(WinBlows) Ha ha, Vista's just an OSX ripoff

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Steve Gary, Dec 2, 2006.

  1. Steve Gary

    Leythos Guest

    Your system was $1994 before rebate, so lets work off that.

    LCD - 24" LCD Monitor
    Acer AL2416wd 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor $695

    That leaves $1299 to buy the PC with

    I just configured a Dell E520, without any discounts, for $1077, and
    that included Dual Dual layer DVD drives XP Media Center Edition with
    Free upgrade to Vista 256MB Ati X1300 video card, 7.1 Channel Sound, and
    a 13 in 1 media card reader - the only option I didn't cover was the
    BlueTooth, and I included the webcam.

    That leaves $222 to cover the rebate you show included in your price,
    and to find a blue-tooth network device if needed.

    Now, tell me again how much cheaper and what a leader Apple is.

    Leythos, Dec 4, 2006

  2. Steve Gary

    Leythos Guest

    you have wasted your life setting up crappy PCs? gosh your life must
    suck. If you were smart you would have switched over to Macs 22 years
    ago. I bet you aren't college educated.[/QUOTE]

    You would be wrong on all accounts.
    Seems very strange that OS/X platform systems have a lot of "security"
    alerts/update pushed out by Apple - did you miss that?
    LOL, and you really don't understand computer/network security - you do
    know that many nix based web servers are knocked off-line, rooted,
    etc... or are you just blind to all things outside the false os/x world
    you see to believe in?
    Strange, in all the years I've been doing this, 30+, apple was the least
    friendly to developers, least able to process "Business" work, and the
    just as buggy was Windows major releases - just look at all the problems
    people had moving to os/x.

    Leythos, Dec 4, 2006

  3. Steve Gary

    Leythos Guest

    To the MAC group, sorry for not seeing the trolling being posted to your
    groups, I didn't read the headers.

    I will adjust the reply headers to only reply to the group I'm reading
    this from now. Sorry for the intrusion.

    Leythos, Dec 4, 2006
  4. Steve Gary

    Wegie Guest

    no, let's NOT work off that. I said $1899... which is the total PRICE
    delivered to my door.
    Where is the 802.11g Wireless?
    Where is built in Bluetooth?
    Where is the Media Center Remote Control?
    Where is FireWire 400?
    Where is Firewire 800?
    Where is the built in Camera?
    Where is iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iTunes, iDVD?

    Where is the thin, all in one design? You only showed me a system like
    it was designed in 1988. I thought you were going to provide a price for
    a thin model like this: http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html

    So you really failed to do what I asked.

    In other words, you can't get a cheaper machine than the iMac in the PC
    world. PC's are just too primitive to compete against Apple from here on
    out.

    Wegie, Dec 4, 2006
  5. Steve Gary

    Ted Landry Guest

    What's a MAC?

    we use Macs here, not MACS, there is no such device as a MAC.

    Ted Landry, Dec 4, 2006
  6. Steve Gary

    Leythos Guest

    Oh, so without the BT option I beat your price by more than $100,
    including shipping and your rebate.
    You didn't ask for a Thin - and why would I want to put all that in a
    slim system were any part that fails means I have to do without the
    entire system for X weeks of repair.
    You failed to go look.
    - I only included the changes from your spec, not all of the systems.
    Get off your arse and look this time.

    Leythos, Dec 4, 2006
  7. Steve Gary

    Wegie Guest

    yes, Apple continuously polishes the OS before any problems can develop,
    unlike MS where they wait until issues occur. OSX doesn't have any
    security problems because of this attention to even the slightest detail.
    Not OSX ones, it's much more refined than what most servers are running.
    You can't root OSX from the outside, it's impossible. Sounds like you
    have MUCH to learn in this area, here's a link to help you get started.

    http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/
    Apple did have a few years of bad developer support but that was decades
    ago. OSX is the most bug free OS in common use today, and no, most
    releases of Apple software is 70% more stable than what MS releases.
    (part of that is Windows is still using poorly made hardware) but still,
    Apple does a far better job in testing and building stable products.

