    keep the OS in the dark?

    Just getting started in raiding.

    Thanks!

    Thomas G. Marshall, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Thomas G. Marshall

    Pen Guest

    Neither. The 8300 doesn't have RAID built in and neither does XP.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/index.htm
    The 8300 supports ATA100.
    Here's a place to start finding out about RAID.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

    Pen, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Pen said something like:

    According to the help section within XP pro, and the forums in
    microsoft.com, XP pro most certainly *DOES* have raid support. The
    diskpart.exe utility shows commands for creating the dynamic
    partitions/volumes for it.

    But you've answered the question regarding the 8300. Thanks.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Feb 4, 2006
  4. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    Part of the confusion may lie in the fact that the 8300 uses an Intel 875
    chipset based board. Most of the retail boards with that (premium) chipset
    do indeed have a RAID controller built into the board.

    Okay, maybe not most but certainly many of them do.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 4, 2006
  5. S.Lewis said something like:

    Well, I thought the chances of there being some hardware raid support to be
    minimal, but likely enough to warrant asking about.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Feb 4, 2006
  6. Thomas G. Marshall

    Hank Arnold Guest

    WinXP Pro can certainly provide spanning of drives.

    If hardware RAID is available, it's ***ALWAYS*** better than software RAID.

    Hank Arnold, Feb 4, 2006
  7. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    TGM -

    It's a fair question. RAID hardware was actually integrated on the next
    model, the 8400 (Promise controller, I think........)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 4, 2006
  8. Thomas G. Marshall

    Notan Guest

    Take a look at Device Manager | SCSI and RAID controllers.

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 4, 2006
  9. Hank Arnold said something like:

    Ok, as I suspected. That the 8400 has all what I *really* wanted in the
    8300 {grumble} is just typical for me LOL. PCI-E and SATA is the first
    thing that ticks me off. {chuckle}

    However, the common usage for "spanning" is that a volume spans multiple
    drives, each drive adding more space. I don't want the space, I want
    throughput speed, hence I'm careful to mention striping.

    Here's the "question" I've been mulling over for a few weeks. Suppose I
    have two drives level-0 *Win XP Software* striped, each EIDE. Does software
    raid grant me 2x-ish speed improvement, like hardware striping would?

    Or does the mere fact that it is software calling the shots greatly clobber
    the throughput? I'm not sure why it would, except that there might be a
    bottleneck I'm not aware of when using software.

    Thanks!

    Thomas G. Marshall, Feb 4, 2006
  10. Thomas G. Marshall

    Tom Scales Guest

    My experience was with a Promise Raid hardware controller. Raid 0
    (striping) gained me no more than 10% in average use, 20-30% in heavy
    sustained use. Not worth double the risk of failure.

    Tom Scales, Feb 4, 2006
  11. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    I don't have an 8400, chief. All I got is an 8300 and the controllers look
    like this (with no SCSI/RAID references, as in Win2K.):

    http://i1.tinypic.com/n54nex.jpg

    TGM, further, the 8300 *does* have 2 SATA controllers onboard (along with
    dual IDE), just no RAID. But that's why Promise makes SATA RAID PCI cards:

    http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?segment=RAID HBAs&product_id=107

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 4, 2006
  12. Thomas G. Marshall

    Notan Guest

    Here's what my controller looks like:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/n54xzd.jpg

    By the way, Stew, thanks for the TinyPic link!

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 4, 2006
  13. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    So you've got an 8400, and that's the onboard Promise controller ID in
    device mangler?

    Cool.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 4, 2006
  14. Thomas G. Marshall

    Notan Guest

    No. Yes.

    Glad you think I'm cool. So do my dogs. <g>

    Actually, I may have misled you. If so, it was purely unintentional.

    That was a shot from a Workstation 360.

    I was just showing Thomas(?) what device manager would look like
    with an installed hardware controller.

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 4, 2006
  15. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    PWS snob in da HOWSE!!!!!!

    (g)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 5, 2006
  16. Thomas G. Marshall

    Notan Guest

    Only to those with 8400s, err..., 8300s! <g>

    Seriously... At the time, the PWS was the only model that could
    be configured exactly the way *I* wanted it. Also, it was one of
    the few Dell models that was compatible with a fancy KVM that I
    own. With my office running multiple systems, printers, etc., it
    got mighty hot and noisy. Now that I've placed the PWS in a remote
    area, not only does the office run much cooler, so does the PWS.

    See ya!

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 5, 2006
  17. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    I got a 5150 bustin' my chops right now trying to do a reinstall with RAID1.
    It's pissin' me off .

    Of course I was j/k about the whole PWS snob thing. Truth is, I wish I had
    more opportunity to get my hands on one of those or an XPS model now and
    then.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 5, 2006
  18. Thomas G. Marshall said something like:
    Synapse short----no PCI-E is what ticks me off. SATA is available on the
    8300.

    --
    Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs need
    to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses before being

    Thomas G. Marshall, Feb 5, 2006