    single file or directory. If, however, there are multiple top-level
    items in the tarball or zip, you get a folder named after the tarball or
    zip file, containing those items.

    Tim Smith, Dec 4, 2006

  2. Steve Gary

    Jolly Roger Guest

    I've developed software for Macs since 1988. I know what an INIT file is.

    I'm not talking about an INIT file - I'm talking about the INIT virus.
    My friend caught the INIT 9403 virus from a Mac floppy he used at
    Kinkos. And I witnessed files disappearing each time he restarted the
    machine before we caught it with Disinfectant.
    No, it's not impossible. It happened. I and my friend saw it happen on
    his computer in the early 90s. And I pointed you to a web site that
    gives details about it:
    <http://www.macvirus.org/database_detail/29/Virus/INIT 9403>. You cat
    like I haven't said any of this.

    You may choose to ignore reality, but sticking your fingers in your
    ears and lying to yourself doesn't change the past.

    Jolly Roger, Dec 4, 2006

  3. Steve Gary

    Tim Smith Guest

    Because you can do things on Macs that would make it so you would want a
    firewall. What makes you think he is doing any of those things?

    Tim Smith, Dec 4, 2006
  4. Steve Gary

    C Lund Guest

    If you had actually done as I suggested, you would have seen that
    there is very little resemblance between the Mac GUI and that of
    Xerox. The resemblance between the early Windows and Mac GUIs, otoh,
    is very strong.

    C Lund, Dec 4, 2006
  5.
    John McWilliams, Dec 4, 2006
  6. Steve Gary

    d4rkn1ght Guest

    Try Windows ME and Mac OS 9 and then see who was the one that crashed and
    had the most problems.

    Windows 2000 (NT) was the next generation of Windows. It was more modern and
    stable than ME and OS9.

    But Apple got Mac OS X (UNIX).

    Now, try Windows 2000/XP and Mac OS X and then see who is the one that crash
    and have the most problems!

    Between 1999 and 2001 all these OSes were happening:

    Mac OS 9 October 23, 1999

    Windows 2000 February 17, 2000

    Windows ME September 14, 2000

    Mac OS X March 24, 2001

    According to: http://www.guidebookgallery.org/

    d4rkn1ght, Dec 4, 2006
  7. Steve Gary

    Wegie Guest

    I've developed software for Macs since 1988. I know what an INIT file is.

    I'm not talking about an INIT file - I'm talking about the INIT virus.
    My friend caught the INIT 9403 virus from a Mac floppy he used at
    Kinkos. And I witnessed files disappearing each time he restarted the
    machine before we caught it with Disinfectant.[/QUOTE]

    And so you were running an Italian Mac at Kinko? since your reference
    only shows INIT 9403 affected those localized systems.

    Sorry, but you continue to dig yourself in deeper and deeper.

    "Init-9403 (SysX): Infects applications and Finder under systems 6
    and 7. Attempts to overwrite whole startup volume and disk
    information on all connected hard drives. Only found on Macs
    running the Italian version of MacOS."

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-virus/macintosh-faq/
    I'm just pointing out your ignorance on the subject, so don't blame
    me... the messenger of facts.

    KInko's was running an Italian OS, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

    Wegie, Dec 4, 2006
  8. Steve Gary

    Jolly Roger Guest

    And so you were running an Italian Mac at Kinko? since your reference
    only shows INIT 9403 affected those localized systems.

    Sorry, but you continue to dig yourself in deeper and deeper.

    "Init-9403 (SysX): Infects applications and Finder under systems 6
    and 7. Attempts to overwrite whole startup volume and disk
    information on all connected hard drives. Only found on Macs running
    the Italian version of MacOS."

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-virus/macintosh-faq/[/QUOTE]

    Wait... so now you admit that a old classic Mac virus could actually
    delete data??
    I could have sworn you said "no classic mac virus ever caused a user to
    lose data", yet here we are talking about a web page that proves
    otherwise.

    Sorry, but "messenger of the facts" my ass.
    I have to say you are making yourself look like a total ass right about
    now. I love how you conveniently left out this part:

    "It seems that this virus was spread through pirated software, and
    infects the Finder, as well as certain compacting and archiving
    programs."

    It just so happens it was common practice in the 90s for Mac users to
    put commonly-used programs, such as compression software (compact pro,
    stuffit, etc) on FLOPPY DISKS along with data they were moving around
    on those floppy disks. All it takes is for Stuffit to be infected on a
    floppy for the next person to catch the virus.

    But hey - you're Mr. Know-It-All. Whatever you say must be true -
    regardless of what anyone with *actual* experience or anti virus
    companies have to say about it.

    Jolly Roger, Dec 4, 2006

    Jim Richardson, Dec 4, 2006
  10. Steve Gary

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    "DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy,
    and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70
    million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand,
    may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that
    numbers alone do not denote a higher life form."

