    The funniest thing would be if the Rip Off Apple strategy backfired this
    time around, and just made people switch to OS X... the playing field is a
    lot different now than it was the last time the Microsoft crooks tried it.

    Steve Gary, Dec 2, 2006

  2. Steve Gary

    Tom Scales Guest

    Like Apple has ever had an original idea?

    Just ask Xerox

    Tom Scales, Dec 2, 2006

  3. but apple didn't "copy" anything from xerox -- so you need to keep that
    in mind.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 2, 2006
  4. Steve Gary

    yttrx Guest

    This is an old and stupid argument, particularly for those of us who
    actually remember those days.

    -----yttrx

    yttrx, Dec 2, 2006
  5. Steve Gary

    Rex Ballard Guest

    Even funnier, most of these features have been a standard part of Linux
    since long before OS/X came out. Sure, XGL is a better handling of 3D
    OpenGL, but Linux has had OpenGL support since the mid 1990s, when SGI
    contributed their technology to Linux (most of it was actually
    developed as part of government contracts). In fact, for a while, it
    looked like VRML might be a really popular modelling language (VRML was
    a "shell" interpreter that converted scripts to OpenGL calls).
    It looks like it's been an even bigger back-fire. Microsoft has had to
    sign a deal with Novell, and make Linux part of their OEM offering in
    order to meet the demands of users who now insist on the capabilities
    of *nix along with *dows.

    Microsoft could still find itself facing lawsuits, or could end up
    offering similar contracts to other Linux distributors. Microsoft
    would offer Linux/Windows images to OEMs far an additional price - a
    small portion of the additional price going to Novell or the other
    distributors.

    Rex Ballard, Dec 2, 2006
  6. While there is some argument as to whether or not apple licensed technology
    from Xerox, there's no doubt that OSX is not an original product. Darwin
    is largely derived from FreeBSD, and Safari/Webkit is largely derived from
    KHTML. Other features, like Dashboard are copies of ideas Microsoft was
    shopping around in 2003 (see for an
    early 2003 preview video that shows the sidebar with widgets). Of course
    even those had precedents. Very little in computers is really "new".

    Also, don't forget that things like "time machine" in Leopard are (albeitly
    better implemented) copies of Windows Volume Shadow Copies (been around
    since 2003) and Spotlight was also copied from early versions of Longhorn.

    Erik Funkenbusch, Dec 2, 2006
  7. Steve Gary

    yttrx Guest

    No, its largely derived from NeXTStep, and somewhat derived from BSD, as
    NeXTStep was.
    And the unix world had in the form of karamba toys in 2001...
    Nothing at microsoft is really new, they copy EVERYTHING.
    Which IBM invented almost congruently with SGI as jfs and xfs modules,
    respectively, and Veritas implemented for the rest of the Unices and even
    windows years before microsoft thought to copy it.
    Another fucking lie. Christ, eric.

    -----yttrx

    yttrx, Dec 2, 2006
  8. Steve Gary

    DB Guest

    Let's sum up the arguments, shall we?

    MAC: "There's ample documentation to prove that much of the Windows
    interface has been copied from the Mac OS, for decades."

    WINDOWS: "Oh yeah? Well... well... well... YOU SUCK, DUDE!"

    DB, Dec 2, 2006
  9. Yes, but Darwin was derived from FreeBSD rather than the official UCB BSD
    that NeXTStep was.
    Karamba came around about the same time, yes... which is even further
    evidence that Apple did not invent this.
    As does everyone else.
    Not the same thing at all. Veritas and SGI and such could access backups
    that had been done previously, not be able to go back to snapshots of the
    filesystem at any time.
    We were even talking about it here in 2003

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...ghorn+search+author:Funkenbusch&lnk=ol&hl=en&

    That's a year before Spotlight shipped in the form of OSX 10.4

    Erik Funkenbusch, Dec 2, 2006
  10. No.

    MAC: You copied us. We invented everything

    Windows: That's the pot calling the kettle black

    MAC: But we invented the "flower power" iMac

    Windows: No contest there.

    Erik Funkenbusch, Dec 2, 2006
  11. Steve Gary

    yttrx Guest

    Ahem...

    Neither can windows.

    -----yttrx

    yttrx, Dec 2, 2006
  12. Steve Gary

    yttrx Guest

    Eric, you're a toner monkey in a little idiot community college
    in minnessotta. What do you have to say about anything thats
    actually pertinent?

    -----yttrx

    yttrx, Dec 2, 2006
  13. Steve Gary

    DB Guest

    ROFLMAO!

    DB, Dec 2, 2006
  14. Steve Gary

    Tom Scales Guest

    How about the ENTIRE Mac?

    Tom Scales, Dec 2, 2006
  15. And for 90% of average computer users, no one cares.

    Windows is just fine for me. I guess I'm not 1337.

    Chris H. of Portland, OR, Dec 2, 2006
  16. Steve Gary

    Tom Scales Guest

    Some of us DO remember it. Is it stupid just because it is accurate?

    Tom Scales, Dec 2, 2006
  17. Steve Gary

    DB Guest

    I think you're underestimating.

    DB, Dec 2, 2006
  18. Steve Gary

    Bob Levine Guest

    I don't normally feed trolls, but you know what? You're absolutely
    right. They copied many of the nicer features of OSX. And just like I
    figured all the Mac biggots out there that have been touting how much
    better OSX is are now complaining because Windows is more like it. Make
    up your mind.

    So what if it Mac users start loading Windows on the new Mactels and
    discover that it's acutally better? Rosetta is a complete abortion when
    trying to run non UB apps and loading Windows along with the Win version
    is far superior.

    Just my $0.02,

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Dec 2, 2006
  19. Steve Gary

    the Bede Guest

    if only everyone would switch to Unix. then the world would be perfect.

    the Bede, Dec 2, 2006
  20. Steve Gary

    journey Guest

    Unfortunately, with the lack of good specialized software programs for
    the Mac, it won't be a good choice for a lot of people. For example,
    I use Info Select (www.miclog.com) which is a great program to store
    and search for data, and about 10 other programs.

    I think the Mac is appealing though to those who want a simplified
    system that includes some of the apps a person not that knowledgeable
    about computers would appreciate.

    journey, Dec 2, 2006