Windows System Error - A duplicate name exists on the network

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Susan Sifton, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. Susan Sifton

    Susan Sifton Guest

    I found this out the hard way.

    When you see this WinXP error message:
    * Windows System Error - A duplicate name exists on the network.

    If you indeed have two computers with the same computer name,
    then the solution should be obvious.

    But, if you don't have two computers with the same computer name,
    then, read the Microsoft knowledge base (KB) 822659 article:
    * <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822659>

    Which says, in part:
    * This problem may be caused by a NetBIOS name conflict
    * between the workstation and either another workstation
    * with the same NetBIOS name, or a workgroup or domain
    * with the same NetBIOS name as the workstation.

    The non-obvious solution in my two-computer home network:
    * Ensure no computer names match any workgroup names!

    Susan Sifton

    Susan Sifton, Apr 25, 2005