    What problems did people have moving to OSX? That what pretty damn
    smooth. I guess you never experienced it.

    Wegie, Dec 4, 2006
  8. Steve Gary

    Leythos Guest

    Look at the name of the groups you replied too, .mac. Would seem you
    need to grow up a little.

    Leythos, Dec 4, 2006
  9. Steve Gary

    Jolly Roger Guest

    Mark please stop giving Mac users a bad name by making statements like
    this. Mac OS X will *never* have virus problems? How do you know? Never
    is a long time.

    Jolly Roger, Dec 4, 2006
  10. Mark please stop giving Mac users a bad name by making statements like
    this. Mac OS X will *never* have virus problems? How do you know? Never
    is a long time.[/QUOTE]

    yes, never is a long time, but if current trends continue, there will be
    "no" viruses on OSX. Even if there are 1 or 2 in the next few years they
    will be highly isolated since OSX does not allow for propagation of
    Virii. Mac users tend to be correct by using this stance, only Windows
    users seem to take issue with it.

    Mark Thompson, Dec 4, 2006
  11. Outdated document. Looks like it was produced
    before Windows XP SP2, which is what any computer
    from the last couple of years would have. The XP
    install now asks you questions about Automatic
    Updates and security (Firewall) that are not shown
    in this document.

    Steve

    Steve de Mena, Dec 4, 2006
  12. Steve Gary

    Jolly Roger Guest

    only if you do your computing in Italy! too funny![/QUOTE]

    *sigh* Maybe it was another strain of the INIT virus. It's admittedly
    been a long time since this happened. That doesn't change the fact that
    it did happen. He went to Kinkos and caught a virus. Files were
    deleted - Disinfectant detected the virus (pretty sure it was the
    "INIT" virus of one flavor or another) and removed it but the files it
    had deleted were still gone.

    Now that I think about it, my dad once had a Mac virus that infected
    damn near every floppy he had before he realized what was going on. It
    caused random system crashes that frequently caused any files that were
    open to become corrupt and unusable. Technically, that's loss of data
    caused by a virus.
    I see. So you are the all-knowing Mac expert, and because you say it
    is so makes it so. I'll try to keep that in mind from now on. Thanks.

    Jolly Roger, Dec 4, 2006
  13. Steve Gary

    Wegie Guest

    *sigh* Maybe it was another strain of the INIT virus. It's admittedly
    been a long time since this happened. That doesn't change the fact that
    it did happen. He went to Kinkos and caught a virus. Files were
    deleted - Disinfectant detected the virus (pretty sure it was the
    "INIT" virus of one flavor or another) and removed it but the files it
    had deleted were still gone.[/QUOTE]

    okay, change the story, that's fine.

    yes, it has been a long time, but i ASSURE YOU, no files were deleted
    because of any MacOS virus. YES, people could goof up their machines
    enough to cause data loss..... from trying to delete a virus, but no
    virus was able to "delete" files on the MacOS. Never happened.
    No. system crashes cannot be considered "data loss" because of a virus.
    Yes, some mac viruses did cause crashes, but they are in no way
    "directly" related to any data loss anymore than bad code could be
    attributed to "viruses".
    yes, thanks for finally understanding the situation. have a good day.

    Wegie, Dec 4, 2006
  14. Steve Gary

    Jolly Roger Guest

    okay, change the story, that's fine.[/QUOTE]

    I haven't changed the story. I admit maybe I don't remember the exact
    strain of INIT virus is all.
    Bull. Assure all you want, it doesn't change the fact that the virus
    deleted files. It happened.

    It's interesting - you refer to http://macvirus.org to back up *some*
    of your claims, but then you selectively ignore *other* stuff from the
    same web site.

