Windows 7 versions, upgrades, installation options?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Phred, Jan 26, 2010.

  1. Phred

    Phred Guest

    G'day mates,

    I saw some reasonable prices for the assorted Win 7 versions the other
    day and wondered if it's worth buying.

    Questions:

    1. Do the various upgrade versions permit upgrading from XP? If so,
    has anyone who's done it been happy with the result and do they have
    any advice on the process re "gotchas" to avoid?

    2. If upgrading from XP is legit, can it be done on a clean system by
    "showing" the XP CD at the right time, or does it have to be done over
    the installed XP system?

    3. Are there likely to be problems with upgrading from an XP OEM
    product? (Particularly if trying to do it on a clean system using a
    Dell XP installation CD.)

    4. Finally, what features and limitations of the various Win7 versions
    would be important to consider for a single user home network where
    the user is not presently into the "entertainment" side of things, but
    perhaps could be persuaded down the track if it's a Really Good Thing!
    I'm really only wondering here why one would pay nearly twice as much
    for an upgrade to "Professional" or "Ultimate" (which happen to be
    priced the same at the moment) over the cost of "Home Premium". [And,
    if looking at needing the full version (i.e. can't upgrade from XP)
    then the extra cost for the higher versions is about 50% above Home --
    and in this case Ultimate is only marginally dearer than Pro.]

    Thanks for any guidance and advice you can offer.

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Jan 26, 2010

  2. Phred

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Answers in-line

    --

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    There is no direct upgrade from XP. You must do a clean install and
    reinstall your apps.
    There *IS* a way to do a clean install of W7 on a computer with the
    upgrade disk.

    http://mypcassistant.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-install-clean-copy-of-windows-7.html
    Obviously not if you can't "upgrade" it.
    I would say that you want the "Home Premium" version.

    Hank Arnold, Jan 26, 2010

  3. Phred

    Fred Guest

    Just about anybody qualifies for upgrading pricing.
    From WIN7 EULA
    "To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that
    is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of
    the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may
    no longer use the software you upgraded from."

    To upgrade an XP system you would need to select the custom instal option if
    installing over the old OS.
    A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings so
    it will be a "clean" installation.
    You could also use the upgrade 7 media to do a clean instal on a blank hard
    drive if you so desire.
    For most people it just works although if the installer doesn't accept the
    serial number there are simple ways around that detailed here.
    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp
    Shit happens but Microsoft have a Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor trhat can advise
    about some known issues.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en
    The home premium version should suffice.
    Professional adds the possibility to download and run a virtual XP mode
    designed for running legacy business type software. Not designed to run
    intensive games.
    Professional allows the included backup and restore to be used over a
    network if it matters.
    Ultimate adds disc encryption.
    For most people at this stage there isn't a great need to move from XP to 7
    unless it comes with a new pc or you want to satisfy your curiosity.

    Fred, Jan 26, 2010
  4. Phred

    Daddy Guest

    Starting with Windows 7, you can no longer use an upgrade disk on a
    blank hard drive.

    If you want to do a clean install - it's called a 'custom install' in
    Win7 - with an Upgrade disc, you have to boot from the Upgrade disc, and
    use the Upgrade disc to format your hard drive. This allows the Upgrade
    disc to 'see' that you have a qualifying earlier version of Windows
    installed.

    After your hard drive is formatted, you can proceed with installing
    Windows 7 from the Upgrade disc.

