    automatically create mpeg4's containing H.264 video for every dvd I put
    on my ipod? Thanks in advance! I don't have a MAC, so I can't
    download Handbrake. :(

    superkrups20056, Jan 3, 2006

  2. superkrups20056

    ZnU Guest

    I haven't tried it, but you can theoretically do this with QuickTime
    Pro, if you also buy the ($20) MPEG-2 playback component. However, it
    would be really awkward, and would probably involve manually piecing
    together video and audio spread across multiple files, as QuickTime is
    not really designed to work conveniently with the sort of MPEG-2 program
    streams you'll find on a DVD. Actually, it's possible you won't be able
    to recover audio at all this way.

    You're much better off using a specialized program for this.

    ZnU, Jan 3, 2006

  3. OK, so I checked out all the software that does this, but I have a
    possibility that needs answered! Is there any program software that
    makes H.264 MPEGs from the DVD files?

    superkrups20056, Jan 3, 2006
  4. OK forget that, one more question. If I give Quicktime Pro 7 a MPEG-4
    File, will it automatically put it on my ipod with the H.264 technology?

    superkrups20056, Jan 3, 2006
  5. But does that mean that Quicktime will compress MPEG 4 already on my
    desktop with H.264 technology for my Ipod? Or does that mean that it
    will put it on there as a regular old MPEG. And do you HAVE to have
    Quicktime Pro to get videos on your ipod? Can't you just drag MPEG4's
    strraight into itunes?

    superkrups20056, Jan 4, 2006
  6. QuickTime Pro can transcode from any video format it can read to
    H.264. If you export to iPod format, it makes an MP4 with H.264 video
    and AAC audio.

    If you're trying to get DVDs in this format, you're theoretically best
    off not transcoding twice (once with DVD Shrink and once with
    Quicktime Pro), but for iPod use it probably doesn't matter.

    Matthew Russotto, Jan 4, 2006
  7. superkrups20056

    webmaster Guest

    webmaster, Jan 4, 2006