    XP (my former favorite) so I see no need to change at this point.

    Last, good or bad, historically businesses are always slow to adapt to
    a new platform for many reasons.

    RnR, Nov 21, 2012

  2. Steve W.

    Von Fourche Guest

    I'm glad my new computer I bought last month from Dell came with Windows
    7. Don't think I want to upgrade to 8 either.

    Von Fourche, Nov 23, 2012

  3. Steve W.

    Boris Guest

    wrote in
    I'm trying to like it, and will stick with it for a while. Luckily,
    I've just got it on a new laptop, not the other machines around the
    house. I may end up upgrading this new laptop from Win8 to Win7.

    Boris, Nov 23, 2012
  4. Steve W.

    Boris Guest

    wrote in
    Exactly!

    Boris, Nov 23, 2012
  5. Steve W.

    RnR Guest

    I have to agree with you. And I haven't read any compelling reason
    for the need to upgrade neither.

    RnR, Nov 25, 2012
  6. Steve W.

    Von Fourche Guest

    "RnR" wrote in message

    I have to agree with you. And I haven't read any compelling reason
    for the need to upgrade neither.

    If there is no Notepad or calculator in Windows 8 then it sounds like
    Microsoft wants to turn the P.C. into an iPad device where you buy all the
    things you need by buying apps. I like my iPad but if I upgrade to Windows
    8 it better have notepad and a calculator.

    Von Fourche, Nov 26, 2012
  7. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    You have it correct. No address book, no calculator, no Notepad, no
    native DVD support either!

    Basically it is a tablet OS that MS thinks everyone wants....

    Steve W., Nov 26, 2012
  8. Steve W.

    Tom Lake Guest

    If there is no Notepad or calculator in Windows 8 then it sounds like
    Notepad and calculator *do* come with Win 8 (use search to find them), and
    there
    are at least four even better calculators available in the app store that
    are free, an address
    book (Contact Vault) is free in the app store as well.
    I am bothered by lack of native DVD support, although adding Media Center at
    $9.95
    isn't too much of a problem when the initial cost of Win 8 is so low right
    now.

    Please don't spread misinformation about Win 8. It's not perfect but it's
    getting
    better all the time.

    Tom L

    Tom Lake, Nov 26, 2012
  9. Steve W.

    Jim Higgins Guest

    The MS trend isn't toward iPad-like devices, despite their stupid
    "Surface" thing, whatever it is. It's toward not having apps on your
    computer/device and pulling them from "the cloud" as needed. They
    want "the cloud" to be an extension of your hard drive (or flash
    memory on tablet-type devices.)

    Jim Higgins, Nov 29, 2012
  10. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    The problem with that is simple. There are many places where you don't
    have access to ANY internet services. Then you also add in the security
    and safety aspects of having your data stored everywhere else.

    The man with the win 8 machine isn't online. He wanted a machine to play
    solitaire, to write a few stories and keep track of personal stuff.
    Needing to create an online account and constant net access to do
    anything is not good for him.

    Oh and I did find notepad, but it doesn't work like the old notepad. So
    I stuck notepad+ on there for him.
    The calculator app still works like others, I haven't been able to get
    it to work without a net connection.

    Steve W., Nov 29, 2012
  11. Steve W.

    Ben Myers Guest

    It needs to operate like a cell phone until you need to do some REAL WORK that requires administrative override and admin password. What a brilliant concept! Now if only Apple had done the same with the iPad. Think of it! Administrative password to make a phone call! Betcha the phone duopoly would not have liked the reduced number of cell phone minutes.

    Hmm! Maybe we now know why Steve Sinofsky was pushed out the door at Micro$oft. Stevie Ballmer one day tries to run Windows 8, gets the dialog box requesting his admin password, and goes ballistic as only he can. Sadly, his first real exposure to Windows 8 was after it was thrown over the transomonto an unsuspecting public. If only Ballmer had used Windows 8 sooner, he would have seen the problem. But no! They had to ship the dumb thing before Black Friday because all the OEMs had built millions of tablets, ultrabooks and other fad items. This would make a good screen play. Maybe I'vefound my calling as a screen writer. Could be worse. We've had lots of interesting movies somewhat fictionalized but inspired by real life. "Wag the Dog" and Altman's "Nashville" are two good ones that come to mind.

