    inside to attach to the h/d. Will a h/d that uses a 40-conductor cable work
    in this as an external, USB-2 harddrive? I'm running Windows XP-Corp /all
    updates, all on an Asus, A7N8X rev-2, n-force 2 mobo. TIA, s

    sdlomi2, Jun 28, 2004

  2. sdlomi2

    Canus_Lupis Guest

    Let`s not forget that the USB plug only has 4 wires in it.
    When I use my very portable USB laptop external hard drive, I do not have to
    supply power to the drive as the USB port provides this. This means that we
    are left with 2 wires to carry the data.
    I use 3 external USB cases for various jobs. 1 x cd burner, 1 x dvd burner
    and 1 x large hard drive and a nice sized USB memory stick tops it all off
    nicely.
    Your external drive needs to be jumpered as master. Put it all together
    and enjoy it. It will work just fine.

    Canus_Lupis, Jun 29, 2004

  3. sdlomi2

    sdlomi2 Guest

    be powered with the ac power cord. Telling me about master jumper really
    helped. s

    sdlomi2, Jun 29, 2004
  4. sdlomi2

    Paul Guest

    Do you means a 2x20 connector ? A 40 conductor cable will work, but for
    the higher transfer rates, an 80 wire, 40 pin connectorized cable is
    better, as every second wire is connected to ground, and isolates the
    signals from one another. The cable ends up with a better control over
    the cable impedance, and makes high speed transfer (like ATA100 or
    ATA133) possible.

    With tiny enclosures and laptop style drives, a 44 wire cable is used,
    and I think the difference is there are power wires in that cable.
    To complicate matters, the pin spacing may be different between the
    40 pin and 44 pin cables. That doesn't sound like your enclosure.

    Of course, from a practical perspective, USB is limited by protocol
    overhead, to a transfer rate that is less than the cable rate, and
    also, the conversion chip on the "generic adapter" makes all the
    difference to the actual data transfer rate you'll be seeing.
    There is a tendency for the older "dog slow" chips to be used
    in cheap enclosures, so this is a time where reading reviews
    of various enclosures before buying is a must. You might see
    33MB/sec, for example, near the start of the disk. Which makes
    the cable quality I mentioned in the first paragraph kind of
    academic. I don't know if there is a way to verify the transfer
    rate used on the parallel cable inside the enclosure or not -
    reading the spec sheet for the enclosure may be the only way
    to tell whether the interface is an aggressive one or not.

    If you were to have some trouble with the drive, you could
    always temporarily connect the drive to one of your computer's
    IDE interfaces, and then use one of those utilities from the
    drive manufacturer's web site, to change the maximum transfer
    rate on the disk, to something that causes less errors. This
    is only if you are experiencing corrupt data or choppy benchmarking
    performance, implying retries are being used between the bridge
    chip and the disk.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 29, 2004