will this ram work with this mobo/cpu? psu question

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Joel, Oct 4, 2007.

  1. Joel

    Joel Guest

    The ram specs on the mobo I am fixing to buy just says "DDR2" so I really
    don't know what one I should buy. Here is my list of what I am fixing to
    buy.

    RAM (guess it takes ddr2 pc2-5300--i dont know for sure) $68

    http://computers.pricegrabber.com/laptop-memory/m/8442613/search=DDR2

    CPU $194

    http://computers.pricegrabber.com/processors-retail-box/intel/m/43369636/search=Core 2 Duo

    MOBO $100

    http://computers.pricegrabber.com/motherboards/m/24358005/

    Also, will this psu support at least 3 ide devices? All I see about it is
    sata, which I surely need.

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006757

    Joel, Oct 4, 2007

  2. Joel

    GT Guest

    Follow the manufacturer details link on the mobo link you posted and:

    4 x DIMM, max. 16GB, DDR2 667 / 533, non-ECC, un-buffered memory
    Dual channel memory architecture.

    I would suggest you go for some 667 speed stuff instead of the 533 you have
    chosen, but the RAM you have listed is OK for that board. You have 4 slots
    available, so filling 2 of them as you have planned is OK, but your maximum
    RAM configuration without throwing any away would be 10GB. How long are you
    planning to run this PC? Highly unlikely that this limit would be a problem!

    GT, Oct 4, 2007

  3. Joel

    Paul Guest

    For Asus motherboards, you can actually download the manual and have a look.
    Check the section on memory, and see if there are any hints. Some of the
    manuals are better than others, at answering pre-sales questions.

    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    When you go to an individual product page, there can be a "QVL" or qualified
    vendor list of memories. The first link here, is a list of all the motherboards,
    while the second link is for P5NSLI. Clicking the QVL link on the second
    page, shows qualified RAM at DDR2-533 and DDR2-667. The 667 ==> PC2-5300.

    http://www.asus.com/products2.aspx?l1=3&l2=-1
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=331&l4=0&model=1311&modelmenu=1

    Your CPU is FSB1333. Your motherboard goes up to FSB1066. So in fact, your
    choice of CPU and motherboard don't mesh properly. Find another motherboard
    or find another CPU.

    The CPU Support page is here. You can actually view results by a specific
    processor, such as your E6750, and see what motherboards support it.

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    The page for P5N-SLI is here. If you could find an older E6700, that
    would work, but it might be more expensive. If you still want the E6750,
    then look for another board.

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpu_support_right_master.aspx?type=1&name=P5NSLI&SLanguage=en-us

    These are the power supply specs for CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W
    That supply will not only run your three IDE drives, it will also
    start your car in the morning :) I much prefer to get this info off a label
    on the side of the supply, but so far I don't see that kind of label on
    this unit.

    +3.3V@30A,+5V@28A,+12V@41A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@3A
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/VX550W/Dscn3257.jpg

    There is enough 12V current there, for an 8800GTX if you want. The
    supply has a 2x3 PCI Express power and a 2x4 (splittable) PCI Express power,
    so in fact the supply even has the connectors to connect to an 8800GTX.

    A review for the power supply is here. It is built by ChannelWell (CWT), and
    they make supplies for Antec as well. That means, when you get it, it'll
    smell a bit (chemical smell).

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=135

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 4, 2007
  4. Joel

    Joel Guest

    Thanks alot guys. But what's it gonna hurt running a fsb slower than the
    cpu? How's it gonna hurt the cpu? The cpu just slows down without any
    damage-inducing results, right?

    Joel, Oct 5, 2007
  5. Joel

    Paul Guest

    Correct.

    For an E6750 2.66GHz/FSB1333/4MB L2 dual core, the math would be:

    2.66 * (1066/1333) = 2.13GHz.

    It means the processor would only run at 0.8 of normal speed.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 5, 2007
  6. Joel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Paul" typed:
    In which case it makes sense to save money and buy a CPU that runs at a
    similar speed and is designed for a 1066 FSB.

    ~misfit~, Oct 5, 2007
  7. Joel

    Joel Guest

    Shaun, would you believe me if I told you that the cpu 1333 on that
    zipzoomfly website was the same price as the cpu 1066? No lie.........well,
    it was $3 different in price...but whose counting $3? Not me.........Also,
    I want to get all my parts from the same site so they come at the same
    time..and zipzoomfly has free shipping :)

    Joel, Oct 6, 2007
  8. Joel

    bandit Guest

    well if you want a little better motherboard that will support you're
    CPU better have a look at this one its only about $28.00 more

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=247123

    bandit, Oct 6, 2007