Windows Hangs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paul Baker, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Paul Baker

    Paul Baker Guest

    I have a problem with my system which is some what long winded so my
    apologies in advance for the long post, I do however think that the
    more info you guys have, hopefully the more chance I have of solving
    this.

    I was having a problem in my previously stable for 3 years system, in
    that my windows registry was corrupting to such an extent that windows
    would not start at all and the only solution was to re-install. Having
    done this a few times I decided that it was about time I upgraded some
    components anyway, hoping this would silve the problem.

    I therefore bought a new hard drive, CPU and motherboard. This is
    where the real fun and games started. After installing the new Mobo
    and CPU I decided that I might as well start with a clean install of
    XP. I therefore formatted the new hard drive from the recovery
    console, and booted up set-up from the XP upgrade disk.

    When I tried to write the NTFS format to the disk I kept getting the
    same response, that the disk may be damaged and it could not be
    formatted. I therefore returned it for a new one, same response on the
    new disk though. It would however let me write as FAT32. I therefore
    did this and started the set up. After XP saved all of the info to
    disk ready for installing it re-boots and I would get the blue screen
    of death. "Windows had to be shut down to prevent damage to your
    hardware", Stop Error 0X0000007E followed by a raft of numbers.

    This went on for a number of hours whilst I tweaked bios. Eventually,
    after resetting the processor speeds in BIOS I got the system running
    again. I was then also able to format the disk as NTFS. I now have XP
    up and running but it's not stable. It freezes once or twice each
    night when doing different things, i.e. once when booting, once when
    inserting a CD-ROM. I have checked the system logs and there are no
    errors reported.

    At first I was running the system on minimal hardware, but have now
    started to add bits back in as the system wasn't stable without them
    so I figured what the hell. I have now been running various tests to
    see if I can isolate the problem. I ran Memtest 86 from a boot disk
    for 3 ½ hours, 7 passes, with no errors. I've also run a diagnostic on
    the hard drive. Last night I ran Hot CPU Tester Diagnostic for 3 ½
    hours, 7 runs) and again no problems were found. Both Board and CPU
    Temps are acceptable (45C under load). The power supply is steady, no
    spikes, and all within set parameters on asus probe.

    I know that I am not running the most up to date BIOS but I have read
    about problems with some of the updates. Having reviewed the changes
    in the bios updates there also appears nothing of real relevance in
    there. I am however running the most up to date VIA 4 in 1 Drivers.

    If anyone has any ideas of what I can try next I'd be very grateful
    because eventually I want the system to start running games and video
    editing again and therefore it must be stable. Not to mention that
    this intermitent problem is driving me insane. My system spec is as
    follows:-

    Asus A7V8X-X
    AMD 2500+ Barton Core
    Samsung 80 Gig 2 MB Cache 7200 – Primary Drive
    Seagate Barracuda 80 Gig 7200 – Secondary Drive (for photo's, Video,
    Etc.)
    2 x Crucial P2100, 256 DDR, 266 Mhz CL2.5;
    1 x Crucial P2100, 512 DDR 266 Mhz (Not currently in system though)
    Enermax EG365P-VE 350W Power Supply
    Crucial ATI Radeon 8500LE 128M DDR 4xAGP
    Hecules Fortisimo III 7.1 Sound Card
    Bios Ver 1006 – Set up as follows – CPU Speed [Manual]; Freq. Multiple
    [11X]; External Frequency [133/33]; Mem Freq [Auto]
    Sagem F@st 800 USB Modem for broadband
    Windows XP Home SP1 Upgrade (clean install) All critical & Driver
    updates installed

    Also - I've never overclocked. Once again, apologies for the huge post
    and thanks for any suggestions.

    Paul.

    Paul Baker, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Paul Baker

    Dave C. Guest

    All of your symptoms point to a bad power supply. Good luck, -Dave

    Dave C., Feb 5, 2004

  3. Paul Baker

    DaveW Guest

    I know what you said about the MemTest results. But a year ago I had the
    same symptoms in my machine and it turned out that the motherboard's chipset
    was giving memory timing errors. So I'm betting that your motherboard is on
    its way out.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Paul Baker

    KC Computers Guest

    When I tried to write the NTFS format to the disk I kept getting the
    Try it with one memory module installed to see what happens.
    One could be flakey even if it passes a memory test.

    KC Computers, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Paul Baker

    somebody Guest

    No they don't.
    If there's anything symptomatic about it at all, it's software.

    -------------

    Paul, First of all: Are you now running on an install, that was made
    during bios cpu settings, that WinXP refused to accept?

    What were those settings and what are they now? cpu and memory
    timings?

    Is the problem exactly the same as before the hardware upgrade?
    Do you have an up to date virus checker?

    What software package did you install, shortly before all this
    started?

    Here's a few thing you can try just for the hell of it, (meaning I
    don't expect much from it):

    Remove your ATI driver and run on generic VGA for a while, just to see
    if the problem persists.

    Exchange your ram modules (noticed you've only got one in the box,
    good thinking).