    <http://www.macvirus.org/database_detail/25/Virus/INIT-M> states:

    "It can damage large numbers of folders and files, changing their names
    to random strings of characters. It also charges file creators and
    types to random 4 character strings, which changes the files\' icons,
    rendering them unusable, unless this information is changed back to the
    original. It resets the files\' creation and modification dates to
    January 1, 1904. In some cases, the virus deletes files"

    Get the last part there "the virus deletes files"?

    Jolly Roger, Dec 4, 2006
  15. Steve Gary

    Ian Gregory Guest

    Agreed. Unix is not magically immune to malware. Anyone who was using
    the Internet back in 1988 (which I was) will remember the Morris Worm
    which caused havok. It propagated by taking advantage of holes in the
    Unix sendmail and fingerd programs. It is obvious that there are potential
    vulnerabilities in all complex operating systems and anyone with half
    a clue is aware of that fact.

    But saying that Mac OS X is vulnerable avoids the practical fact that
    the huge constant ddos attack on SMTP servers known as spam (which is
    really the only way I am affected by any security issues) is launched
    from botnets of zombie machines running Windows - not Mac OS X.

    It is like saying that a pillow is just as capable of killing
    someone as a landmine - which is true but kind of misleading. As
    things stand at the moment, every person who switches from Windows
    to Mac OS X reduces the number of hosts which are currently at real
    practical risk of being assimilated into the botnets, thus improving
    the Internet for all users (except the evil spamlords). In fact, I
    wouldn't be surprised if the spamlords are behind some of the
    anti-Mac FUD:)

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Dec 4, 2006
  16. Steve Gary

    d4rkn1ght Guest

    I know! But Win2k NT 5.0 was when MS brought it to the regular consumer. It
    was the end for the DOS Windows. The transition was completed with Windows
    XP.

    Just like Mac OS Classic to OSX Unix.

    Windows got NT, and Mac OS got Unix.

    My point was that you can't compare OS9 with Win2k or XP. Just like you
    can't compare Windows 98 or ME to OSX.

    d4rkn1ght, Dec 4, 2006
  17. Hear, hear. Professinally maintaining well-configured (some would say
    crippled) systems in a secure, firewalled corporate environment is very,
    very far from average Joe and Jane with their chatting, gaming,
    kazaaing, gambling, porn-surfing teenagers (and selfs?).
    A secure OS makes a hell of a difference for avarage Joe and Jane.

    Anders Eklöf, Dec 4, 2006
  18. When did VMS become a UNIX system?
    I have to disagree there, since I have personally had to take care of a
    Solaris box that was hijacked (through a well-known RPC vulnerablility
    that was later fixed) - it sent out about 1/2 million spam before we
    managed to stop it. It was serving a microscope, and nobody had an idea
    that sendmail was running... A couple of in-da-house IRIX boxes were
    compromised about the same time but it never went that far.

    But note, they were all hacked, not wormed or trojaned. We haven't had
    one single NT4 or W2K box that hasn't got infected, trojaned, hijacked
    or whatever, despite up-to-date AV software. XP machines are a bit
    better off - not least since SP2 came around.

    Anders Eklöf, Dec 4, 2006
  19. Steve Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Mark Thompson blathered:
    What's your point? Trying to make people think Mac users
    are a bunch of jerks more at home with pointless insults
    than with evidence and logic?

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Change is inevitable.
    Liberals need to learn that "inevitable" is not a synonym for "good."
    Conservatives should learn that "inevitable" is not a synonym for "bad."
    -- WWG

    Wes Groleau, Dec 5, 2006
  20. Why are you here? Ah, to be added to the kill list so I don't have to
    see your posts, that's why. Just for the record, I use both and find them
    equally annoying, but when I have to pay for one myself, I buy Windows and
    usually Dell. Considered the Mac Book Pro recently, but eh lack of a viable
    EV-DO option at the time killed it. As another poster pointed out, the lack
    of the right button for the trackpad, a delete key and some other annoyances
    also played a factor. But hey, style is everything.

    Thomas M. Goethe, Dec 5, 2006