(WinBlows) Ha ha, Vista's just an OSX ripoff

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Steve Gary, Dec 2, 2006.

  1. Oh yeah, real docking stations and no thrid party kludges. Another blow
    against Apple.

    You have never worked with Macs (not MAC) or OSX not OS/x - Your
    improper use of the terms shows you are lying.

    Macs have much better software than Windows does today, so you mean
    there isn't anything on "Windows" that can't be done on Macs, not the
    other way around. Macs run EVERY OS used today, it's the most universal
    system sold. Macs have over 16,500 programs all of them better than the
    65,000 or so versions on Windows.

    Macs are now the same price as any top tier PC Vendor since Apple builds
    more of the same model than most PC Vendors and there is no Microsoft
    Tax which makes PCs slightly more expensive if you look at the features.
    The days of Macs being "more expensive" died years ago. Just try and
    configure something like this, with as many features on the PC, bet you
    can't.

    http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

    Yes, there are more games for PCs. Good for you... you got one right!

    you win 100 Points!
    [/QUOTE]

    Thomas M. Goethe, Dec 5, 2006

  2. Steve Gary

    Ted Landry Guest

    What? the MacBook Pro has several EVDO card options, just google around
    for them and it will come up. This will get you started.

    http://snipurl.com/qnqc

    A right trackpad button? it's been on PowerBooks and MacBooks for over a
    year.

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/6/2/4195

    Most Mac users don't need "training wheels" of the 2nd button, but if
    you still do, you now have it.

    a Forward Delete Key has been there for over a decade!

    Style plays very little into Macs, it's all about the details and
    quality of the product, operating system and software.

    PCs don't have any of this, that's why smart people always buy Macs.

    http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

    Ted Landry, Dec 5, 2006

  3. Steve Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    No, Unix started out as a hobby. But since it is over thirty years old,
    it's had a lot of time to get its act cleaned up. Plus, it started out
    better than Microsoft and has had a better attitude about security all
    along. Microsoft is almost as old BUT they have never really cared
    about security, only about getting caught.

    Wes Groleau, Dec 5, 2006
  4. Steve Gary

    Ted Landry Guest

    you sure don't know much about Macs. First of all you don't need
    "docking stations" with the advent of the "wireless" era. Both your
    internet connection and printers (usb or whatever) are all wireless on
    Macs. If you need a monitor, just connect it.

    Or if you live in the old world, (which it sounds like you do) just buy
    a dock for your Mac. How novel!

    http://www.bookendzdocks.com/

    Ted Landry, Dec 5, 2006
  5. Steve Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Wes Groleau, Dec 5, 2006
  6. Steve Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I can't see it on any machine, because I don't want to.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which
    the only specification is that it should run noiselessly.
    -- unknown

    Wes Groleau, Dec 5, 2006
  7. Steve Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Refuse to cooperate with that asinine "Registry" scheme.
    The same thing _can_ happen in Mac OS, too. It usually doesn't,
    but I have seen "Can't find application" when it has only
    been moved.

    But I thought he was talking about the ability to double-click
    a program that isn't in its "correct" location. Which doesn't
    work if a programmer has written the entire literal path of
    the "correct" location into the code.

    I have run across Mac programs that don't work if they are
    not located in /Applications (one version of MS Office for
    example, but it's fixed now).

    One version of address book refused to work unless ALL of the
    following conditions were true:
    - the database has the path and name address book wants
    - it is writeable by you (even if you only use it for read)
    - it is a file, NOT an alias or symlink

    Wes Groleau, Dec 5, 2006
  8. Steve Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Strong enough that Apple thought they could win a lawsuit
    against the copycats.

    Wes Groleau, Dec 5, 2006
  9. Steve Gary

    ZnU Guest

    As far as I'm aware, there's no other mechanism by which you can
    instruct Windows to launch your application when a file is
    double-clicked, though.

    [snip]

    ZnU, Dec 5, 2006
  10. It's funny about the keyboard. My new MacBook Pro
    is now my main system for email, web browsing and
    newsgroup reading. I like OS X a lot but if I had
    known about the keyboard differences I might have
    thought twice about buying one.

    Steve

    Steve de Mena, Dec 5, 2006
  11. That's a workaround, not an actual button.
    Did you actually READ the links you sent? Another
    workaround, using a TWO key combination. I don't
    want to use two hands to do some of this stuff.
    You response is the typical "Apple has provided us
    this way to do something and no other way is needed".

    Steve

    Steve de Mena, Dec 5, 2006
  12. Steve Gary

    Rockboy Guest

    Oh, good thing you turned it off then.

    Rockboy, Dec 5, 2006
  13. Thanks, nice response.

    I would think programmers could simplify registry
    entries. For example, a large app might reference
    the full path to itself and DLLs 50-100 times in
    the registry (easy to do in all those CLSID type
    of keys). It would be nice if the path (folder)
    were in a SINGLE entry, and all other references
    referred to that one entry, so you could change
    one key when an app moved. Sort of like
    %SystemRoot% was supposed to work for wherever the
    root of Windows was installed.

    Steve

    Steve de Mena, Dec 5, 2006
  14. In my consulting business, my experience is that all of my
    clients Windows systems (NT 4.0, W2K, and XP) were infested.
    These included the full gamut of web servers, back-office systems,
    desktops, and personal machines, in a variety of settings.
    Some were supposedly under professional systems management.

    Personally, my own Windows NT/2K machines never had any viruses.

    Christopher C. Stacy, Dec 5, 2006
  15. Steve Gary

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    YMMV, but also having made the switch, I don't think the keyboard
    differences were all that great and mainly annoyances until I got over
    old habits. Habitual not functional. Actually the main problem I am
    still having with OSX is remembering all the extra really nifty
    shortcuts that are available.

    Kurt Ullman, Dec 5, 2006
  16. Steve Gary

    Ted Landry Guest

    <
    here is every OSX shortcut:

    http://rixstep.com/2/20040510,00.shtml

    and every Windows shortcut:
    (notice windows only has about 1/3rd as many, what a joke!)

    http://rixstep.com/1/20050421,00.shtml

    Ted Landry, Dec 5, 2006
  17. Steve Gary

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    Thanks. The main problem I am having is that there are TOO many for my
    feeble mind to grab hold of...(g)

    Kurt Ullman, Dec 5, 2006
  18. Steve Gary

    Ted Landry Guest

    untrue you know it.

    if apple was to reintroduce a docking system, it would be an entirely
    new machine AND a dock, so yes if a new machine was to appear mac users
    would be rightfully excited. but apple created excellent docks years ago
    but with the change in people's workstyles today AND wireless, they are
    no longer needed. http://www.macgalerie.de/content/pics/dock_l.jpg

    Ted Landry, Dec 5, 2006
  19. Steve Gary

    Ted Landry Guest

    yeah, i can relate! i use about 10-15 of them, but then run out of brain
    ram :)

    Ted Landry, Dec 5, 2006
  20. Steve Gary

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    For either kind of machine. I traded in my W98 laptop for a new Apple
    MacBook in March. I just disconnected the keyboard, USB mouse and
    Samsung 17 inch monitor, slid out the old laptop, slid in the new,
    plugged things back in, messed around for 5 minutes while I got updated
    drivers for the kb and mouse (d/t being an Intel Mac) and was good to go
    using the new one EXACTLY as I did the old one with nary a docking
    station in sight..

    Kurt Ullman, Dec 5, 2006