Windows ME not detecting 60 gig western digital hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joe, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    ok......i recently aquired this 60 gig WD hard drive from my buddy. He
    built a new computer and no longer needed it. I installed it to my
    hewlett packard piece of crap pavilion and usually with a new hard
    drive you would just plug it in and it would detect it in my computer.
    It doesnt display that the drive is even there. I tried to install
    it manually through the add hardware wizard but i can never find
    straight up drivers for it. I have looked through the bios and the
    bios detects it as slave which is correct for the setup i have
    currently in place. I have tried hooking the hard drive up as master
    and disconnecting my normal hard drive and trying to install windows
    on it to at least get it running but when i do so it will tell me
    first that the disk is not initialized and that it could not format.
    I have no idea what to do....Someone please save me.

    system config
    Hp Pavillion 7850
    Pentium 3 933mhz
    Maxtor 40 gig
    Voodoo 5 gphx card
    Soundblaster audigy mp3+
    384 mb pc133 ram

    Joe, Jul 15, 2004

  2. Joe

    Tom Guest

    Hi

    is the drive showing in Device Manager, or just not in My Computer?

    if its showing in Device Manager you just need to parition the disk
    using fdisk. remove all the partitions and create a new one. type
    fdisk from an MS-DOS prompt either in Windows or DOS. ensure you
    select the correct hdd by selecting it under option 5. then re-boot
    and format the partition.

    Tom, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Joe

    Bill Guest

    Joe, O/S not mention but, Disk not Initialized indicates XP.

    If drive had NTFS file system installed on it win9x will not see drive.

    If drive has DDO on it XP nor 9x may see it.

    Try to fdisk drive in DOS. See what type partitions are installed.

    If you are using 9x delete all partitions -> create extended partition
    and format in windows.

    If you are using XP, again delete all partitions, reboot to windows.
    Go to control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Managment/
    Storage/disk management. In right pane, right click Drive 1 (new drive)
    left click initialize/ again to create extended drive ->
    then create logical drives and format.

    Post via e-mail if you need more assistance.

    Bill, Jul 15, 2004