    Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <>
    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
    Openoffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

    ErikRS, May 15, 2014

  2. "ErikRS" wrote in message

    You have a Mac. Why in the world would you need Windows?

    Puffin Killer, May 15, 2014

  3. ErikRS

    ErikRS Guest

    Two reasons...
    1. I have some applications that will only run on Windows. Until now
    I've been running XPPro on my other MacPro - also in a VM.
    2. I still test software especially for visually and reading impaired
    that donot run on Mac OS X.

    I know I could buy a cheap Win-box to do the testing, but since I myself
    a.m.o. need to use ZoomView it'll be easier - and cheaper - for me to
    use a VM on the MacPro. - If I should buy a similar enlargement tool for
    Windows, it will be very expensive...

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    ErikRS, May 15, 2014
  4. Two reasons...
    1. I have some applications that will only run on Windows. Until now
    I've been running XPPro on my other MacPro - also in a VM.
    2. I still test software especially for visually and reading impaired
    that donot run on Mac OS X.

    I know I could buy a cheap Win-box to do the testing, but since I myself
    a.m.o. need to use ZoomView it'll be easier - and cheaper - for me to
    use a VM on the MacPro. - If I should buy a similar enlargement tool for
    Windows, it will be very expensive...

    Cheers, Erik Richard[/QUOTE]

    I run Windows 7 in a Parallels VM to web site testing. I test my site
    against Internet Explorer. I've found that I could use Crossover for IE
    7, 8, or 9. So I run the latest release (10?) on Parallels.

    It's a pain firing it up monthly, having to reset my password (it
    automatically expires after 30 days), and update Windows, Adobe, Opera,
    Firefox, and Chrome. The virtual disk has ballooned to 64GB even though
    I regularly defragment and compress it. I think I'm about ready to
    reinstall Windows. The problem is that my codes don't work any more and
    I have to call Microsoft to reauthorize a Windows install. They don't
    seem to understand what Virtual instance and that I bought Windows and
    am re-installing on a VM. Which is weird because M$ partners with
    VMware to sell Windows 2008 Server as their controller. And that's a
    $600 CD.

    Michael Vilain, May 15, 2014
  5. ErikRS

    Paul Sture Guest

    As far as I am aware there is no such thing as "Windows 7 Home Ultimate".
    "Home" is an entry level system, though I think that's only available to
    large OEMs because I've never seen anything less than "Home Premium".

    "Ultimate" is the top of the range for consumers (the only one "above" that
    is "Enterprise" and you probably can't get that unless you are a multi-
    user business). "Ultimate" is the only one out of the Windows 7 consumer
    offerings which has multilingual capability.

    <http://www.windows7.cc/windows-7-features/windows-7-product-editions-comparison-chart/>

    Note that "Home Premium" is crippled in various ways - you can't use Remote
    Desktop into it for example, which means a third party product is needed
    if you want to support family or friends running it remotely.
    Go for the 64-bit version. The only reason to go for the 32 bit version
    is if you want support for older devices which only have 32 bit drivers
    available.

    Here's a tip: Look for the OEM version of Ultimate because it will be a
    lot cheaper.

    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it-ok-to-use-oem-windows-on-your-own-pc-dont-ask-microsoft/1561>

    FWIW my OEM version of Windows 7 Ultimate was something like USD 200 and
    at the time the full retail price in Switzerland was about USD 500; Microsoft
    were price gouging in my country, so it was a no brainer to go the OEM route.

    Paul Sture, May 15, 2014
  6. ErikRS

    Guest

    , May 15, 2014
  7. ErikRS

    ErikRS Guest

    Hm... I was told that the 'Home Ultimate' should be able to switch
    between languages - like OS X - without having to buy extra language
    kits for it. I sometiems will need this feature. - Your link to the
    feature table doesn't say anything about this...
    I have MS Remote Desktop for my XPPro, but have never used it. If a few
    times one of my friends needs to have access to my machine, we're using
    'TeamViewer QuickSupport' (free version) - great little tool for such
    things.
    <http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx>

    I don't need all the multimedia apps either that come along with the
    three biggest versions. - Here Mac + OS X is far, far ahead of Windows -
    any version - except for two apps WinAmp and MiltiMatch Jukebox, but I
    can live with this.:)
    I have thought of that... Here in Denmark prices are even higher. The
    cheapest one here is the 'Home Basic' to a price of apprx. $170-180USd.

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    ErikRS, May 15, 2014
  8. ErikRS

    Paul Sture Guest

    Perhaps the marketing name is different in Denmark. 'Ultimate' is
    the only one (apart from the 'Enterprise') which has multilingual ability.

    I sometiems will need this feature. - Your link to the
    It's in the last table on that page:

    'Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Language Packs'
    Yes, that's the workaround for supporting users with Home Premium.
    Ouch! The 'Home Premium' here is/was(?) more like 120 USD.

    I add the was(?) because I am not sure how easy it is to get Windows 7
    any more. Perhaps they are charging extra for it because Windows 8 is
    now out. Windows 8 Pro comes with multilingual support, though when
    you do an upgrade to 8.1 it dumps you back to one language only, so
    you have to download and install any other language packs you have added
    again.

    Paul Sture, May 15, 2014
  9. ErikRS

    Alan Browne Guest

    The s/w I use under WinXP happens to be 32 bit compatible and does not
    run on Win7-64. So I'd have to use Win7-32 - this may come about some
    day but I'm in no hurry.

    That's what you need to look for - what s/w you'll be running under
    Win7. I believe it has some modes for WinXP or otherwise 32 bit
    programs even if installed as 64... someone will know those details.

    Alan Browne, May 15, 2014
  10. ErikRS

    Paul Sture Guest

    Looks like you didn't write anything...

