    such as CD-Drives?

    Tia,

    Jakob

    Jakob, Nov 15, 2004

  2. I don't think there are any such optical devices available. The manuals
    specified HDD, so it doesn't seem likely. Have you tried it wih another CD
    drive?
    Can you roll back to the previous IDE drivers, instead of the nvidia ones,
    or previous working drivers.
    Have you tried a plextor forum for known issues.
    Any error messages in Event Viewer?

    I can't use Kprobe (a DVD disc scanning utility for lite-on drives) and
    nvidia IDE drivers because it causes a reboot.

    Tou might try somewhere like www.cdfreaks.com for more help.

    hth.

    Son of Blahguy, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Jakob

    Jakob Guest

    Nope. Only solutions is pressing the reset switch.

    Anyway, I was lucky to be able to deinstall the nVidia IDE drivers. This
    first caused the explorer to crash now it works.

    I suspect the windows CD. It is a slipstreamed one, to which previously
    the VIA S-ATA driver was applied.

    Regards,

    Jakob

    Jakob, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Jakob

    Jakob Guest

    OK, the VIA S-ATA WIndows CD was seemingly not the major problem.

    After having upgraded the BIOS to the lastet version, the driver
    conflict VIA vs. nVidia was only a small problem.

    Jakob

    Jakob, Nov 21, 2004
  5. I would think if the device drivers didn't match the hardware they would
    simply not be installed.

    I did have a weird situation where using the NVIDIA IDE drivers my elcheapo
    CDRW would not shut down unless I had a CD in the drive. This was fixed by
    an upgrade to the firmware.
    It is quite easy to uninstall the NIDIA drivers through Control Panel, Add
    Remove Software.

    Son of Blahguy, Nov 21, 2004
  6. Jakob

    Jakob Guest

    Currently I suspect having a wrong firmware in my drive.

    Anyway, to get back on topic again: I am having a S-ATA HDD. After I
    have installed XP from a "clean" CD, the system locked mainly when
    playing a bigger game such as Sims II. OK, I also installed the nVidia
    IDE drivers. Once installed and the deinstalled, one is disabled to
    access the Floppy drive.

    Jakob

    Jakob, Nov 25, 2004