    I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 and also a Dell Desktop 2400.

    Your opinions on these media players, please.

    Mel

    MZB, Dec 12, 2005

  2. MZB

    Tom Scales Guest

    One of the first things I uninstall.

    Tom Scales, Dec 12, 2005

  3. MZB

    Pud Knocker Guest

    Real Player is known for being loaded with spyware and crap. There are not
    too many videos on the internet that are available to view only using Real
    Player. I deleted my Real Player, and I haven't missed much.

    Pud Knocker, Dec 13, 2005
  4. MZB

    nb Guest

    If you don't use Real Player and are annoyed by the update notification,
    just uninstall it.

    nb, Dec 13, 2005
  5. MZB

    Brian K Guest

    Uninstall it.

    Brian K, Dec 13, 2005
  6. MZB

    S.Lewis Guest

    Uninstall it. You could then (only when needed) download a version of
    RealPlayer 10 basic, but not until you need it. I only have RP on my system
    for the few streaming audio or audio clips links that require it. Otherwise,
    I prefer Media Player.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 13, 2005
  7. MZB

    Hans S Guest

    And even then you should not use it ;-)

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

    Hans S, Dec 13, 2005
  8. MZB

    MZB Guest

    Thanks for all the comments.
    I just checked my Startup menu and found that real player was checked. I
    unchecked that, so it should eliminate the problem without having to
    uninstall it... I assume?

    Mel

    MZB, Dec 13, 2005
  9. MZB

    S.Lewis Guest

    Perhaps or at least temporarily. (Apple) QuickTime does this: you disable
    it from system startup, but once you use QT for some clip it re-enables at
    the next boot.

    Take your pick.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 13, 2005
  10. MZB

    MZB Guest

    Stew:

    I bet that's how it got checked then.

    When I frst got my Dell, I looked through the Startup and unchecked a bunch
    of stuff. I probably did uncheck it, and it got re-checked... perhaps.

    Mel

    MZB, Dec 13, 2005
  11. MZB

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Uninstall it anyway... RP has a nasty habit of re-enabling itself. Also,
    other "features" may still be active.

    Hank Arnold, Dec 14, 2005
  12. MZB

    Doug White Guest

    The constant update requests are not a problem, because I have a decent
    firewall (unlike Microsoft's) that monitors OUTGOING traffic. I just
    told it not to let Realplayer talk to the 'Net. End of problem. If
    RealPlayer can't access the 'Net, it assumes you aren't online & doesn't
    pester you.

    Doug White

    Doug White, Dec 16, 2005
  13. MZB

    History Fan Guest

    I have RealPlayer installed because many websites require it to play
    their multimedia files. I have all the options unchecked inside Real's
    Message Center, and never get any pop-ups from the program.

    I had no problems with WMP 9. However, when I upgraded to WMP 10, I
    noticed that video files were not playing at their regular size. The window
    is always about 60% as big as it should be. Resizing the window is only a
    temporary solution. The next time I close and re-open WMP 10, video files
    are again displayed too small. This annoyed me so much I configured
    RealPlayer to handle avi's and mpeg files, which displays the video clips
    properly.

    History Fan, Dec 16, 2005