    just take the "C:" drive out of the 330 and put it in the 670 and have
    it work or must I go out and buy a new full version OS (No update).
    TIA

    E. E. Herbert, Jul 9, 2007

  2. E. E. Herbert

    Tom Scales Guest

    Assuming that you're talking a Windows operating system, the answer is
    NO you cannot do that, for two reasons.

    1) When XP is installed, it is tailored for the specific hardware. It
    is possible to do this, but only from one identical machine to another.
    2) It is a violation of the license agreement. That copy of the OS
    'belongs' to the 330 and cannot be transferred to the 670.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 9, 2007

  3. E. E. Herbert

    paulmd Guest

    Transferring a hard drive with an OS from dissimilar hardware is at
    best a hit and miss deal. White it's not correct to say this just
    doesn't work, it invites driver trouble.

    With XP, there are also activation issues. Probably with Vista and
    2k3, too.

    paulmd, Jul 9, 2007
  4. E. E. Herbert

    Ben Myers Guest

    You are likely to get a quick BSOD for your efforts. The Precision 330 and the
    Optiplex 670 use entirely different chipsets, and Windows sets itself up to load
    chipset-specific drivers early on. If the driver does not interact properly
    with the presumed chipset, it's BSOD time... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 9, 2007