    http://tinyurl.com/yqjcg & http://tinyurl.com/22h5g but still the same
    thing happens.

    Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.

    kal7, Mar 25, 2007

  2. kal7

    HH Guest

    I really do not think the 1260 is XP capable. Max memory on that model is
    160MB, which is totally insufficient for XP. You "might" be able to run
    Windows 2K somewhat acceptably, but even if you could install it, XP would
    barely crawl on that notebook.

    HH

    HH, Mar 25, 2007

  3. kal7

    Ben Myers Guest

    Agreed. I kinda sorta bailed out a client who managed to somehow install XP on
    a Toshiba notebook with only 128MB. I added as much memory as the computer
    would support, so it now has 256MB. Whoopee! I would never ever use an older
    slower notebook with 256MB and XP. I think I would rather watch a bucket fill
    with maple sap or watch the grass grow. Even the P4 XP systems sold a few
    years ago with only 128MB (when memory was expensive) totally suck and it is
    unconscionable that name brand manufacturers sold systems like that.

    I guess I have a strong opinion on the subject... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 25, 2007
  4. kal7

    HH Guest

    As do I. I can't believe vendors are selling Vista machines with 512MB of
    RAM. Maybe for Basic, but who wants that?

    HH

    HH, Mar 25, 2007
  5. kal7

    Ben Myers Guest

    Sticker price rules the day. Never mind what is under the hood. HPaq, Dell,
    Gateway, Lenovo/IBM are killing off each other with their low prices... Ben

    <SNIP>

    Ben Myers, Mar 26, 2007
  6. kal7

    Ben Myers Guest

    Who wants Vista Basic? Will Micro$oft has pretty much killed off all sales of
    XP to consumers. If you want a basic low-end machine, Vista is one of the only
    games in town. The other is Linux, of course, in all of its shades, gradations,
    and distros... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 26, 2007
  7. kal7

    HH Guest

    Which is why I'm keeping my Athlon 64 X2 box with XP until they pry my cold
    clammy hands off it.

    HH

    HH, Mar 26, 2007
  8. kal7

    kal7 Guest

    I managed to get it to install in the end! ...although using a
    stripped down version of XP made with the Nlite program. It actually
    runs a bit faster than Windows 98SE and so far with no problems. I'm
    going to see if it will install on my other Presario 1260 now as I got
    two dirt cheap at a carboot sale. :D

    kal7, Mar 29, 2007