    boot windows at all, and I don't have enought HDD space to install
    another OS. At the administrator password I tried leaving it blank and
    it still did not work. Any suggestions much appreciated.

    Thomas, Nov 24, 2007

  2. Thomas

    Rod Speed Guest

    You dont need that to run one from the CD.
    Boot a bootable CD and fix the password problem that way.

    The ultimate boot CD for Win has a password cracker.

    Rod Speed, Nov 24, 2007

  3. Thomas

    Gerard Bok Guest

    It always does. Even if there is no password.
    Can't tell for all Acers but mine doesn't require any admin
    password for the recovery console.
    Just choose 1 to select the windows installation and press enter
    for the password. (So basically, I suggest to try again :)

    Gerard Bok, Nov 24, 2007
  4. Peter Nordahl`s offline NT password recovery <-- google that

    Also. the recovery console is a bit limited, it has its purpose like
    fixing up boot.ini It has some good commands, like 3 FIXMBR,
    BOOTCFG /reinstall, FIXBOOT. It may have others..

    But for other things, you have to tweak things to access a floppy
    drive, and I am not sure if there is an edit.com, there may be a copy
    con, so you could make files that way. It is very limited. Not like a
    command prompt. For that you are better off with Win XP PE. Or
    something like UBCD..

    I don`t know what you hope to do from the recovery console..

    I suggest you consider a Win XP Repair. "off the cd".
    aka win xp repair installation.
    It is different from a repair from the windows recovery console.
    It is like overwriting the key windows xp files.

    this is a classic page- below

    jameshanley39, Nov 28, 2007
  5. Thomas

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    typed on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:30:27 -0800
    (PST):
    Windows XP PE isn't available for most folks. How about Bart's PE?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE

    BillW50, Dec 3, 2007
  6. well, I will just emphasise that if windows is not loading(and he has
    not isolated it to a boot.ini problem), then i think he should do a
    Win XP Repair off the CD..

    But

    yeah - BartPE.. Though I think UBCD - which I mentioned - uses BartPE
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/
    ".... Bart's PE(c) ...accomplish...task"

    That will let him read his drive. replace files. Though he would need
    to know what to replace, and he would need to have the replacement
    files..

    But just for the sake of mentioning alternative solutions, there is
    the HDD in or connected to another machine. And there is the NTFS4DOS
    like stuff.

    jameshanley39, Dec 3, 2007
  7. But you still need the original XP CD (or similar) to set up a bootable
    Barts CD.

    Mike

    Bloke Down The Pub, Dec 3, 2007
  8. Thomas

    BillW50 Guest

    In Bloke Down The Pub typed on Tue, 4 Dec 2007 08:03:30 +0900:
    Well yes! Important to mention I guess. :)

    BillW50, Dec 3, 2007