Windows Vista Express Upgrade without Microsoft COA?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by David Arnstein, Feb 27, 2007.

  1. I recently installed a Dell XPS710. I would like to obtain the
    Microsoft Vista software upgrade from Dell. I used the Dell web pile
    to initiate this request. I was presented with an HTML form that asked
    for the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for the PC.

    My issue is that the COA is, apparently, printed on a tag that is
    attached to the computer. This computer is large and heavy, and moving
    it now would be a knuckle-busting job for me.

    I am looking for workarounds:

    1. Is the COA printed somewhere in the paper materials that Dell sent
    with the computer?

    2. Can I query the COA from the PC while it is running Windows XP?

    3. Is there a way to obtain the Vista upgrade from Dell without
    providing a COA?

    Failing the above,

    4. Where exactly is the COA tag located on my XPS 710? Perhaps I can
    spy it with a small mirror and flashlight.

    Thanks for any suggestions!
    I did manage to write down the express service code and the service
    tag of the computer.

    David Arnstein, Feb 27, 2007

  2. The location varies, but there is probably no workaround.

    When I did my Toshiba Express Upgrade, the number that they wanted was
    NOT the product key (e.g. not the 25-character string), but rather
    another number printed on the COA. What's best would be to take a
    digital photo of the COA (clear enough to read) and save that on the
    computer as a JPEG file.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 27, 2007

  3. David Arnstein

    HDRDTD Guest

    Look on the PC for the Microsoft sticker that has the Windows install code
    on it.

    The code the web site is asking for is on the same tag, but it is NOT the
    25character install code. It's another code number on the same tag.

    HDRDTD, Feb 27, 2007
  4. David Arnstein

    Ozark58 Guest

    The Dell Tag number is sometimes visible from the BIOS update page. Hit F2
    when first booting up the Dell computer and this will take you into BIOS
    update page.

    If the Dell Tag number is actually on the BIOS page, you can also view it
    by using a free utility called Belarc Advisor.

    Legally download Belarc Advisor free from here:

    The Dell Tag number is usually pasted on the top of the computer near the
    front cover, but I've also seen them pasted on the either side of the
    computer case and on the back side of the older computers.

    Ozark58, Feb 27, 2007
  5. David Arnstein

    hdrdtd Guest

    That's true, but that's not the number Dell is asking for in the OP's
    original question.

    When you enter your information to apply for the Vista upgrade, Dell is
    asking for a string of numbers that is on the Microsoft COA tag, but is a
    seperate number than the Microsoft Product Key.

    hdrdtd, Feb 27, 2007
  6. David Arnstein

    Ork . Guest

    Ork ., Feb 28, 2007