    scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
    pronto.

    Don

    bbcrock, Mar 9, 2005

  2. bbcrock

    First of One Guest

    Yes, get rid of Norton Antivirus and use something less intrusive, like
    AntiVir.

    First of One, Mar 9, 2005

  3. How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
    causes? I seen it so many times.....

    Lester Piglet, Mar 9, 2005
  4. bbcrock

    Andrew Guest

    I haven't touched any of their products since I used a "disk
    optimisation" program on a Windows 95 machine years ago. It optimised
    it by corrupting *every* .EXE and .COM file on the disk. The newsgroup
    messages I regularly see with problems related to their products don't
    make me want to try them again.

    Andrew, Mar 9, 2005
  5. bbcrock

    J. Clarke Guest

    Same way Microsoft does. He with the biggest ad budget wins.

    J. Clarke, Mar 9, 2005
  6. bbcrock

    The Chris Guest

    wrote in @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    I wouldn't get rid of Norton - any access denied error is a question of
    rights. Are you logged in as an Administrator, or a use with Administrator
    privlidges?? That should take care of that.

    The Chris, Mar 9, 2005
  7. bbcrock

    The Chris Guest

    I guess I'm lucky - I have zero problems with my Norton Products....

    The Chris, Mar 9, 2005
  8. I also have zero problems with my Norton products and continue to
    install and recommend Systemworks (Norton Utilities & Antivirus).

    I do, however, think that as a general rule Symantec tends to buy
    products, neglect them and "milk" them for cash flow. I really use and
    need WinFax, but it hasn't been updated in about 4 years (since before
    XP came out) and there are lot of problems with it in a modern XP system.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 9, 2005
  9. bbcrock

    The Chris Guest

    Whew - SystemWorks is one I wouldn't stand behind.... What a resource
    hog...However, it does solve some issues. I guess when I think of
    "Norton", I just think of 'Anti-Virus' and recently "Internet Security"

    I'll say this though - Norton Ghost was the ONLY program capable of truly
    cloning an XP drive and moving it onto a bigger drive.... Big props for
    that...

    The Chris, Mar 9, 2005
  10. bbcrock

    J. Clarke Guest

    Are you referring to Ghost 8 or to Drive Image 7, which is now called "Ghost
    9"?

    J. Clarke, Mar 9, 2005
  11. SystemWorks used to be a hog if you did the default installation. It
    worked well if you installed it so that it was present, but so that
    NOTHING except AV was actually runnning at start-up by default.
    However, about 2 years ago they "came to their senses" and changed it so
    that this is now nearly the default installation. If it's been a few
    years since you looked at it, it's a very different product now than it
    used to be, back in the days when things liken "Norton Crashguard"
    caused as many problems as they fixed. Even [especially] if you use the
    default installation.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 10, 2005
  12. bbcrock

    The Chris Guest

    Don't know - will have to check - thought it was called 'Ghost 2004'..

    The Chris, Mar 10, 2005
  13. bbcrock

    JK Guest

    It sounds like your video driver was infected by a virus and NAV has denied
    access to the file to prevent the virus from spreading. This would also
    prevent you from reinstalling the driver over the top of the old driver
    because you need access to all of the files to update the driver. Have you
    tried to reinstall the video driver in safe mode? Do you know what file you
    are being denied access to and have you tried to delete it in safe mode? In
    fact try uninstalling all of the ATI driver files in safe mode by running
    driver cleaner (I forget the name of this program but people on this
    newsgroup are familiar with it) and then install the latest drivers from ATI
    in safe mode. If you have a NAV boot CD, boot using that and run NAV. That
    will clean everything up very nicely.

    JK

    JK, Mar 10, 2005
  14. bbcrock

    bbcrock Guest

    thanks! that's a good constructive response.

    I uninstalled NAV because it was the trial version. I did have 2
    trojans- byteverify and adwaheck. I think your description of NAV
    locking the file makes the most sense. I can't locate the original XP
    disk that came with the laptop, but have the original drivers disk
    called "xp resource disk" by Dell and that didn't help the issue.

    I will try safe mode first.

    thanks,

    Don

    bbcrock, Mar 10, 2005
  15. bbcrock

    JK Guest

    Trend Micro also has an online antivirus check, and I think Symantec has one
    too. You can run that online and it does a very nice job of checking your
    machine. With NAV no longer installed, and it's directory deleted, you
    should now have access to the problem file and the online virus check should
    find it and delete it. Then you can install the latest ATI drivers.

    JK

    JK, Mar 12, 2005
  16. bbcrock

    bbcrock Guest

    no, it's definitely still locked and the first level Dell technicians
    are still stumped.

    bbcrock, Mar 17, 2005
  17. bbcrock

    Dennis G. Guest