    HerrBergh Guest

    Is it possible to install WHS on a PE2300?

    I'm always get "Could not initialize UI subsystem"

    HerrBergh, Dec 25, 2007

  2. What kind of hard drives? Are they set up as RAID? You might have to get
    the drivers onto a floppy and load them when prompted during the install.

    --

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold (MVP), Dec 25, 2007

  3. HerrBergh

    HerrBergh Guest

    Only one scsi drive (250GB IDE using Acard SCSI - IDE Bridge,
    AEC-7720UW)
    So i'm using the built in scsi card. (no backplane or so...)

    I have never been asked to insert any floppy with driver.
    The install only goes to 5 or 6 dots and then the "Could not
    initialize UI subsystem" pops up.

    I'm using the WHS 120-day evaluation kit.

    (XP,W2k and W2k3 server installs just fine)

    HerrBergh, Dec 25, 2007
  4. HerrBergh

    joe_tide Guest

    Have you verified the image burn?

    joe_tide, Dec 25, 2007
  5. HerrBergh

    ScoobyDoo Guest

    Don't think thats possible, I bought these DVD/CDs from Microsoft.
    So no downloaded image here, just original Microsoft DVD/CDs.

    ScoobyDoo, Dec 25, 2007
  6. HerrBergh

    joe_tide Guest

    There seems to be a lot of chatter about the problem if you Google it.
    I don't see many, if any, solutions though.

    joe_tide, Dec 25, 2007
  7. HerrBergh

    ScoobyDoo Guest

    Have you verified the image burn?
    No solutions to this problem....

    Maybe its time to move over to Linux instead of Microsoft...

    ScoobyDoo, Dec 27, 2007
  8. HerrBergh

    Bruce Varney Guest

    I see you are using a 250GB IDE drive, I believe that the bios is set for
    using only scsi drives?

    Bruce Varney, Dec 27, 2007
  9. HerrBergh

    ScoobyDoo Guest

    There is no IDE interface built in to this computer Dell PowerEdge
    2300!

    A 250GB IDE drive is used with a ACARD SCSI-IDE Bridge (AEC-7720UW, A
    general purpose SCSI-to-IDE device converter).
    So it's connected to the scsi interface and is acting like a scsi hdd.
    More info on this link
    http://www.acard.com/english/fb0101.jsp?type1_title=SCSIDE Bridge&type1_idno=2

    (Works great with all OS that i have been able to install on this
    computer)

    ScoobyDoo, Dec 27, 2007
  10. HerrBergh

    Bruce Varney Guest

    Ok that makes more sense. I have installed Win 98, Win Back Office and Win
    XP Pro by dual booting and have had no problems in loading any of these OS.

    As a trial could you install Win 98 and then install Win Home Server and
    dual boot.

    Bruce Varney, Dec 27, 2007
  11. HerrBergh

    ScoobyDoo Guest

    Windows Home Server won't let you dual boot, the install will wipe all
    your connected hdd.

    The problem is that WHS install hangs. "Could not initialize UI
    subsystem"
    I think that has something to do with the WinPE Boot.

    I have tried to install on another computer and move the hdd back to
    my PE2300.
    When i do so i get a BSOD and a reboot, so that doesn't help (Someone
    told me that could be a way round the problem).

    ScoobyDoo, Dec 27, 2007
  12. HerrBergh

    Bruce Varney Guest

    Have you tried loading Home Server on a SCSI HD?

    Bruce Varney, Dec 27, 2007
  13. HerrBergh

    ScoobyDoo Guest

    Yes, I have tried with a "real" scsi hdd, same result.

    ScoobyDoo, Dec 27, 2007
  14. HerrBergh

    Bruce Varney Guest

    Bruce Varney, Dec 27, 2007