    Lower memory settings.

    ancra

    somebody, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Paul Baker

    Sid Mack Guest

    If your mouse moves and your buttons and icons don't work then the problem
    is definitely the video card. Test it by swapping cards if you have one.
    Before you buy a new card, check the manufacturer's site for the latest
    video driver. The driver that you have may not be compatible with XP-NTSF.
    Sid

    Sid Mack, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Agreed. Is the output power of your energy font enough? The processor
    would be the main suspect, but you said that is new...
    Try to put all the hardware acceleration (graphics, etc) to the lowest
    level, and check the system. Then try to speed up slowly, and see what
    happens. Hope I've helped.

    Ivan Paganini, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Paul Baker

    Dave C. Guest

    3 year old system, problems with fresh install of xp, problems with no
    software installed, runs better after slowing down the CPU, but random
    reboots still . . . and you think it's software?

    Well, that's one theory I guess, but I'd be shocked if you are right on
    that. -Dave

    Dave C., Feb 6, 2004
  9. Paul Baker

    Paul Baker Guest

    Thanks for the replies already. Judging by the responses this isn't goiing
    to solve itself quickly. Anyway....
    No - Windows would not install at all until I entered the settings on my
    original post.
    The non-functioning setting were any combination other than those I have
    now. If I alter anything it won't even get past bios, funny thing is, the
    monitor goes on stand by as if the PC is not switched on. I have to re-boot
    and go into bios straight from the Beep to make it work again.
    No - before the PC would function fine for about 5 or 6 days, then the
    registry would just go berserk and that was that. Now it just hangs every
    now and again. Having said that, it has only been up and running for about 6
    days and not been put under any great load yet.

    I was running Norton Antivirus 2003 - Totally up to date.
    None. Hadn't installed anything for a while.
    I'll give this a go.
    When you say "exchange" I take it you mean swap them about. This was one of
    the first things I did, I have run on 1, 2 together, all 3 - basically all
    combinations with pretty much the same results.
    Will Try. - Do you think it's worth forking out for a new power supply as
    some have suggested, mine is 3 years old after all. If so which one, and how
    powerfull bearing in mind my system?

    Thanks again guys.

    Paul Baker, Feb 6, 2004
  10. Paul Baker

    somebody Guest

    Yes. I understand your logic. And 'software' problem can always be
    hardware induced.

    But if you read his post carefully, you see "registry corruption", and
    that he never installed XP fresh on old hardware. And that he
    introduced something new, with a problematic bios config and failed
    install, on the new system. My take is that it's not the same problem
    as before. And that he now has a problem with the new install.

    ancra

    somebody, Feb 7, 2004
  11. Paul Baker

    Dave C. Guest

    Yikes, what a mess. -Dave

    Dave C., Feb 7, 2004
  12. Paul Baker

    somebody Guest

    Oop! This sound like a video problem. Maybe you should try a different
    videocard. ATI has a long track record of... eer, problems. Your new
    mobo may not like your videocard? That's all I have to suggest for
    now. Pity, if it's that, because 8500 is a nice old card.

    I see you're underclocking your CPU.

    Have you looked over your agp setting?
    Similarly, what is your agp aperture? There is sometimes problems if
    it's larger than 64MB, and you do _not_ get better performance by
    having it bigger (current games & hardware).
    DaveC, always, on princip, suggests the power supply. ;-)
    He's right some of the time, of course, and in the end you may have to
    try that, but I'd still like to exhaust a few other things first. My
    fav target for now, is the ATI8500LE - KT400 compatibility.

    I think your mobo has onboard sound? I'm sorry for this 'idiot test',
    but you did disable onboard sound in bios? Before installing Windows?
    And you didn't install any sound drivers from mobo driver kit, right?

    Oh, and here's a crazy solution, that has worked out video problems in
    the past. Install DX9 _before_ video drivers. Sounds all wrong, I
    know, but if it works, it works.

    ancra

    somebody, Feb 8, 2004
  13. Paul Baker

    Paul Baker Guest

    Snip -

    I never fail to be amazed at the time "comp people" take out to help
    others! Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Is this likely to make windows hang - I had another over the weekend
    when I got to the welcome screen. Re-booted using the reset switch and
    then fine for the rest of the weekend - Strangely, I didn't get any of
    the usual "windows detected... not shut down properly; or windows did
    not load properly last time... screens" - Bizarre!
    Yeah, that's the only way I can get the CPU to talk to the memory at
    the moment. Will need to upgrade memory shortly to 333.
    I looked at this one first off - AGP is currently set to 64MB and
    4XAGP (is this right or should it be 32 with a 128 MB card)?
    No, I did it after I installed windows, but before I put my soundcard
    back in the machine and before I loaded up the drivers for my
    Hercules.
    No - didn't even load the CD up. Already had the most recent 4 in 1
    VIA Drivers off the web.
    Wow! never heard that one before. I'm currently running on 8.1 as I
    have no software, games, etc installed that would need anything more
    than this. Will try this tonight though. Should be fun.

    Thanks again,

    Paul.

    Paul Baker, Feb 9, 2004