest

    Back of envelope calcuation... 3000/2600 = 15% increase.

    Seems like a waste of a good 2600 CPU... if you're still
    at 256MB or 512MB RAM, upgrade that instead so that
    you're at 1GB (min).

    Then save up for a better video card (I usually upgrade
    video card one year, CPU/MB/RAM the other year).

    An Opteron144 + PC2100 ECC seems to be about 50% faster
    then my AthlonXP 2600+ chip (the Opteron148 + PC3200
    would've been a bigger bump). Of course, that would
    require a new motherboard + RAM.

    Toshi1873, Oct 1, 2004

  3. Logan

    rstlne Guest

    wouldnt think so

    rstlne, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Logan

    Gary Avrett Guest

    I upgraded from 2600mhz Barton to 3000mhz Barton after the chip failed. I
    did not notice a marked increase in speed but did notice 10 to 15 percent
    increase in CPU temp.
    I agree with the other post that stated to increase the ram.
    Gary

    Gary Avrett, Oct 6, 2004