    -New York Times, November 26, 1991

    Kurt Ullman, Dec 4, 2006
  11. Steve Gary

    Leythos Guest

    I got news for you son, I used the first apply to hit the market in Ohio
    when it was introduced and I bought a Commodore PET 2001 instead of it
    at that time. And for as long as MAC has been around I've called them
    MAC's instead of Apple, so believe what you want, but that would make
    you an ignorant troll.
    LOL, and I was doing those on Windows, sending them in PS to the
    printers to be opened on their MAC's, and then printed, and the only
    complication was to ensure that I used the same fonts that the MAC's
    had. Guess you don't have enough experience to know what you're talking
    about.
    BS, I'm talking about NEW, current technology, not old/used/refurb
    hardware.
    LOL, now you do sound like a troll - seems you don't understand - there
    was NO price listed on the link you posted, that was nothing except a
    bunch of options/specs, and all of those items are available for a PC
    and almost all of them come included in every base/mid level PC.

    Show me a link to a configured system, one with the details, and I show
    you the same in a PC, for less - New systems, not used/refurbs.
    LOL, you didn't prove me wrong, you only proved that you don't know what
    you're talking about, that you've never used a PC in conjunction with a
    MAC for the same functions, and that you're a troll.

    Leythos, Dec 4, 2006
  12. Steve Gary

    Leythos Guest

    I've been designing computer systems for over 30 years, before we had
    PC's and Apple computers. In all that time I've never had a compromised
    system on any network I've designed or maintained. Now, with more than
    2500 PC's and 80 some servers, all running Windows OS and apps, still
    not a single compromised computer.

    It's not about the OS, although a secure OS can make it a lot easier,
    it's about the target level and about the design of the protection
    layers.

    MAC's are just not a target, but they have listed exploits that impact
    them and users - just read the security alerts about OS/x and the apps
    for MAC's, they have their issues too.

    When OS/x becomes as hated as Windows you'll see very real attacks.

    Leythos, Dec 4, 2006
  13. The fact remains, there are *NO* viruses or spyware for OS X in the
    wild. How about that Windows machine of yours?

    Randall Ainsworth, Dec 4, 2006
  14. WTF is your problem? I know damned good and well what firewalls are
    for. The reason OS X includes one? They're useful for more than keeping
    out viruses and spyware. Now, you'd better let mom have her e-Machine
    back.

    Randall Ainsworth, Dec 4, 2006
  15. Steve Gary

    Paul Sture Guest

    I remember that one too. A few years back a colleague was helping his
    father set up a home Windows system and it got infected before it had
    chance to download the latest patches.
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19/infected_in20_minutes/>

    Also see the PDF "Windows XP: Surviving the First Day" available at:

    <http://www.sans.org/rr/papers/index.php?id=1298>

    Paul Sture, Dec 4, 2006
  16. http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102379

    They tend to disagree
    Irrelevant.

    There have been other instances of malware for OSX.
    "harmless" by windows standards, but nonetheless "malware"

    http://cme.mitre.org/data/list.html#4

    Shows a definition of the "Leap.A" worm

    So, yes, your wild claim of "the fact remains, there are *NO* viruses or
    spyware for OS X in the wild" is just that: A wild claim. And untrue

    Peter Köhlmann, Dec 4, 2006
  17. Steve Gary

    Wegie Guest

    easy, here is a 24" iMac for $1,899

    http://snipurl.com/140rd

    show me a cheaper PC system with those specs & features for less price.
    Bet you can't!

    Apple machines are now the low cost leaders.

    Wegie, Dec 4, 2006
  18. I've been designing computer systems for over 30 years, before we had
    PC's and Apple computers. In all that time I've never had a compromised
    system on any network I've designed or maintained. Now, with more than
    2500 PC's and 80 some servers, all running Windows OS and apps, still
    not a single compromised computer.[/QUOTE]

    you have wasted your life setting up crappy PCs? gosh your life must
    suck. If you were smart you would have switched over to Macs 22 years
    ago. I bet you aren't college educated.
    What? It's ALL about the OS X doesn't have security problem because
    Apple designed it correctly from the start. Microsoft is totally inept
    when it comes to writing software.
    No, OS X is based on Unix, so no matter how popular it becomes, it will
    never have Virus problems. Do you even use OS X?
    It's not about hate, it's all about a better performing operating
    system. Only idiots use Windows.

    Mark Thompson, Dec 4, 2006
  19. Steve Gary

    Paul Sture Guest

    You missed NT 4.0, from 1996 onwards, and prior to that NT 3.51.

    Paul Sture, Dec 4, 2006
  20. Steve Gary

    Wegie Guest

    Wait... so now you admit that a old classic Mac virus could actually
    delete data??[/QUOTE]

    only if you do your computing in Italy! too funny!
    no, we have zero proof anyone lost any data, only... "could lose data"
    (just like I suspected), that's a big difference. find me a certifiable
    quote of a person that directly lost data as a result of a virus on the
    classic os, and we'll go from there.
    It's what he said, and the proof is it "could" only occur on an Italian
    version of the OS. Was Kinko's in the USA running an Italian Mac?
    Doubtful.
    But as long as you weren't running an Italian Mac, you had nothing to
    worry about.
    So? nobody lost data because of it, but you continue to conveniently
    overlook that, interesting!
    Look, I know basically EVERYTHING that happened to macs over the last 23
    years. I'm extremely honest, so what I say is fact. You need to learn
    this before you go up against me. I will burn you every time unless you
    understand "this fact".

    Wegie, Dec 4, 2006