    thats it...conks out. What the heck! A friend of mine gave me her
    computer to fix and she will be awful pissed if I broke it.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Skeelo, Jan 21, 2004

  2. was win2k on this machine previously? do you have enough ram or disk space
    (how much do you have)?

    Christopher Muto, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Skeelo

    Jim Kent Guest

    W2K will work just fine on an I7K, except for IDing the internal modem
    for some FAX programs -- but it will still install just fine.

    You might have a bad setup disk. Can you use another?

    Try also running Memtest for a couple of hours to see if there's any
    funky RAM in there. Make sure it has the latest BIOS too. Finally,
    do you delete all existing partitions and recreate/format? Might try
    that too if you haven't.

    Jim Kent, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Skeelo

    Bill Mills Guest

    I have the same problem. Apparently it is a video driver issue with Wind2K.
    You can hook up an external monitor and it will boot all the way with video.
    take off the external monitor and the lcd is back to blank. use Fn F7 to
    toggle between lcd and monitor.

    If you go to the dell support site you will find beta video drivers and an
    install program that is made for the dvd drive, etc. I have not had good
    luck loading this driver. Let me know how you fair.

    Bill Mills

    Bill Mills, Jan 21, 2004
  5. do you have the most recent bios installed?

    Christopher Muto, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Skeelo

    Bill Mills Guest

    Christopher has the right idea, I had bios A10 and upgraded to the latest,
    A15. that solved the video problem with Win2K, thanks Christopher.

    Bill Mills

    Bill Mills, Jan 22, 2004