    Paul Sture, May 15, 2014
  11. ErikRS

    Alan Browne Guest

    I run Windows 7 in a Parallels VM to web site testing. I test my site
    against Internet Explorer. I've found that I could use Crossover for IE
    7, 8, or 9. So I run the latest release (10?) on Parallels.

    It's a pain firing it up monthly, having to reset my password (it
    automatically expires after 30 days), and update Windows, Adobe, Opera,
    Firefox, and Chrome. The virtual disk has ballooned to 64GB even though
    I regularly defragment and compress it. I think I'm about ready to
    reinstall Windows. The problem is that my codes don't work any more and
    I have to call Microsoft to reauthorize a Windows install. They don't
    seem to understand what Virtual instance and that I bought Windows and
    am re-installing on a VM. Which is weird because M$ partners with
    VMware to sell Windows 2008 Server as their controller. And that's a
    $600 CD.[/QUOTE]

    MS has never been known for each finger knowing what each other finger
    is doing.

    Alan Browne, May 15, 2014
  12. ErikRS

    Guest

    Yea. I wanted to postpone, and hit the wrong key.
    News propagation is now so damn fast I couldn't
    cancel before it'd been sent around the world.

    I was going to say a simplified comparison chart is
    here (scroll down a bit)...

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H09C0U2/

    ....along with current USA pricing.

    Billy Y..

    , May 15, 2014
  13. ErikRS

    ErikRS Guest

    Ah, I overlooked that, so it must be either the Enterprise or the
    Ultimate version...
    Denmark is a small market where it's very hard to put presure on a
    reseller to lower pricing. - That's not only on computer stuff, but also
    on digital cameras and accessories.

    Just a small example... I have a Canon EOS 5D Mk II and was looking for
    a prime zoom lens ala EF 24-70mm/f:2.8L II USM or similar. You can find
    this new ver. on eBay.de for less than €1300EUR, apprx. $1780USd- Price
    in Denmark is 14.999Dkr. = $2708USd. And if you can use a used in 'mint
    condition' instead, you can get it as low as apprx. €950EUR on eBay.de.

    I found a review on DPReview with a comparison with another of those I
    had in mind - a Tamron SP A009 28-75mm/f:2,8 Di LD. There was a series
    of +2x10 pictures which I carefully studied and decided to choose the
    one giving the best pictures no matter the price. I chose without
    reading the review first, and to my surprise it was the Tamron 28-75mm
    I've chosen! - Normal Danish stock price was 7995Dkr. = $1443USd, and I
    can add that I'm not the slightest disappointed with the choice... The
    review had only one 'minus' about the Tamron - it is without picture
    stabilization...

    I asked one of my friends who buys and sells a lot of camera equipment
    on the net to find a good one in minimum 'excellent condition'. He found
    a boxed one in the UK for me to a price of $439USd = 2431Dkr. incl.
    shipping. This lens is and looks as if it never has been out of the
    store - i.e. it is totally like new... - The same he did for me with a
    Sigma 17-35mm/f:2,8-4,0 EX-DG HSM, the top model of their wide angle
    lenses. - Boxed 'like new' 2500Dkr. ($451USd) on eBay in the UK. Normal
    stock price in Denmark is 8995Dkr. / $1624USd. New price in the UK are
    apprx. $975-1100USd depending on the store...

    And here we're again back to why I also might have a minor need though
    for Win7. - I have an app on the Canon CD which allows me to directly
    record HD video to disk in Win7 - no Mac version of this app available...

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    ErikRS, May 15, 2014
  14. ErikRS

    Davoud Guest

    Puffin Killer:
    What kind of a question is that? We who run Windows on our Macs do so
    because we need to run software that is not available for the Mac. Got
    it?

    Davoud, May 16, 2014
  15. ErikRS

    Davoud Guest

    ErikRS:
    64-bit Win 7 Pro in Bootcamp, plus Parallels Desktop. Works for me on
    two MacBook Pros.

    Davoud, May 16, 2014
  16. ErikRS

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Google Paralles Desktop 6.x.
    --
    Creationists - get educated before you argue,
    And when you're corrected, try to learn something.

    Creationists only need know that
    Evolution is important proven science
    and
    creation is made up nonsense

    Barry OGrady, May 16, 2014
  17. ErikRS

    Barry OGrady Guest

    I run Windows 7 in a Parallels VM to web site testing. I test my site
    against Internet Explorer. I've found that I could use Crossover for IE
    7, 8, or 9. So I run the latest release (10?) on Parallels.

    It's a pain firing it up monthly, having to reset my password (it
    automatically expires after 30 days), and update Windows, Adobe, Opera,
    Firefox, and Chrome. The virtual disk has ballooned to 64GB even though
    I regularly defragment and compress it. I think I'm about ready to
    reinstall Windows. The problem is that my codes don't work any more and
    I have to call Microsoft to reauthorize a Windows install. They don't
    seem to understand what Virtual instance and that I bought Windows and
    am re-installing on a VM. Which is weird because M$ partners with
    VMware to sell Windows 2008 Server as their controller. And that's a
    $600 CD.[/QUOTE]

    Just buy a valid copy.

    Barry OGrady, May 16, 2014
  18. ErikRS

    Paul Sture Guest

    He's already got a valid copy that he or his employers paid for.

    Money doesn't grow on trees. I had great difficulty reauthorising a copy
    of Windows 8 to work in a different VM because of the obstacles Microsoft
    put in my way.

    Paul Sture, May 16, 2014
  19. ErikRS

    Your Name Guest

    A Google search for "Paralles Desktop" does indeed turn up numerous
    places were people have made that same typo.

    Your Name, May 17, 2014
  20. ErikRS

    Paul Sture Guest

    That's much clearer thanks.