    Vista promises.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/business/09digi.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 9, 2008

  2. Ben Myers

    Tom Scales Guest

    If you read the article, you really need to click on the PDF that
    contains the emails. They're stunning.

    Assuming the fix isn't in and it stays a class action, MS is going to
    get their asses kicked. Intel's not in much better a position with the
    whole GMA900/915 fiasco.

    UGLY.

    I'm still fussing with corporate IT about Vista. Don't need it, don't
    want it.

    Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2008

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    The PDF with the Microsoft response to the lawsuit is masterful in its
    obfuscation. Now I know what is really taught to people in law schools and how
    these white shoe lawyers get their $1000/hr.

    It will be hard for anyone to put in the fix on a civil action. Criminal
    actions are different, as the DOJ in the last 7+ years has had a remarkably
    charitable view of corporate malfeasance, which is surely one interpretation of
    the internal Microsoft emails. Betcha Microsoft won't interpret them that way.
    But WOW! Talk about smoking guns! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 10, 2008
  4. Ben Myers

    Rich Guest

    Engadget.com has/had the link where you could download as PDF all 150 some
    pages of the case that the judge unsealed.

    Rich

    Rich, Mar 10, 2008
  5. Ben Myers

    RnR Guest

    Why does IT want it ?

    RnR, Mar 10, 2008
  6. Ben Myers

    Tom Scales Guest

    Because Microsoft has announced that XP will not be available to system
    builders after January 2009 and is already out of the retail space
    (officially).

    Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2008
  7. Ben Myers

    Journey Guest

    Vista doesn't seem to offer ANY real advantage to a corporation, at
    least I can't think of any. If a large business was forced to go
    through a costly upgrade for little benefit then I think they may have
    a case. I don't feel like getting too analytical about it with
    details tonight though :)

    Journey, Mar 10, 2008
  8. Ben Myers

    Journey Guest

    Smart corporations will hold off on a Vista upgrade. The cost of an
    upgrade is major in terms of money and an organization's talent, with
    no benefit at all from Vista.

    Journey, Mar 10, 2008
  9. Ben Myers

    Journey Guest

    BINGO -- that is the basis for lawsuits. MS is forcing upgrades for
    no benefit.

    Too bad it won't end like Arther Anderson and Enron. MS will come out
    unscathed for the most part and continue to make billions from its
    hostage customer base.

    Journey, Mar 10, 2008
  10. Ben Myers

    Doug Guest

    | NY Times, a newspaper known for striving to provide unbiased and factual
    news reporting,
    | unlike others that masquerade as news media while advancing a heavy
    political
    | agenda.

    ^ That part is supposed to be a joke? Right? Just checking.

    Doug, Mar 10, 2008
  11. Ben Myers

    Tom Scales Guest

    The problem is MS. What do I do come 1/1/09 when I can only purchase
    Vista machines. The cost of a dual XP/Vista shop with 15,000 wildly
    geographically dispersed PCs is horrendous.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2008
  12. Ben Myers

    RnR Guest

    I guess a valid point because of the corporate way of thinking.
    Personally I do my own support so I could care less about MS support
    due to patches, etc.. and had one system that for at least 2 years or
    more, not patched or upgraded by MS and it ran fine. Personally I
    like it better this way for several reasons. I don't expect the
    conservative corporate way of thinking to agree with me tho. I could
    see where you would have a tough time making corporate people agree
    with you (but I do) .

    RnR, Mar 10, 2008
  13. Ben Myers

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yeah. I was looking for the grin or smiley and didn't see one. I'm hoping it
    was implied.

    S.Lewis, Mar 10, 2008
  14. Ben Myers

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Probably better to go to dual XP/Linux

    Do the conversion to something that's not insane, as long as you're
    doing a conversion, and be done with it.

    Ron Hardin, Mar 10, 2008
  15. Ben Myers

    Bob Levine Guest

    The whole thing makes me wonder why in world anyone runs out to buy a
    new operating system.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Mar 10, 2008
  16. Ben Myers

    Bob Levine Guest

    So is Apple...and they didn't even give users a choice for one day.
    Leopard came out and Tiger was pulled from the shelves and new systems.

    You can't even buy a refurb Mac with Tiger on it.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Mar 10, 2008
  17. Ben Myers

    Jim Higgins Guest

    I'll grant that the "Gray Lady" got it right this time, but only
    because it's a technology piece rather than politics. If you think
    the NYT is politically unbiased you haven't read it in a while!!!!
    Gotta love it. I hope MS has to buy every darn one of the parties to
    the suit a fully Vista capable computer.

    Jim Higgins, Mar 10, 2008
  18. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Between now and 1/1/09, you need to hope that Microsoft will cave in to
    unstoppable pressure from this lawsuit and public opinion, and announce a
    reasonable extension period beyond 1/1/09, there by making XP it's most wildly
    successful operating system ever. At this point, I think the Queen Mary can be
    turned, to add yet another metaphor to all this... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 10, 2008
  19. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Compared to the Rupert Murdoch properties, the NYT is fair and balanced. Whoops!
    I stole a phrase from Rupert, perhaps violating a copyright.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 10, 2008
  20. Ben Myers

    Colin Wilson Guest