Win XP showing 0% battery charge and charging even when plugged in with charged battery

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Bud H, Jun 5, 2006.

  1. Bud H

    Bud H Guest

    5-year old Dell Latitude C600 notebook computer with 800 MHz Pentium
    processor and 256 MB RAM. After clean install of Windows XP SP2, Windows
    always shows the battery at 0% charge.

    When you unplug to work off the battery instead of plugged in to AC power,
    you immediately get the critical battery low alarm. I have had to disable
    automatic shutdown from the critical battery alarm, and I have confirmed the
    battery is good for more than an hour.

    The BIOS properly shows battery is at 100%. Also, I did disable some
    administrative services to save RAM use, but I see nothing that would cause
    this problem.

    This could be related to a problem noted at
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889816/en-us .

    Anyone know why the Windows XP battery meter would always think the battery
    is at 0% charge?

    Thanks in advance,

    Bud H

    Bud H, Jun 5, 2006

  2. Bud H

    Quaoar Guest

    I'd post this at alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, but I'll guess that there is a
    problem with the older ACPI bios or the notebook's hardware in this
    computer under XP (it does have ACPI compatibility?). Perhaps someone
    on the Dell forum knows a workaround, reg fix, BIOS update, or a better
    driver than the stock ACPI XP battery driver. Did you consult the
    Microsoft hardware compatibility site? Is there any hint in Event View
    logs about battery monitoring? Does Device Manager show the ACPI
    battery is running properly?

    Quaoar, Jun 5, 2006

  3. Bud H

    answers Guest

    If the battery is as old as the laptop then try a complete discharge
    and charge. Lithium Ion batteries, especially the older ones have a
    problem with the embedded smart electronics. The battery may be fine,
    but the electronics report incorrect information to the computer. By
    carrying out a complete discharge - charge you will be recalibrating
    the electronics as well. See if this helps.

    Battery wizard
    http://www.ComputerBatteries.co.uk

    answers, Jun 6, 2006
  4. Bud H

    Bud H Guest

    Possibly related issue.......

    When not plugged in, the Dell Latitude will not start when the power on
    button is pressed. BUT - if you plug it in, press the "On Button" and
    unplug it only one second later (before the boot process from BIOS has
    hardly started), it continues to startup properly. So it only needs to be
    plugged in when pushing the power button and no other time during the bootup
    or Windows XP startup.

    Strange?

    Bud H

    Bud H, Jun 7, 2006