Windows Delayed Write Failed Messages-KT7A RAID v1.3

Discussion in 'Abit' started by knowone, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. knowone

    knowone Guest

    I have a pc with an ABIT KT7A-RAID motherboard. There are 5 hard drives
    attached; one to a regular IDE controller, and four to the Highpoint IDE
    RAID controller. The drives attached to the Highpoint controller are not
    configured for RAID.

    I have two instances of Windows XP pro and one Debian Linux installed to
    separate partitions on the drive attached to a regular IDE controller.
    Each instance of XP can see the other, as well as the other four drives.
    The Linux installation can see all of the other drives.

    When I am using the oldest instance of XP, it frequently gives me this error
    message, as a "balloon tip":
    Windows - Delayed Write Failed
    Windows was unable to save all the data for the file E:. The data has been
    lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or
    network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
    The message gives no name for the file, it just says "E:". Also, it sometimes
    does this when there's nothing accessing the "E:" drive, as far as I can tell.
    The "E:" drive is one of those connected to the Highpoint controller.

    This message never appears when I boot to the newer instance of XP. Running
    chkdsk from either instance of XP shows no errors on the drive, as does
    running fsck when booted into Linux.

    I've googled around, trying to find a solution to this, but none of the
    suggestions I've found helps. I can't even try to disable write caching on
    the drive, because XP sees it as a SCSI device, and that setting is
    greyed-out.

    knowone, Mar 7, 2006

  2. knowone

    Leon Rowell Guest

    I can't help you solve the problem, but I get the same error when I
    remove my Smart Media card after I have had it in the USB card reader
    and transferred the pictures to the hard drive. If I close down the
    Olympus Camedia Master program and leave the card in for a while before
    I take it out I don't get the message.

    Does the message appear at random times or when you shut the computer down?

    It seems like I can remember a couple of posts on an issue like this in
    the past and it had something to do with disk cache or the clearing of
    disk cache.

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Mar 8, 2006