Will this system fly???

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Noozer, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    Building a rather expensive system based on a Tyan mainboard and want to
    know if there are any issues I should expect...

    Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885
    CPUs - (2) Opteron 242 retail
    Memory - (4) 256meg DDR400 OCZ Registered ECC
    Video - ATI Radeon 9800 All-in-Wonder PRO 128meg 8xAGP TVOut DVI
    RAID card - Highpoint 1820A PCI-X 64bit 8port SATA RAID card
    HDD - (1) 34gig WD Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA drive (for OS)
    HDD - (9) 250gig Maxtor 7Y250M0 Sata drives (RAID 5 for data)
    DVDRW - BenQ DW822A DVDRW
    Floppy - 3.5" floppy
    Case - Lian-Li V2000
    PSU - Antec 550watt 24pin EATX power supply
    Fans - 2x80mm 2x120mm

    ....any issues the the above configuration?

    ....also, does this mainboard REQUIRE Registered ECC memory? I've had
    conflicting information about this.

    Noozer, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Hi,
    Sounds nice. We have the S2885 here with two Opteron 246, 8*1GB RAM, and
    only 2 HDDs. The only issue was that a part of the memory space between
    3GB and 4GB was hidden at first but I somehow managed to fix this. But
    since you only have 2GB RAM you won't have that problem.
    That doesn't depend on the mainboard but on the CPUs because the Opteron
    has an integrated memory controller. All socket 940 CPUs need registered
    memory (PC-2700 AFAIR). They probably won't *need* ECC but most often
    registered and ECC go together. Besides apart from a slight performance
    decrease ECC is a good thing.

    André

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Noozer

    squared root Guest

    Nice specs.

    Since you're not using an AGP Pro card, the Antec PS should be fine.
    The Antec PS does not have the 2x3 (6-pin) AGP Pro power connector
    though, so keep that in mind if you plan on using AGP Pro later.

    ,)`Q

    squared root, Aug 7, 2004
  4. I haven't been following this thread but I was curious about the ambiguity
    inherent in the title, "Will this system fly?"

    One meaning is 'Will it work at all?', as in the expression 'That ain't
    gonna fly'.

    The other meaning is 'Will it work especially speedily?', as in the
    expression 'Wow, that baby can fly!'.

    Which meaning of 'fly' was originally intended?

    Larry Scholnick, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    Yes ... : )

    Just looking for opinions as to whether or not I made any mistakes planning
    the system.

    The only two questions I have is, will the PSU be enough (Now a Sparkle
    550watt EPS supply) and is 4x 256meg a good move for the dual opterons or
    would 2x 512meg be just as good?

    Noozer, Aug 18, 2004
  6. Noozer

    Lissy+Peter Guest

    system seemed fine but whats about an raid cache scsi controller , theres
    more power in data transfer

    Noozer schrieb in Nachricht ...

    Lissy+Peter, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Hi,
    Usually I'd say yes but I just don't have any experience with so many hdds.
    4x 256meg is definitively a good thing. Since each Opteron has its own
    dual channel ram controller you only get good performance when each CPU
    has two own identical memory modules.
    With the Thunder K8W you can still upgrade RAM later, or you can replace
    the RAM modules.

    André

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=, Aug 18, 2004
  8. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    The only two questions I have is, will the PSU be enough (Now a Sparkle
    hdds.

    The RAID controller has delayed spinup, so I shouldn't have a problem.
    Good to hear! I thought that keeping two sticks per CPU would be the way to
    do it, but didn't see anything definate.

    Thanks!

    Noozer, Aug 18, 2004
  9. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    How much would 2 Terabytes of SCSI drive cost???

    Noozer, Aug 18, 2004
  10. Noozer

    Lissy+Peter Guest

    it expensiver than sata but better performance, price depends on where you
    are and how good are your conections to a distributer, but if you really
    want a high speed system you should use ultra 160 or something like this
    scsi disks and a good controller , for example dpt or something like this
    quality

    Noozer schrieb in Nachricht ...

    Lissy+Peter, Aug 18, 2004