Windows XP, i875 chipset and Deskjet 895 Cxi USB fun !?!

Discussion in 'HP' started by Taliska, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Taliska

    Taliska Guest

    Hi,

    Don't know if this will be useful to anyone or if it has ben posted before.

    Just installed XP on new Intel Canterwood (i875) motherboard and tried to
    set up my trust old Deskjet 895Cxi printer.

    It was recognised correctly and the drivers installed ok, but then problems
    at the final step - it wouldn't print! Out came a message "This document
    failed to print" on the System Tray. Well sometimes it would print for just
    an inch at the top of the paper and stop.

    Eventually plugged the printer into a slow USB1.? hub and it printed fine.
    Now when I plug it into a fast USB2.0 port - it works (haven't rebooted yet
    mind!)

    Hummm... sounds like something to do with timings - btw the O/S had the USB
    driver patched (came on the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP install disk).

    Just what I found...

    Taliska

    Taliska, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Taliska

    Roy Smith Guest

    Hi,

    I'm willing to bet that you started out connecting the printer to the
    parallel port, right? Because it's known that Win XP sucks at
    bi-directional communications over the parallel port.

    Roy Smith, Jun 26, 2003

  3. Taliska

    Ben Myers Guest

    " Win XP sucks at bi-directional communications over the parallel port." This
    is all part of an industry-wide conspiracy to eliminate "legacy" devices
    including parallel port, serial ports, 1.44MB floppy diskettes, PS/2-style
    keyboard and mouse. That way, they'll get you to believe that your perfectly
    good but older computer and printer are obsolete, and you'll then go out and buy
    replacements, thereby making Billy Gates even wealthier. This is a new form of
    the planned obsolesence that plagues other consumer goods and the auto
    industry.... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 26, 2003
  4. Taliska

    Ben Myers Guest

    This is also a good reason not to upgrade to Windows XP, but to Windows 2000
    instead, following the lead of IT departments in many large corporations and
    government agencies... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 27, 2003