    so sales of the x86 CPU will decline
    what means this for Intel?
    (AMD will surely implode...)

    Nomen Nescio, Jun 7, 2012

  2. Nomen Nescio

    Intel Guy Guest

    Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > many reviewers of Win8 have been very negative.
    > even suggesting that Microsoft will drop to a distant
    > third behind Apple and Google.

    And you had to post this through an anonymous re-mailer?

    Odd.

    Intel Guy, Jun 8, 2012

  3. Nomen Nescio

    Trent Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 08:21:37 -0400 Intel Guy <> wrote in
    Message id: <>:

    >Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >
    >> many reviewers of Win8 have been very negative.
    >> even suggesting that Microsoft will drop to a distant
    >> third behind Apple and Google.

    >And you had to post this through an anonymous re-mailer?
    >
    >Odd.

    Not really... Trolls love anonymous re-mailers.

    Trent, Jun 8, 2012
  4. Nomen Nescio

    Intel Guy Guest

    Trent wrote:

    > >> many reviewers of Win8 have been very negative.
    > >> even suggesting that Microsoft will drop to a distant
    > >> third behind Apple and Google.

    > > And you had to post this through an anonymous re-mailer?
    > >
    > > Odd.

    > Not really... Trolls love anonymous re-mailers.

    But - the post didn't seem particularly troll-ish.

    How much of Intel's business is in some way tied to a Microsoft OS?

    Intel Guy, Jun 10, 2012
  5. Nomen Nescio

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 10/06/2012 7:01 AM, Intel Guy wrote:
    > But - the post didn't seem particularly troll-ish.
    >
    > How much of Intel's business is in some way tied to a Microsoft OS?

    Probably 99%.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 11, 2012
  6. Nomen Nescio

    JJ Guest

    LOL... sadly true.

    But Windows 8 is a gamble by Microsoft. If it does suck, it'll suck, and
    people will just keep Windows 7. Microsoft will eventually had to follow
    demands.

    Besides, Windows 8 is more focused for embedded devices. PCs will still
    live on. Intel will live on. Haven't you see "The Last Mimzy"?

    Yousuf Khan <> wrote in news:4fd58077
    @news.bnb-lp.com:

    JJ, Jun 12, 2012
  7. Nomen Nescio

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    I think Windows 8 will be generally successful on the tablets (both ARM
    & x86), not entirely sure there is anything compelling about it on
    traditional PC's though. I'm sure there will be a few upgraders to
    Windows 8, or most likely most people will just get it preinstalled with
    their latest PC's and they won't have any choice on the matter. Windows
    8 actually looks like it may be going backwards on the PC vs. Windows 7,
    as it's going to be removing the Aero interface.

    However, Microsoft has made one giant move towards embracing ARM by
    making its own ARM-based tablet:

    Microsoft's Surface Tablets Raise the Bar for PC Pals - Businessweek
    http://www.businessweek.com/article...s-surface-tablets-raise-the-bar-for-pc-rivals

    There's supposed to be a bigger tablet which will likely be x86
    announced in a couple of months though. It may either be AMD or Intel,
    no word yet.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 19, 2012
  8. Nomen Nescio

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Monday, June 11, 2012 1:23:58 AM UTC-4, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > On 10/06/2012 7:01 AM, Intel Guy wrote:
    >
    > > But - the post didn't seem particularly troll-ish.

    > > How much of Intel's business is in some way tied to a Microsoft OS?

    Hardly. About 50% of Intel's profits were coming from notebook chips the last time I looked, which was a while ago. It's fairly safe to assume that most of those notebooks, which may itself be a threatened species, run Windows. That's a scary number, but it's not 99%, and there are an awful lot of server, enterprise, and technical computers running x86 from Intel using some OS other than Windows.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Sep 28, 2012
  9. Nomen Nescio

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 28/09/2012 6:10 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
    > On Monday, June 11, 2012 1:23:58 AM UTC-4, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    >> On 10/06/2012 7:01 AM, Intel Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>> But - the post didn't seem particularly troll-ish.

    >>> How much of Intel's business is in some way tied to a Microsoft
    >>> OS?

    > Hardly. About 50% of Intel's profits were coming from notebook chips
    > the last time I looked, which was a while ago. It's fairly safe to
    > assume that most of those notebooks, which may itself be a threatened
    > species, run Windows. That's a scary number, but it's not 99%, and
    > there are an awful lot of server, enterprise, and technical computers
    > running x86 from Intel using some OS other than Windows.

    More than half of the Intel-based servers are also running Windows,
    followed by Linux. Besides the entire server market by volume wouldn't
    even amount to 1% of their overall consumer business. They're talking
    hundreds of thousands of servers per year, vs. hundreds of millions of
    consumer PCs.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 30, 2012
  10. Nomen Nescio

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Sunday, September 30, 2012 1:11:12 PM UTC-4, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > On 28/09/2012 6:10 PM, Robert Myers wrote:

    > > Hardly. About 50% of Intel's profits were coming from notebook chips

    > > the last time I looked, which was a while ago. It's fairly safe to

    > > assume that most of those notebooks, which may itself be a threatened

    > > species, run Windows. That's a scary number, but it's not 99%, and

    > > there are an awful lot of server, enterprise, and technical computers

    > > running x86 from Intel using some OS other than Windows.

    > More than half of the Intel-based servers are also running Windows,
    >
    > followed by Linux. Besides the entire server market by volume wouldn't
    >
    > even amount to 1% of their overall consumer business. They're talking
    >
    > hundreds of thousands of servers per year, vs. hundreds of millions of
    >
    > consumer PCs.