    Ballmer solved another important problem, too. With two Steves in the room, Ballmer and Sinofsky, meetings got confusing... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 1, 2012
  12. Steve W.

    BillW50 Guest

    I use Windows 8 without an Internet connect sometimes. Works just like
    Windows XP and Windows 7 without an Internet connection. What's the big
    deal?
    Notepad is the same to me as previous versions, same bugs too. Oh sorry,
    I guess Microsoft calls those bugs as features. ;-)

    BillW50, Dec 18, 2012
  13. Steve W.

    BillW50 Guest

    Hi Tom! I don't know if you know this, but the Media Center with DVD
    support is free until January 31st I think. You might need to use the
    special offer website though. If you need it, I'll try to find it for
    you. ;-)

    BillW50, Dec 18, 2012
  14. Steve W.

    BillW50 Guest

    Naw... that isn't so. True I am using this Windows 8 on a tablet right
    now. But it is docked and I am using it with a keyboard and a mouse. And
    my first machine I installed Windows 8 was one of my old Gateway M465
    manufactured in '06 and it runs great there too. That one is usually
    docked too with no touch screen.

    BillW50, Dec 18, 2012
  15. Steve W.

    BillW50 Guest

    I bought two Dell Latitude ST this month and they also came with Windows
    7. Although I am disappointed that Dell has no Windows 8 drivers and has
    no plans for any support for Windows 8 for them.

    Luckily it turns out that Dell had Motion Computing design and build
    these machines. And Motion Computing has their own machines at a much
    higher cost of course. And the Dell's version is designed after Motion
    Computing's own CL900 model. And Motion Computing does support Windows
    8. So guess where I got my Windows 8 drivers from? ;-)

    BillW50, Dec 18, 2012
  16. Steve W.

    BillW50 Guest

    Oh I think almost everybody hated Windows 8 at first. After all, you hit
    the Windows key and you got this strange Start Screen instead of the
    classic Start Menu. Worse, you can't even mouse over to the Start button
    because it just ain't there. Sure we have been using the Start Menu for
    17 years and now it is gone. It is a bit hard to get your head around
    not doing things that way anymore.

    At first anyway. I've been running Windows 8 CP since March I think and
    it just takes a bit to get used to do it the new way. And I catch myself
    on my Windows XP and Windows 7 machines nowadays trying to get to the
    Start Screen instead of the Start Menu. Or trying to access a Metro App. lol

    All of this time I have been running Windows 8 on a laptop in a dock.
    Just like your average desktop machine. Although I have to admit, I had
    zero interest in tablets at all. But Windows 8 has changed this and now
    I got interested just this month. As now I am thinking that maybe
    Windows is now fun on a tablet. And I must say, Windows 8 is indeed fun
    on a tablet and on a desktop. Although the classic Windows desktop isn't
    fun at all on a tablet. But no big deal, just buy a dock with a tablet
    and now you have both worlds. ;-)
    You bet! Microsoft was still selling businesses licenses for Windows for
    Workgroups 3.11 until 2008. ;-)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_3.1#Legacy

    BillW50, Dec 18, 2012
  17. Steve W.

    Ben Myers Guest

    Windows 8 may be fun. But does it help you get your work done better than Windows 7? Sure it does. Now you whistle while you work! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 19, 2012
  18. Steve W.

    RnR Guest

    Nothing I read says it does but I don't know. Maybe it does on
    tablets???? I guess I will just wait for the dust to settle another
    year or two and then see what others think.

    RnR, Jan 9, 2013
  19. Steve W.

    Ben Myers Guest

    Tablets do not run x86 or x64 Windows 8, so the large ecosystem of Windows apps does not work on a Windows 8 tablet until somebody does some porting, one app at a time... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 23, 2013