Win 8 BIG dissapointment for MS

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Steve W., Nov 18, 2012.

  1. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    CEO Steve Ballmer has already said that Microsoft sold 4 million Windows
    8 upgrades in the first weekend after its debut, but it seems like sales
    of the new OS aren’t going exactly as expected.

    Citing an insider, Paul Thurrott of Winsupersite.com writes that Windows
    8 is already considered a disappointing product in the Redmond campus
    when it comes to sales.

    Microsoft is yet to release any official sales figures, but executives
    have already released optimistic sales projections, hinting that the
    company expects to ship millions of copies before year-end.

    What’s more interesting, however, is that Microsoft blames PC makers for
    Windows 8’s disappointing sales performance, claiming that end users
    don’t have enough choices to buy Windows 8 devices.

    The number of computers, laptops and tablets running Windows 8 is still
    small at this point, but several companies have already confirmed their
    plans to release such products in the near future.

    This is actually another reason for Microsoft’s intentions to continue
    efforts in the hardware industry. By developing its own PC and devices,
    Microsoft would only have to rely on its own products when launching new
    software, but would also hurt sales of many other players in the
    hardware sector.

    In addition, these disappointing yet unknown sales figures also bring
    Steven Sinofsky back in the spotlight. It’s not yet clear whether
    Sinofsky has left the company because of the slow Windows 8 sales, but
    more and more signs are suggesting that this was actually one of the
    reasons for the upper management shift within Microsoft.

    Of course, critics could mention many reasons for Windows 8’s failure to
    impress, including the major changes in the GUI and the other
    often-considered “confusing” elements, but it remains to be seen what
    the impact of all these changes is over the average end user.

    Microsoft is yet to comment on the matter, but we’ve contacted the
    Redmondians, so we’ll get back to you when we receive an answer.

    Steve W., Nov 18, 2012

  2. Steve W.

    Justin Guest

    Good.
    Hopefully this will cause more people to switch to mac.

    Justin, Nov 18, 2012

  3. Steve W.

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I'm sticking with XP, with a 2005 version
    of Cygwin. It makes me immune from idiot graduate
    students fussing with compilers.

    Note the header on this post, by the way.
    Netscape 2.02 news reader.

    Don't change what isn't broken.

    Ron Hardin, Nov 19, 2012
  4. Steve W.

    Justin Guest

    and I should still be driving the 1988 Acura I had in college.

    Justin, Nov 19, 2012
  5. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    Probably better built and easier to work on than 99% of modern vehicles.
    I kick myself at least once a week for selling off the 1974 Nova SS I had.

    Had a straight 6, points ignition and averaged around 18mpg.

    Steve W., Nov 19, 2012
  6. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    T-bird 2.0 for me.
    Tried some of the newer versions but have yet to find a reason why I
    "need" the tabbed E-mails or most of the rest of the "features"

    I got my first taste of Win 8 yesterday. Still trying to erase it from
    my memory. What a POS....
    Told the owner that if the machine was mine I'd take it back, then buy a
    good used machine running XP or Win 7

    Steve W., Nov 19, 2012
  7. Steve W.

    clare Guest

    A 6 cyl SS was a rare bird.

    clare, Nov 19, 2012
  8. Steve W.

    clare Guest

    I'd downgrade the new machins to Win7, like I downgraded quite a few
    machines to XP in the past.

    clare, Nov 19, 2012
  9. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    It was a factory SS, but the original owner didn't "like all the power"
    and actually had a dealer swap the engine...
    Only good thing was that the original engine came with the car, but it
    had been sitting around for a while, the 6 was a good runner so it
    stayed till I found some money.... Problem ended up that the money came
    from selling it !!!

    Steve W., Nov 19, 2012
  10. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    It is a PIA to even configure it. None of the functionality of earlier
    versions. You have to search for just about everything.
    Then there are the things that are gone -
    No address book, Calculator, Notepad. No games that will play without
    being online! MS games are gone as well.
    All of the apps are unstable, Even MS ones crash 75% of the time.
    How about NO native DVD support!
    This is after about 45 minutes just looking for stuff that the normal
    old person wants.
    The new version of IE REALLY stinks.

