win2k driver (or crack/converter) for ATI 4300 series vid card

Discussion in 'ATI' started by John, Jan 28, 2012.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have a need to run Win2K on a newish box that has an "ATI Technologies
    Mobility 4300 series" video card connected to an LCD monitor. I have an
    application that was designed for NT4 but will also run on W2K, alas the
    app won't even install on XP so I am stuck at 640x480 VGA in W2K ... not
    too tasty on a 24" LCD.

    As far as replacing the software with something more modern it would be
    *way* cheaper to just build another comp or two or three so that isn't a
    viable option at this point.

    So far all I can find are XP, VISTA or W7 drivers. I had hopes that
    someone may have hacked a driver or .INF file that will allow the ATI
    installer to use an XP driver on Win2K. If it hoses W2K that's OK as I
    installed it on a spare drive and can redo it easily enough.

    Thanks for any leads,
    John

    John, Jan 28, 2012

  2. Am 28.01.2012 17:40, schrieb John:
    Hello!

    Have you already tried to use the compatibility mode under xp? If no:
    right klick on the installer -> properties -> compatibility mode-> as OS
    select Win NT and try to install the software.
    If this doesn't work for you, install virtual box and install there
    win2k. Leave the system running under xp because it is the last os
    supported by ati. Then install in the virtual w2k vbox guest additions
    and you are able to scale the screen to the resolution you want.

    best regards

    oachkatzlschwoaf94, Jan 31, 2012

  3. John

    John Guest

    I don't see where you are going with the compatibility mode under XP?
    Although I do run XP on this comp as the primary OS, it was Win2K that I
    was trying to *dual boot* on the same comp. Win2K does boot and
    everything works except I can't find graphics drivers for the above
    mentioned ATI card so its 640x480 VGA on an HDMI capable card driving a
    24" LCD. As I said not too tasty, in fact it would probably make me go
    blind ;)

    Yea I tried all the free virtual offerings I could find and frankly
    'Virtual Box' worked the best by a mile. The one failing of Virtual Box
    is it doesn't support a parallel port and that is one thing I must have
    to the run the old application as it uses a parallel port dongle to
    verify that you own the software. From what I have Googled this has been
    a long asked request of Virtual Box but pretty much ignored by the
    authors, they probably think every one wants it to run an old printer or
    scanner.

    Although VmWarePlayer supports the parallel port it couldn't do anything
    with the graphics and I was still stuck running W2K in 640x480 VGA ... yuck.

    Ms's 2007 offering that would run under an XP host was just outright
    buggy and didn't offer anything but 640x480 VGA either, plus it also
    didn't' support the parallel port.

    So I am still looking for a video driver to run W2K natively in a dual
    boot configuration.

    I must stress that an updated application capable of running on XP or W7
    is extremely pricey (about $7k) plus there is about 12 years of work
    supporting the old version of the software that would be useless in the
    new version ... basically priceless.

    Thanks for your input,
    John

    John, Feb 1, 2012
  4. John

    John Guest

    Finally I had success using VmWarePlayer! I had to upgrade W2K to
    (unofficial) service pack 5.1 available at Major Geeks. Don't know what
    it added but it allowed VmWare tools to finally install and the graphics
    now work.

    John

    John, Feb 2, 2012