    90's catching INIT (from a Kinko's diskette) that deleted his FileMaker
    database among tons of other files on his Centris 660 - that memory
    was implanted in my head by spooks, right?

    Jolly Roger, Dec 4, 2006

  2. Steve Gary

    Mitch Guest

    The point of these arguments isn't that Windows users alway suffer from
    viruses, but that they always have to consider them. It is an
    ever-present consideration.
    Since that isn't true for any other platform, it's a very significant
    distinction.

    It would be foolish to consider using Windows and pretend all of those
    things aren't threats, even if you don't actually have to do much to
    protect yourself from many of them (like turning on a firewall can
    protect from many things, and only has to be turned on once.)

    Mitch, Dec 4, 2006

  3. Steve Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I read an article about such a study. A University put
    one hundred Windows machines with no configuration changes
    on the internet. Average time to infection was twenty minutes.

    Unfortunately, I do not remember enough details to find the
    article again. So go ahead Windows addicts: call me a liar.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    There are some ideas so wrong that only a
    very intelligent person could believe in them.
    -- George Orwell

    Wes Groleau, Dec 4, 2006
  4. Steve Gary

    Jolly Roger Guest

    That should have been:

    At the core of Mac OS X is Darwin - based on FreeBSD. And you can
    install Darwin without all the high-level GUI stuff in Mac OS X. Are
    you really stating that Linux can be more secure than Darwin & FreeBSD?
    If so, prove it.

    Jolly Roger, Dec 4, 2006
  5. Steve Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    In WHAT days? I was almost ready to give up on Mac and go to Windows
    when Apple saved their butts by releasing OS X.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    -----------

    "Thinking I'm dumb gives people something to
    feel smug about. Why should I disillusion them?"
    -- Charles Wallace
    (in _A_Wrinkle_In_Time_)

    Wes Groleau, Dec 4, 2006
  6. Steve Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Pretty darn stable? It's certainly usable, and I preferred it to
    Windows, but it most certainly crashed more often than Windows 2000
    (but less often than Windows 98)

    --
    Wes Groleau
    "To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying

    Wes Groleau, Dec 4, 2006
  7. Steve Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Most Mac apps and Windows apps can do that.

    SOME apps on each platform cannot.

    That is not a question of the O.S.

    It's a question of how careless the programmers are.

    I am a programmer who has made and corrected such
    a mistake a time or two. I have also called vendors
    with complaints and had tech support ask in amazement,
    "Why in the world would anybody NOT want it to be in
    that directory?"

    Wes Groleau, Dec 4, 2006
  8. Steve Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I'm a Mac user, but that doesn't prevent me from knowing
    that AVG is free.

    And so is ClamAV for Mac, not that it matters.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    A UNIX signature isn't a return address, it's the ASCII equivalent
    of a black velvet clown painting. It's a rectangle of carets
    surrounding a quote from a literary giant of weeniedom like
    Heinlein or Dr. Who.
    -- Chris Maeda

    Ha, ha, Dr. ..... Who's Chris Maeda?
    -- Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau, Dec 4, 2006
  9. In Windows, let's say "Application X" is used to
    open files with the extension ".xyz". In other
    words, it is associated with that extension.

    Now I drag "Application X" from the folder it is
    in, to any other folder. It doesn't matter where,
    just some other folder.

    Now in Explorer, I double-click on a file with the
    extension ".xyz". The OS will try and open
    "Application X" but it won't be at the location it
    expects it to be.

    As a programmer, what could you possibly have done
    to prevent this?

    Steve

    Steve de Mena, Dec 4, 2006
  10. That is definitely one of the coolest features of
    OS X, the NON reliance on paths and drive letters.
    The ability to copy the startup drive to a
    backup drive, mark the backup bootable, and restart.

    Steve

    Steve de Mena, Dec 4, 2006
  11. Steve Gary

    Paul Sture Guest

    Thank you Frazer. It went further when DEC handed MS a load of
    clustering technology in the mid 1990s. That's more about reliability
    than the kind of security issues being discussed in this thread, but MS
    ignored that too.

    Paul Sture, Dec 4, 2006

    Jim Richardson, Dec 4, 2006
  13. Steve Gary

    Paul Sture Guest

    I think we only need to add HP-UX and IBM's z/OS to the above, and
    that's what the the world's stock exchanges and the major banks use for
    their real data processing work.
    Yup.

    Paul Sture, Dec 4, 2006
  14. That would imply my Windows systems are actually
    full of viruses, spyware, bots, etc etc, when they
    are not.

    It's more likely my hard drive will crash and I'll
    lose 100% of the data on the drive.

    But of course I have backups so there is really
    nothing for me to "worry" about.

    Steve

    Steve de Mena, Dec 4, 2006
  15. Steve Gary

    Rockboy Guest

    Sounds like he got the AIDS.

    Rockboy, Dec 4, 2006
  16. Steve Gary

    Rockboy Guest

    So what you've just told us is, you have no idea what a firewall is for.

    If Macs don't need a firewall, why does OS X come with one?

    Rockboy, Dec 4, 2006
  17. The BBC did this a few months ago. They made a
    big deal of their "honey-pot" test. They spread
    it over 2 or 3 articles on their news website.

    The short story? Yes it got infected with spyware
    and lots of junk. BUT, not by just sitting there,
    they intentionally went to questionable sites and
    basically clicked on everything in site. And
    they also changed XP SP 2 from its defaults and
    turned OFF the built-in Firewall.

    Steve

    Steve de Mena, Dec 4, 2006
  18. Steve Gary

    RnR Guest

    I don't agree but no biggie.

    I would say the same about foolish mac users based on some past posts
    in this thread.

    RnR, Dec 4, 2006
  19. Steve Gary

    Wegie Guest

    an INIT was not a virus, you don't "catch" INIT's, you install them.
    They were system extensions, so please at least get your definitions
    correct before you continue to "make stuff up".

    no Classic Mac virus ever deleted anything, m a y b e corrupted a
    file here and there, but never "deleted" anything, that's impossible.

    Wegie, Dec 4, 2006
  20. Steve Gary

    d4rkn1ght Guest

    In the days of Windows 95/98/ME. Not Win2k, XP, etc... Those get their
    whopping from OSX.

    d4rkn1ght, Dec 4, 2006