Windows Registration and Stolen Laptops

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by NYC XYZ, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Hi, All:

    Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
    burglarized. =(

    I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
    password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
    passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically anyway,
    for MS to match up their records?

    I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
    machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
    course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately unique
    for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's concerned....

    Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether it's
    possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether WinXP
    Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to ever
    see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
    least!), but I was curious....

    TIA

    NYC XYZ, Jan 30, 2005

  2. NYC XYZ

    infospy Guest

    Sorry to hear of your bad luck but if they know anything about the sys they
    have already gotten into the machine and are using it with out any problems.
    Most likely sold it for the bucks to other stuff.

    infospy, Jan 30, 2005

  3. NYC XYZ

    J. Clarke Guest

    Depends. Some need to have chips replaced if you don't know the passwords.
    Of course sometimes you get the last laugh. Somebody stole one of mine out
    of the car the day _after_ it died the death.

    J. Clarke, Jan 30, 2005
  4. NYC XYZ

    Conor Guest

    Windows XP registration cannot help you. Not only are you not required
    to give them any details such as name/address but there is no useable
    info sent to them.

    Conor, Jan 30, 2005
  5. NYC XYZ

    Donduk Guest

    Your machine is gone. By a new MAC.

    Donduk, Jan 30, 2005
  6. NYC XYZ

    bobb Guest

    Hang around. There are always people here posting "My friends gave me
    this laptop and now retired to Catmandu" or "The ex-employee left us
    with a password-protected laptop." and all kind of stories. He may
    show his face here!

    bobb, Jan 30, 2005
  7. Yes you can. It is almost child's play to delete the Administrator (or any
    other) password.

    Ian.

    Electrick Fan Club, Jan 31, 2005
  8. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    If then.

    NYC XYZ, Feb 1, 2005
  9. NYC XYZ

    Tyrone Guest

    If then?

    Tyrone, Feb 2, 2005
  10. Else.

    Kamalabuddhi Sreenivasa, Feb 2, 2005
  11. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    What?

    NYC XYZ, Feb 3, 2005
  12. NYC XYZ

    Mike Z. Helm Guest

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:58:47 +0545 (UTC), Kamalabuddhi Sreenivasa
    fi

    Mike Z. Helm, Feb 3, 2005
  13. NYC XYZ

    relic Guest

    No one knows. You clipped everything.

    relic, Feb 3, 2005
  14. There are no second prizes, snotfuck.

    Eljah Neustadt, Feb 3, 2005
  15. NYC XYZ

    Mr Floppy Guest

    Else if?

    Mr Floppy, Feb 4, 2005
  16. There are no second prizes. Congratulations. You win third prize.

    Ezekiel Golembo, Feb 4, 2005
  17. NYC XYZ

    Mr Floppy Guest

    Do i win a trip to drop my dog and wife off at relics place?

    Mr Floppy, Feb 4, 2005
  18. NYC XYZ

    Jubal Neiman Guest

    Jubal Neiman, Feb 4, 2005
  19. NYC XYZ

    Mr Floppy Guest

    Mr Floppy, Feb 4, 2005
  20. NYC XYZ

    Abe Levy Guest

    Sure, but the muzzle is wet with drool and the sticky side of the duct tape
    is covered in gerbil fur.

    Abe Levy, Feb 4, 2005