    that the new CPU could run a bus at 266Mhz. Will the higher clock
    speed be the only improvement? The 2500+ runs at 1.8Ghz.

    tia

    Hulot, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Hulot

    Wes Newell Guest

    See other references about the 2500+ and the KT7A board in this NG. The 2
    differences, besides clock speed, is that the 2500+ Barton has twice the
    L2 cache and supports SSE instructions. If you want the max performance
    out of it in the kt7a, you will need to change the default multiplier to
    13. You can then get up to about 2400MHz out of it. Ity will default to
    2.0GHz after mod.

    Wes Newell, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Hulot

    DougO Guest

    According to the manual, the kt7a does support the 266 bus speed. It will
    care *very much.* I'm sure :)

    DougO, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Hulot

    Hulot Guest

    Thanks for the advice Wes and DOH! to Doug--I will read more carefully
    in the futuer.

    So I will definitely be getting a 2500. It's amazing how much info
    there is--from Wes on the ng alone there is more than enough. I'm
    amazed that there is a VIDEO on how to close the bridges!

    Anyway, thanks very much.

    Hulot

    Hulot, Oct 5, 2003
  5. Hulot

    DougO Guest

    I just did the "operation" today, and lo - it was a success! It feels like
    it was pure luck cutting those traces though - even with a good magnifying
    glass, all I could do was pray I wasn't cutting too deep or something... Do
    people use a microscope on these operations? Evidently all it needs to cut a
    trace is a good scratch with an exacto blade...

    Anyway, I'm now running my 2500 barton at 9X133, for a speed of 2266mhz.
    10X133 would not even try to boot. I didn't try 9.5. I'm very pleased with
    this sweet $100 "new computer." Thanks Wes and all!

    BTW, I upped the voltage to 1.66, just for the fun of it. It's idling now at
    44degreesC. Am I correct in assuming that the same rules apply as with my
    old tbird chip - that 55C is about the maximum temperature for this chip? If
    so I guess I have plenty of leeway, and I assumed a little extra voltage
    would be appropriate for the overclocking...

    Thanks,
    Doug

    DougO, Oct 5, 2003
  6. Hulot

    Hulot Guest

    Doug

    Congrats!

    I'm nervously awaiting the arrival of my Barton, and all I can do is
    alternately pace back and forth and boil lots of water.

    Did you do the pin mod as well, or was cutting the L3 bridges enough
    to run at 133?

    Did you try raising the FSB at all?

    I'm not much help on the temps. The official maximum "die
    temperature" is 85, but I'm sure you knew that.

    Hulot

    Hulot, Oct 10, 2003