    hardware vendor), though these seemed to have disappeared after I
    disabled the USB in BIOS. XP has worked on the machine for about 6
    months prior to this re-installation.

    Monk, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Monk

    Bob Day Guest

    Check out the hardware:

    1. Make sure your CPU and case temperatures are OK, and
    that the CPU fan, case fans, and any other fans are
    working.

    2. Shut down your computer and turn off power *at the
    surge protector* (which cuts off standby power while
    leaving your computer grounded) or unplug it. Take
    the standard protections against static electricity
    (wear a wrist strap or keep one hand grounded at all
    times).

    3. Open up your computer and dust it out. *Do not use a
    vacuum cleaner* - it might cause static discharge.
    Get some dust remover spray (RadioShack has it) and
    a dust mask, and take your computer outside and spray
    out the dust. Keep the end of the spray straw at least
    six inches from any components and keep it moving so as
    to avoid excessive thermal shock to the components.

    5. If your computer is a few years old, remove your CMOS
    battery and check its voltage (or just replace it). In
    any case, Clear CMOS (see your mainboard manual for how to
    do it) and set up your BIOS again.

    6. Run a few cycles of "memtest86" (download from
    http://www.memtest86.com) to thoroughly check out your
    memory. You should get zero errors.

    -- Bob Day

    Bob Day, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Monk

    Bob Day Guest

    Sorry, I omitted a step:

    4. Reseat all the modules, including the memory modules,
    and cables inside your computer.

    -- Bob Day

    Bob Day, Jun 11, 2004