    the antenna going to void the warranty?

    Thanks to all enthusiasts,
    Tony

    Tony, Aug 13, 2005

  2. Tony

    bobb Guest

    Only if u leave traces that u opened it!

    Sure there isn't already an antena in there?

    ---------------
    If your business is looking for quick free consulting,
    please ignore my replies. I only wish to reply to other
    engineers/administrators and home users who are stuck
    and not interested to give your business free consulting.

    Thank you.

    bobb, Aug 13, 2005

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    No, there is no antenna. I really looked for it, but no cable - only
    the wifi antenna (for which I just installed a card and it works
    perfectly - way better than my Cisco PCMCIA card). And I think for this
    model (14U), there actually isn't supposed to be a BT antenna.

    I did install the Bluetooth daugther card without the antenna and it
    even works, though the working range seems to be 10cm above the
    keyboard...

    By the way, without trying to sound silly, I found a place in the
    laptop where I can fit the antenna. I made a (horrible) picture of it.
    Do you think I could could place the antenna there or there will be
    interferences, heating problems or any kind of other malfunctions (or
    void the warranty again)? Here's the picture:

    http://vbcn.cpp-home.com/btantenna-1.jpg

    Of course it will be horizontally lying then and the signal pattern
    would be completely different - but it would still be better than
    without an antenna.

    Thanks,
    Tony

    Tony, Aug 13, 2005
  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Well, this spot is actually taken by the upper part and connector of
    the battery. I guess I shouldn't expect IBM to have left any open space
    in the system except if not designated for something.

    BTW, can I pay IBM to install it? How much will they charge me? (Just
    the BT antenna?) anywhere I can check?

    Tony, Aug 13, 2005
  5. Tony

    Notan Guest

    IBM?

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 13, 2005
  6. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Ok, Lenovo. You know what I mean - they did have this Easy Serv service
    - I'm not sure about it. Didn't find information about it.

    In other words - how can I install the bluetooth antenna without
    voiding the warranty?

    Tony, Aug 13, 2005
  7. Yes, it will void the warranty. Now as to whether or not anyone will be
    able to detect that it has been opened, maybe, maybe not.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 14, 2005
  8. Operating the device with no antenna could damage it. Don't do that.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 14, 2005
  9. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Well, I'm already spending too much time on this, so let me ask the
    last 2 questions before I start going in loops:

    1) Is it possible to give the laptop to an IBM/Lenovo service center
    (or whatever they have) and pay them to install the antenna? An IBM
    technician would, of course, not void the warranty. I am only asking
    because I didn't find any info on their website. I am interested how
    much they would charge for that.

    2) If I open the screen, do I void the warranty of the screen only or
    the whole system? I could forget about it and know that if it
    malfunctions I'd have to buy a new screen myself. Actually, I cannot
    figure out whether the LCD screen as a whole (cover and everything) is
    a CRU or not. I know it's parts are not, but how about installation of
    a new screen...

    And the BT radio I keep off, though if unused and on it should stay in
    standby mode and still possibly not damage the transmitter.

    Ok, thanks to everyone who bothered reading and responding...

    Best,
    Tony

    Tony, Aug 14, 2005
  11. Antenna installation in a laptop that doesn't have it factory installed
    is very difficult. The antenna is in the lid, the WiFi or Bluetooth
    card is in the base. You end up having to disassemble the entire
    laptop. IBM probably won't do it for you, at any cost. As far as the
    factory is concerned, this is not an approved upgrade: it's done at the
    factory when the laptop is built, or it's just not done, period. [There
    may well be regulatory approval issues, but believe me, at $70 to $100
    per hour, you don't want to pay for this on an hourly basis.]

    If you do it yourself, you will void the warranty. There is only one
    warranty, the one on the laptop (the entire laptop).

    In some cases, a different wiring harness from lid to base may be used
    for units with an antenna in the lid. The wires connecting the antenna
    to the base have to run through one of the hinges, and in many machines
    that is a harness wrapped to keep the wire from being subject to
    abrasion. If you run the wire through the hing by itself, it may have a
    very short lifespan.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 14, 2005