    Steve W., Nov 19, 2012
  11. Steve W.

    dg1261 Guest

    That claim is just plain rubbish. (Not arguing with Steve--I think he was
    quoting Paul Thurrott above.) Have folks checked their local outlets like
    Fry's, Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, et al? It's almost impossible to
    find a Win7 computer for sale anywhere. Try to find a Win7 computer online
    at Dell's home consumer website and you'll discover everything has been
    switched to Win8. You have to go to Dell's SOHO site to find something
    with Win7.

    dg1261, Nov 20, 2012
  12. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    That has been the same across most OSes. New machines on the shelf sell
    with the newest available. While you may walk in those stores and see a
    lot of new machines for sale
    that have Win8 on them, if you were to look at the total installed and
    in use outside the retail setting the number is VERY small.

    Look at the business world and you won't find any Win 8 unless they are
    development rigs. The majority of machines out there are running either
    XP or Win7 That is why MS keeps pushing the end of support on XP back.

    Steve W., Nov 20, 2012
  13. Steve W.

    Justin Guest

    Not really. Had alot of rust. 1980's Hondas were known for it.
    I have a 2001 Acura TL, there's no rust.
    I'll probably trade it in for either a '12 RL or E350 4matic. haven't
    decided.

    Justin, Nov 20, 2012
  14. Steve W.

    dg1261 Guest

    Yes, no disagreement there. What I take issue with is Thurrott's excuse
    (or is he just channeling Microsoft's excuse?) that PC makers are to blame
    for the slow adoption rate. Seems to me they've made a good faith effort
    to push Win8 onto the market, but it's not their fault buyers and
    businesses aren't biting. The PC manufacturers aren't the problem.

    dg1261, Nov 20, 2012
  15. Steve W.

    Larry Guest

    Here is John C. Dvorak's opinion on Windows 8 and how MS got to this
    point by promoting decision making in a closed loop.

    A Rosier Year Ahead for Windows 8? Yeah, Right

    Larry, Nov 20, 2012
  16. Steve W.

    Larry Guest

    "It's the Edsel of operating systems. Even those who wrote glowing
    reviews about the systems seemed somewhat insincere and unsure of
    themselves."

    Larry, Nov 20, 2012
  17. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    I agree with him completely. Win8 would be OK on a tablet where you
    don't really need to do work.
    On a machine that you work with it is a nightmare. Gamers who play
    anything other than XBox stuff will discover this on their own as well.

    So will folks who want to use it for real work. Here is an example - How
    do you rename a desktop icon?

    In xp - right click, select rename - enter name - hit enter or click and
    you're done.

    Win 8 - select the icon, select properties, select re-name, enter name,
    hit enter. Prompt comes up telling you that you need an admin account to
    change the name ! Click the OK button and it changes the name !! Try
    installing ANY software. Even updates to installed stuff requires admin
    approval !!

    Steve W., Nov 20, 2012
  18. Steve W.

    Kirk Bubul Guest

    snip
    I'm currently running Windows 7 HP SP1. I normally use a standard
    user account. I have lots of programs that demand an administrator
    password to run or update. My favorite file search program is
    Everything Search. It just decided one day that it requires an
    administrator password before cranking up for the first time in a day
    (I turn my computer off at night).

    Kirk Bubul, Nov 20, 2012
  19. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    That is the kicker in 8, even if your in the admin account it requires
    approval !

    BUT you can also access the admin account without a password !

    Then there is the stupid idea that everyone is online all the time.
    Want to use the calculator? Sign in, want to play Solitaire to kill time
    while you're stuck in the snow waiting for a tow, Hope you have a WiFi
    signal...

    The idea that a computer needs to work like a cell phone or tablet is
    STUPID. They ALL serve different markets.

    For instance I have been looking at getting a few tablets to stick in
    the FD vehicles.
    The idea being that we could have maps, pre-plans, resource lists,
    reporting forms,
    personnel listings, box alarm listings and more all on hand.

    With 8 the OS itself is the stumbling block.

    Steve W., Nov 20, 2012
  20. Steve W.

    clare Guest

    It's all headed to a new profit center for the software companies
    -nsoftware as a service.
    You will soon not be able to buy software and install it on your
    computer to use whenever and wherever you want.

    You want to run Microsoft Word to write a document? You log on and the
    core of the program is downloaded and installed. When you log off it
    dissapears - and if your "subscription" runs out, you cannot open the
    program - because you cannot download it.

    Nasty business model, as far as I'm concerned - but everyone figures
    it will eliminate software piracy......

    clare, Nov 21, 2012