    If you will take the time to read my post carefully, you will notice that Italked about Intel *profits*. Server chips are much more profitable (for the moment, at least) than consumer chips. If the consumer business goes away, that will leave Intel with an awful lot of amazing foundry capacity tofind a use for, which is probably why Intel has made (limited) efforts to sell foundry services.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Oct 1, 2012
  11. Nomen Nescio

    Intel Guy Guest

    Why is quoted material being double-spaced from google? (was: willMIcrosoft's sinking drag down Intel ??)

    Robert Myers (a google-groper) wrote:

    A A A Hardly. About 50% of Intel's profits were coming from notebook
    A A
    A A A the last time I looked, which was a while ago. It's fairly safe
    A A
    A A A assume that most of those notebooks, which may itself be a
    A A
    A A A species, run Windows. That's a scary number, but it's not 99%,
    A A
    A A A there are an awful lot of server, enterprise, and technical
    A A
    A A A running x86 from Intel using some OS other than Windows.

    In case Robert doesn't see it (and other google-gropers who have "show
    quoted text" turned off), the above is what their posts now look like
    for others who experience usenet using a REAL usenet client.

    I have replaced the usual quoting character > with the letter A so that
    Robert can see an example of what his posts look like.

    Fools that experience usenet through google-gropes and who regularly
    post large amounts of quoted material are now double-spacing the quoted
    material - whether they realize it or not.

    This is par for the course for Google, who has incrementally been
    breaking their usenet access for the past 5 years now.

    This latest change (double-spacing quoted material) seems to have
    started within the past few weeks.

    Thost that are brain-dead enough to experience usenet through google
    probably are not seeing this.

    Intel Guy, Oct 3, 2012
  12. Nomen Nescio

    Robert Myers Guest

    Re: Why is quoted material being double-spaced from google? (was:will MIcrosoft's sinking drag down Intel ??)

    On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:24:35 AM UTC-4, Intel Guy wrote:
    > Robert Myers (a google-groper) wrote:
    >

    > Thost that are brain-dead enough to experience usenet through google
    > probably are not seeing this.

    Well, "Intel guy," I'm glad that your manifest qualities do not reflect on a company I admire. The double spacing did show up in this dialog box, and I deleted it, since it bothers you so much.

    I have a Usenet subscription that I am paying for but I am not using it.

    a. I'm extremely busy and have rarely read or posted in the last year or so.
    b. While I am not brain dead, I am getting older, and the plethora of passwords and the constant hassle of remembering and resetting them just isn't worth it for any service that I rarely use but that requires a password.
    c. There is a newsreader/mail client problem for which, so far as I can tell, there is no currently available solution that is even remotely adapted to my diverse collection of computers and operating systems--other than Google.

    If your hostility, aggression, and rudeness show up in other contexts, they are probably holding back your career. Seek help.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Oct 3, 2012
  13. Nomen Nescio

    Intel Guy Guest

    Robert Myers wrote:

    > > Thost that are brain-dead enough to experience usenet through
    > > google probably are not seeing this.

    > I have a Usenet subscription that I am paying for but I am not
    > using it.

    Another dumb thing - paying for access to text usenet groups.

    > a. I'm extremely busy and have rarely read or posted in the last
    > year or so.

    irrelevant.

    > b. While I am not brain dead, I am getting older, and the
    > plethora of passwords and the constant hassle of remembering
    > and resetting them just isn't worth it

    There are free usenet servers. Have been for many years.

    > c. There is a newsreader/mail client problem for which, so
    > far as I can tell, there is no currently available solution
    > that is even remotely adapted to my diverse collection of
    > computers and operating systems--other than Google.

    Again, too bad you know so little about usenet.

    Point your usenet client to this server:

    nntp.aioe.org

    and subscribe to any number of thousands of available newsgroups.

    No authentication required. No username or password. You can read and
    post as you like. You can change your posting identity at will.

    > If your hostility, aggression, and rudeness show up in other
    > contexts, they are probably holding back your career.
    > Seek help.

    Get a grip Robert. I'm only trying to help - and to improve on the
    dammage that google-groups does by encouraging people to make ugly posts
    by defaulting to full-quoting and (now) double-spacing.

    Intel Guy, Oct 4, 2012
  14. Nomen Nescio

    Trent Guest

    Re: Why is quoted material being double-spaced from google? (was:will MIcrosoft's sinking drag down Intel ??)

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 09:00:43 -0400 Intel Guy <> wrote in
    Message id: <>:

    >Get a grip Robert. I'm only trying to help - and to improve on the
    >dammage that google-groups does by encouraging people to make ugly posts
    >by defaulting to full-quoting and (now) double-spacing.

    Don't forget non-existent line wrapping. What a mess the latest GG posting
    server is...

    Trent, Oct 4, 2012
  15. Nomen Nescio

    On Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:58:47 AM UTC-4, Intel Guy wrote:

    > Get a grip Robert. I'm only trying to help - and to improve on the
    > dammage that google-groups does by encouraging people to make ugly posts
    > by defaulting to full-quoting and (now) double-spacing.

    You'd make a great salesman. Get a spell checker and pay attention to it.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Oct 4, 2012
  16. Nomen Nescio

    On Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:07:35 AM UTC-4, Trent wrote:

    > Don't forget non-existent line wrapping. What a mess the latest GG posting
    > server is...

    If you have a problem with Google, write a letter to Google. Leave me alone. I've dealt with bullies in plenty of other contexts, and I can certainly deal with them here.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Oct 4, 2012