Will this memory work with P4C800 mobo?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Pluvious, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. Pluvious

    Pluvious Guest

    I'm thinking of getting this combo and was wondering if I matched the Ram
    correctly.. (Asus site shows that Crucial is okay.. but doesn't go into
    specifics) I'll be getting a 2.4c Intel chip and plan to o/c to at least 3.0.

    -=-=-=
    Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM
    Manufacturer: Corsair
    Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
    Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
    Error Checking: Non-ECC
    Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
    Cas Latency: 2-3-3-6 1T
    Support Voltage: 2.6V
    Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s

    $111 ea. (ouch)

    With a:

    ASUS 875P Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 Processors, Model "P4C800 DELUXE"
    Retail
    Supported CPU: Socket 478 Pentium 4(HT)/Celeron Processors
    Chipset: Intel 875P + ICH5
    FSB: 800/533/400MHz
    RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
    IDE: 2x UltraDMA100, 1x UltraDMA133(RAID 0/1/0+1)
    Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI
    Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xLAN,2xIEEE1394(Rear 1),Audio Ports
    Onboard Audio: AD1985 SoundMAX 6-Channel CODEC
    Onboard LAN: 3COM 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet
    Onboard SATA/RAID: 4x Serial ATA
    Onboard 1394: VIA 1394 Controller

    $171.99

    Sounds good right?..

    tia

    Pluvious

    Pluvious, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Pluvious

    Bubba Guest

    Ive got this and it works like a champ in my P4C800DLX

    DDRAM 512MB 32MX8 PC-3200C2 COR

    Bubba, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Pluvious

    yogi Guest

    This is the DDR ram that the shop installed in mine when the ram I had
    failed, It is 2x512mb matched sticks.
    CORSAIR TwinX1024 XMS3200 (CMX512-3200C2)
    Cheers
    Keith Holzapfel

    Product Version: 6.0.550 Release Date: 02/09/2003
    Virus Database: 342 Release Date: 09/12/2003

    yogi, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Pluvious

    Pluvious Guest

    Hmm... Now I'm confused. Two different recommendations that don't match what I
    thought would work. Damn its hard to find the 'right' ram with Intel. I know I
    want Corsair XMS type.. but just don't know which timings and latency. I want
    DDR400 and like I said.. I think I'll be o/c'ing the 2.4c proc to at least 3.0+
    if I can. (this effects the ram too I gather and want to make sure the ram I buy
    'matches' my plan). I'm obviously a newbie here.. so any detail would be great.
    I thought $111 ea. is expensive but I see that there are lots of other choices
    that are even more expensive. The ram is the most costly part of my upgrade and
    I don't want to mess this up.

    Thanks everyone!

    Pluvious

    Pluvious, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Pluvious

    No6 Guest

    512 MB for $111 is expensive? 10 years ago I thought $40 per MB was
    cheap! Sorry, but I think it's interesting that our sense of cost is so
    relative.

    Actually, since I'm planning on replacing my aged CUSL2 (great board) I'm
    following this thread with interest.

    Thanks for putting up with my history lesson.

    -6

    No6, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Pluvious

    Pluvious Guest

    You know, you have a point. It _IS_ 512MB we're talking about here. I've never
    had more then that.. and I expect the 1GB ram to really be "smokin". :) To top
    that off.. I'm still running the old PC133 ram!

    I still don't have a clue which to get though... I'll probably just get that
    Corsair above if I don't see any posts warning me that it won't play nice with
    the P4C800 mobo. (not going the -E model)

    Pluvious

    Pluvious, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Why? If anything with onboard Intel Gigabit Lan, the -E is the BETTER of the
    two.
    Dont rip yourself off.

    Philip Callan, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Pluvious

    Pluvious Guest

    Oh?.. I was under the impression I didn't need the -E version.. not sure what
    the difference is. (I'll have to read up some more I guess.. sigh) I don't plan
    on using RAID at all... and I don't LAN the machine at all. I have a ATI 9700
    PRO and a Audigy gamer card I'm going to transplant. (along with a new
    hard-drive).

    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Pluvious

    Pluvious, Dec 20, 2003
  9. I dont run raid either, i bought the board for stability, versatile
    overclocking *ability* (I dont currently OC anything on this box, im quite
    happy at spec for now) and firewire for my camera.

    Case: Antec Sonata with TruePower380w PSU (black)
    MB: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
    CPU: P4C 3.0Ghz
    RAM: 2x512 PC3200 Kingston
    VIDEO: Radeon 9700 Pro AIW
    SOUND: Soundblaster Audigy 1
    PRI IDE (master): LG 4040 DVD +/- R/RW/RAM Burner
    SEC IDE (master): ASUS CRW5224 CD-R/RW Burner
    TRI IDE (sata): Seagate ST3120026AS 120G HD

    And if i ever decide to run raid again, i can grab two nice big ATA133 HD's
    and pair em up on primary ide, and move my burners down to the secondary
    channel, as i dont do a lot of on the fly copying. Been using this board for
    about 2.5 months about 14-16hrs/day and REALLY happy with its performance.

    Philip Callan, Dec 20, 2003