Will Leadtek Winfast A6600GT AGP8X card run on a AGP4X Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by tnguyen1au, Oct 23, 2005.

  1. tnguyen1au

    tnguyen1au Guest

    Dear All,
    I intended to upgrade my video card from a FX5200 to a Leadtek Winfast
    A6600GT TDH" 128mb AGP8X.
    The problem is my motherboard is very old (Gigabyte GA-7DXE) and it can
    only support up to AGP4X. (1.5v)
    Therefore when I went to the shop to buy it, the salesperson advised
    me to email to Leadtek to verify to make sure that the said card is
    AGP4X compatible (at least voltage-wise, i.e it can autodetect the
    mainboard AGP 2.0 type and switch to 1.5 v rather than the AGP 3.0
    design voltage of 0.8v)
    The box, nor manual of the card, does not mention anything about AGP4X.
    I have sent an email to Leadtek but while waiting for the official
    reply which might understandably take very long time, I would like to
    have your help to confirm for me:
    If you have actually used a Leadtek Winfast A6600GT TDH" 128mb AGP8X
    successfully on a AGPx4 motherboard?
    Then I will go out and buy the card straight away as it is only a
    limited offer in the store and will run out fast.
    (I also have a noname 400W PSU, hopefully the card can run on that as
    well).

    Thanks for your help.
    Regards,

    Crayfish.

    tnguyen1au, Oct 23, 2005

  2. tnguyen1au

    First of One Guest

    Yes, the card will work in your motherboard.

    For future reference, the AGP slot is keyed so cards with incompatible
    voltages won't fit. Those horror stories of smoking cards have been blown
    waaaay out of proportion.

    First of One, Oct 23, 2005