    2.48 or older. The 3000 is scheduled for production as soon as I can
    get to go but I would pay for support if someone can point me in the
    right direction. JM

    Johnny, Feb 21, 2006

  2. Johnny

    Ben Myers Guest

    Most older servers balk at the installation of Windows 2000 because the graphics
    controller does not have any drivers. In other words, the company that made the
    graphics chip is no longer in business, at least the graphics business.

    Open up the case of the computer. Look for a large chip near the connector for
    the monitor cable. It is probably a Cirrus Logic chip, a popular choice for
    servers back then. Find the switch or jumper on the motherboard to disable the
    on-board graphics. Then install a still-supported PCI graphics card. ATI and
    Matrox chipset cards are good choices. The PCI card does not have to be
    top-of-the-line. I have some suitable PCI cards here. I can sell you one for
    a very modest price.

    BTW, most Linux distributions would have no trouble finding the graphics chip
    and all other chipsets, installing drivers, and running smoothly. Micro$oft
    continually changes driver software interfaces from version to version of
    Window$, causing hardware to "break"... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Johnny

    Johnny Guest

    Ben,
    Thanks for the input but I after doing what you suggested I am getting
    the same result. I am inclined to believe that it has something to do
    with the keyboard and/or mouse or, it is related to the SCSI disk array
    not being configured correctly. Would you, or perhaps anyone know
    where I could get paid support for this unit? I don't mind paying if I
    can talk to someone that knows these things and how to make them tick.

    Thanks, Jeff Moore

    Johnny, Feb 22, 2006
  4. Johnny

    thomas rush Guest

    Are you sure you're trying to boot off a RAID controller?
    The SmartArray controller will, of course do RAID (althouth
    with non-Server Win2K, you may need to load the drivers)...
    a standard embedded SCSI controller probably won't (unless
    Windows has the built-in ability? I don't know; only used
    SmartArray controllers in Compaq/HP servers!).

    thomas.

    (remove AT AT to reply.)

    thomas rush, Mar 1, 2006
  5. Johnny

    Yeti68 Guest

    Hi
    thats right.

    If you try to install raid with the embedded Scsi controller it will fail.
    To support raid on a PL 3000 you need for sure an array controller. But you
    can find very cheap smartarray controllers which will do that fine. Those
    controlers are configured before installation of an OS, best way is via
    Smartstart. It's mostly a good idea to define a system disk which is not
    part of raid array and let the datas reside on the array.

    ++

    Yeti68, Mar 5, 2006