    Why is Windows Update failing?

    Thanks for any information.

    John

    John Blaustein, Aug 17, 2004

  2. John Blaustein

    Hawkeye Guest

    Using windows update for your driver updates is a bad idea.

    Go to manufacturer of your hardwares home page and get driver updates
    there.

    Hawkeye, Aug 17, 2004

  3. John Blaustein

    Ed Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:22:55 -0700, "John Blaustein" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a P4P800-E Deluxe board, running Windows XP Home. When running
    >Windows Update, it tells me to update my network driver. When I run the
    >update, it fails.
    >
    >The update is for: "Marvell Semiconductor - Networking - Marvell Yukon
    >88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
    >
    >Looking at Device Mgr, it says I have a Marvell driver 6.36.0.0, 10/2/03.
    >
    >Why is Windows Update failing?
    >
    >Thanks for any information.
    >
    >John

    IME Windows Update uses outdated drivers and causes more problems then
    it fixes. I would suggest you download driver updates directly from the
    manufactures web site (or Asus if that is not an option) and
    update/install them yourself.

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Hawkeye and Ed,

    Thank you.

    Looking at the ASUS Web site, it look like I have the latest driver already,
    so I will leave things as they are. In fact, the driver I have is a later
    version than the one ASUS lists as the latest. ASUS lists 6.28 as the
    latest driver, and I have 6.36.

    I wonder why Windows Update all of a sudden thinks I need a new driver?

    John

    John Blaustein, Aug 17, 2004
  5. John Blaustein

    Ed Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:02:07 -0700, "John Blaustein" <>
    wrote:

    >Hawkeye and Ed,
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >Looking at the ASUS Web site, it look like I have the latest driver already,
    >so I will leave things as they are. In fact, the driver I have is a later
    >version than the one ASUS lists as the latest. ASUS lists 6.28 as the
    >latest driver, and I have 6.36.
    >
    >I wonder why Windows Update all of a sudden thinks I need a new driver?
    >
    >John

    Only thing I can think of is the drivers aren't WHQL certified by MS or
    MS is way behind on updates, I pick the later. ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 17, 2004
  6. John Blaustein

    Minh Tran-Le Guest

    John Blaustein wrote:
    > I have a P4P800-E Deluxe board, running Windows XP Home. When running
    > Windows Update, it tells me to update my network driver. When I run the
    > update, it fails.
    >
    > The update is for: "Marvell Semiconductor - Networking - Marvell Yukon
    > 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
    >
    > Looking at Device Mgr, it says I have a Marvell driver 6.36.0.0, 10/2/03.
    >
    > Why is Windows Update failing?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.
    >
    > John

    You can find the latest Intel PRO2KXP.exe (version 9.0 7/27/2004) on the
    Intel website. Just go to http://www.intel.com and search for "pro2kxp
    driver".

    Minh Tran-Le, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Minh,

    My mobo is ASUS and the onboard network controller is Marvell Yukon, so I'm
    not sure why you are suggesting an Intel driver.

    In any case, it's working fine, so I see no need to update. I was just
    curious why Windows Update was suggesting a new driver and why the install
    failed when ran the update. I think Ed answered my questions.

    John

    John Blaustein, Aug 17, 2004
  8. John Blaustein

    Dick Guest

    The same thing happened to me on my P4P800se when I ran the Windows
    Update. After installing SP2 Windows Update no longer suggests I update
    my LAN drivers.

    Dick

    Dick, Aug 17, 2004
  9. John Blaustein

    Alex Guest

    I once broke a computer's sound by downloading the "latest driver" from
    Windows update.
    Windows update for system patches... Yes, but No for driver updates.

    Alex.

    Alex, Aug 18, 2004
  10. John Blaustein

    Tas Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:08:30 +0100, "Alex" <@> wrote:

    >I once broke a computer's sound by downloading the "latest driver" from
    >Windows update.
    >Windows update for system patches... Yes, but No for driver updates.

    It says there's an updated nVidia driver available for my graphics card. BUT, I
    have the latest drivers installed and they're telling me something from last
    November is 'newer' than the one I have, LOL.

    Tas, Aug 18, 2004
  11. John Blaustein

    Minh Tran-Le Guest

    Sorry I had it confused with the 1GB Ethernet from the P4C800-E which
    was made by Intel. The P4P800-E is made by 3COM.

    But if your network connection is working fine, I would suggest just to
    ignore and hide the device driver update that shows up on WindowsUpdate.
    The update that show up there is usually because the manufacturer has
    submitted them for Window certification and they are usually older than
    what you got from the website or even the cd version.

    Minh Tran-Le, Aug 18, 2004
  12. Yes, the network connection is working fine.

    From now on, I will ignore Windows Update driver prompts and check the
    vendor Web site instead.

    Thanks to everyone for the information and advice.

    John Blaustein, Aug 18, 2004
  13. YOU can stop the auto-update with a setting in the explorer setup. SOmetimes
    driver updates fail if you do not delete the device first and then let XP
    find it as new hardware. SOmetimes if its an add-on board to clear up
    errors you have have to remove it, reboot, shutdown then reinstall it.
    DOn't ask me why cause I don't know. All I know is that sometimes its
    necessary to clean up everything you can think of and start from as clean a
    system as you can get. I just had a sound card that required all that to get
    it going properly.

    notritenoteri, Aug 18, 2004
  14. John Blaustein

    Luthfi Arsil Guest

    John, come on, don't give up..! just click this reference
    http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?dId=101&pId=3 then you
    will be able to update your Yukon Marvell. I'm sure the Windows won't
    ask you anymore to update it.

    Luthfi Arsil, Sep 10, 2004
  15. John Blaustein

    Noozer Guest

    > > > I have a P4P800-E Deluxe board, running Windows XP Home. When running
    > > > Windows Update, it tells me to update my network driver. When I run

    the
    > > > update, it fails.
    > > >
    > > > The update is for: "Marvell Semiconductor - Networking - Marvell Yukon
    > > > 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
    > > >
    > > > Looking at Device Mgr, it says I have a Marvell driver 6.36.0.0,

    10/2/03.

    > > > Why is Windows Update failing?

    More importantly, why do you want an out of date driver?

    If it's that important, go to the manufacturers site for driver updates!
    Never trust the ones at WU.

    Noozer, Sep 10, 2004