Win XP - Gateway FPD2485W vs. DELL Optiplex GX270 no max resolution

Discussion in 'Dell' started by HiTech RedNeck, Aug 14, 2008.

  1. Dear Windows byteheads,

    I am having obstinate problems trying to get Win XP SP3 on a Dell Optiplex
    GX270 containing a Dell-provided Silicon Image 8x AGP card to put out the
    maximum screen resolution (1920 x 1200) to a 24" Gateway FPD2485W. Win XP
    identifies it as Plug and Play Monitor, but with a DVI-D cable the max
    selectable resolution is 1600 x 1200 (which displays in a distorted
    horizontally elongated manner) and with a VGA cable the max working
    selectable resolution is 1680 x 1050. (With VGA cable, I see 1920 x 1200
    available as well, but will only let me choose 75 Hz whereas my monitor
    wants 60 Hz and can't support 75 Hz. Selecting 1920 x 1200 makes the
    monitor blank out and pop up a warning about wrong frequency. If I check
    the "hide unsupported modes" box then I don't see 1920 x 1200 at all.)

    It is NOT a hardware limitation: I can boot to Linux Kubuntu Hardy Heron on
    the same system, and with either DVI-D or VGA cable, Linux immediately
    recognizes the screen as 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz and it displays nicely.

    I've installed the latest 82865G video drivers from Dell (Intel Extreme
    Graphics 2). Intel has archived only an older version of these drivers,
    which I've also tried. Neither version seems to alleviate the problem.
    Gateway's web site has no video driver support for this monitor. (Gateway
    does offer a display tuning application, which in vain attempts to set the
    computer to optimal display resolution, i.e. 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz.)

    I've tried monkeying around with the contents of C:\WINDOWS\INF\monitor.inf
    (after backing up the original) to put in higher resolutions for the Plug
    and Play monitor, but I am not totally sure that I've got everything right
    in the data field formats. Nor do I know how the Gateway monitor identifies
    itself to Windows so I could try to create a dedicated monitor*.inf entry
    for the Gateway. (Older Gateway monitors are present in one of the
    monitor*.inf files.)

    The BIOS is set to allow 8 MB preallocated to video memory. This according
    to Intel should be enough to allow the OS to boot up as 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz
    at 32 bits without requesting more video memory. The BIOS does not offer me
    anything higher than 8 MB. It is the latest BIOS update for this machine
    available from Dell. The machine itself has 1.5 gigabytes of DDR memory
    installed.

    If I didn't have a dedicated Windows proprietary application that I had to
    run there, I would say pshaw on Windows and go with Linux so I could use my
    expensive screen. But I require Windows for my application, and the
    application really wants AGP with DVI-D -- it says VGA will load down the
    computer too much.

    Any ideas how to get any further than this, O wise ones of the web? Thank
    you very mucho in advance-o.

    HiTech RedNeck, Aug 14, 2008

  2. Cari \(MS-MVP\), Aug 14, 2008

  3. HiTech RedNeck

    Ben Myers Guest

    Given that the monitor works as expected with Linux, this is clearly a software
    driver problem. Take that, friends of Bill Gates!

    For the latest Intel 82865G video drivers, go to the Intel web site. You will
    find them among the drivers for any Intel D865 board.

    I'm not familiar with the Silicon Image AGP card, so I can't offer advice there.
    You might also consider replacing this card with a better quality one with
    either an ATI or nVidia chipset. Both ATI and nVidia provide excellent driver
    support for their video chips. Or Matrox, which is pricey... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 15, 2008
  4. HiTech RedNeck

    |> Guest

    HiTech RedNeck wrote in
    You typed all that blather only to be told...
    Get fuckedo in advance-o.

    HTH

    --
    Cod Almighty

    alt.usenet.kooks
    Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

    |>, Aug 15, 2008
  5. These people are seriously sick !
    JFD

    Fritz Deneken, Aug 17, 2008
  6. HiTech RedNeck

    |> Guest

    Fritz Deneken wrote in
    Oh? I've only ever had thanks in advance marked as being rude and
    inconsiderate.
    --
    Cod Almighty

    alt.usenet.kooks