    This is now the only *legal* way to do a clean install with an Upgrade disc.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Jan 26, 2010
  5. Phred

    Phred Guest

    G'day Fred, Hank, and others,

    Thanks very much for your comments and advice. If I interpret you all
    correctly:

    a. It is *legal* to use the Win7 upgrade option if you own Win XP.

    b. But you can't "upgrade" over the XP system, you need to do a fresh
    install in that case [done as a "Custom installation"]..

    c. Using a [Dell] XP OEM CD to authenticate your entitlement to the
    upgrade is possible -- there may be "issues", but there are solutions.
    [E.g. see above -- booting from the Win7 upgrade CD solves this?]

    d. You can configure Win7 to run older software (e.g. WinXP programs)
    but NOT run games [or other stuff?] that *requires* XP _per se_.

    e. "Home Premium" will do most things private individuals need, but
    you need "Professional" for those legacy XP (and older?) programs.
    Ultimate adds bugger all for most private users. [As a matter of
    interest, a mate of mine found that Vista is more tolerant of his old
    (Win95 and DOS) Pascal and C programs than XP was.]

    Thanks again for your help.

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Jan 26, 2010
  6. Phred

    Fred Guest

    To reiterate. The Pro and Ultimate versions include the ability to run a
    virtual pc and both versions entitle you to obtain and run a fully licensed
    copy of XP under the virtual pc.
    However the specs of the virtual components aren't equivalent to what you
    have physically installed in your pc.
    e.g. the Graphics card ia a "Virtual PC Integration Component S3 Trio32/64"
    Sound is "Soundblaster 16 or AWE32"
    I presume this allows people to run legacy type office applications on
    Windows 7 that normally refuse to work on Windows7.

    Additionally Windows7 also includes the Compatibility Mode option to run
    programs in compatibility modes for one of 95/98/ME/200/XP/Vista and etc
    OS's if required.
    Yes the older programs I have run fine under Win7 without any intervention
    on my part.
    Many more recent programs have been updated to run better on Vista and 7.

    Also I forgot to mention the Win7 DVD includes an "Easy Transfer Wizard"
    that some might find useful
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-easy-transfer.aspx
    Quote:
    "Moving to a new PC or installing a new operating system on the one you
    have is a lot easier with this tool. Windows Easy Transfer will copy your
    files and settings to an external drive and move them back."

    Fred, Jan 27, 2010
  7. Phred

    Lauren Orda Guest

    Any chance of letting us know where these reasonable priced Win 7s are
    located??
    Thanks
    Lauren

    Lauren Orda, Jan 27, 2010
  8. Phred

    Hank Arnold Guest

    True except for "c.". You don't need the XP CD since you aren't doing a
    "true" upgrade.

    Hank Arnold, Jan 27, 2010
  9. Phred

    davo Guest

    Worth a look

    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

    davo, Jan 27, 2010
  10. Phred

    Phred Guest

    G'day Lauren,

    It was a recent "24-hour special" (in this case, it was a 48-hour
    special because of Oz Day :) offered by:
    <http://www.citysoftware.com.au/Browse/Browse.aspx>
    as one of their recent series of such offers ("Mega Deal of the Day"
    to use their terminology). I don't really know how attractive the
    pricing was ("was" because the deal finished about noon today) but
    they had the Home Premium upgrade at $169 (full version at $265);
    Professional was $329/379; and Ultimate was $329/389. [These prices
    are Australian dollars.]

    In the end I didn't take up the offer -- as someone said in this
    thread, there's really no dire need to upgrade from XP; so I think
    I'll wait until I *need* Win7, and by then I'll probably need a new
    PC too. :) In any case, maybe those prices aren't all that good
    after all? (And, if they are, it's likely they'll be repeated in the
    foreseeable future because CitySoft has done that in the past by
    making a 24-hour offer covering a bunch of stuff they previously
    listed individually.)

    Thanks to all the folk who responded to my request for info and
    guidance, and thanks again to Fred and Hank for their follow-up
    comments. (Especially Fred, for setting out some pretty important
    issues concerning the various versions of Win7.)

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Jan 27, 2010
  11. Phred

    Lauren Orda Guest

    I have a couple of Vista Home Premium Upgrades and am led to believe that
    they qualify for uprade to Win 7 Home Premium. But have no idea what the Win
    7 cost is to enable this.

    Lauren Orda, Jan 27, 2010