Will StorEdge 3510 disks (FC) fit in Blade 2000 (FC-AL) ??

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Dave, Oct 12, 2007.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I have bought a blade 2000 (should arrive today!!) but would like to
    upgrade the disks (2x73 GB).

    I've seen some Hitachi HUS151414VLF200 fibre channel disks which are
    147GB, 15k RPM - they are NOT badged as Sun.

    This Hitach page

    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/15k147/15k147.htm

    says the disk's connector is "2GFC"

    This Hitachi page
    http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/tech...9086256D27005D87E5/$file/15K147_FC-AL_com.pdf

    says they work in the Sun StorEdge 3510 disk array.

    The Sunsolve page on the StorEdge 3510:

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Systems/3510/spec

    says the disks are FC. I can't however work out if the StorEdge 3510's
    FC disks are the same as the FC-AL used in the Blade 2000

    Anyone got any information?

    If the connectors are right, I'll take a chance on the firmware etc. But
    clearly if the connectors are not the same as in the Blade 2000, I might
    as well not bother.

    Dave, Oct 12, 2007

  2. Dave

    Trinean Guest

    There's no reason a disk from a StorEdge 3510 won't work in a Sun Blade
    2000.
    You'll need the correct type of bracket to plug it into the Sun Blade 2000.

    Trinean

    Trinean, Oct 12, 2007

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thank you. I have the brackets, since the blade has a pair of 73 GB
    disks - I can easily remove one. In fact, I probably have one lying
    around anyway, if the same brackets that fit the Blade 2000 fit the
    Ultra 80. The blade 2000 seems very similar inside to the U80.

    Dave, Oct 12, 2007
  4. Dave

    Tim Bradshaw Guest

    2GFC will just mean FC running at 2Gbit. I'm reasonably sure that
    this will work - 2G will fall back to 1G if need be, but anything
    recent should be 2 anyway I think.

    --tim

    Tim Bradshaw, Oct 15, 2007
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I have now ordered a pair of them, so I shall find out for sure soon
    enough.

    Dave, Oct 16, 2007